Find this elderly foreigner who stole a 150 baht bottle of rum from granny

webfact

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Or if you are in charge of the shop then be there in it rather than sleeping somewhere. Not too difficult in the real world.

It is a one-sided situation. It is not the shop owners responsibility to stop a person from stealing. It helps, sure, but it's not their responsibility. 

The only one responsible for stopping a thief from stealing 

.......... is the thief! "Today, I will not steal anything!" 

The shop owner could throw the doors open 24/7 for months on end with no one there........... and STILL nothing that disappears during that time would be their fault! 

"Or if you are in charge of the shop then be there in it rather than sleeping somewhere." 

Bah! Personally, never been a big fan of blaming the victim! 

A thief walked in the store and stole something. 

If the thief hadn't walked in........... or if the thief had walked in but not stolen anything.......... the rest of the conversation would be completely unnecessary!

It is a completely one-sided situation! The blame falls 100% on the thief, and 0% on the sleeping shop owner! 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Most posters on this forum have lots of money compared with a lot of Thais, yet I read

the critics, and just have to wonder what kind of mush is between their ears.

Maybe the woman should get an empty bottle and put an assortment of nam plaa,

and swill to make the next thief really sick if they try to drink it after they steal it.

Not every Thai can just be retired like you posters, try to remember that. There are

thieves all around the world, and they are despicable people.

Most posters on this forum have lots of money compared with a lot of Thais

just because someone is poor it doesn't make them a thief, or more likely to be a thief

• Like 1

Stealing from shops seems to be common everywhere.

In the US the anti-theft packaging is so substantial that you almost need a bolt cutter to extract your product from the packaging once you get it home.

Almost, but many products you cannot open with just your hands, need scissors or box knife.

Sometimes I say bad words when opening packages.

"He said that the thieves before were all Thais - now a farang was stealing from them. They never report theft to the police - they can't be bothered with the fuss."

It would appear from the post that "thieving" from this shop by Thais is a regular occurence, and not reported to the police or any fuss made.

However, once the crime is committed by a farang, then a fuss is made (albeit not reported to the police) 

Regardless of whether the farang has more money than Thais (which is probable , but debatable) and it is a despicable act, I can't help but wonder why "the fuss" is only made when the crime is committed by "an obese, elderly farang"? 

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am always disgusted when I read of foreigners stooping to such miserably low levels.

For the sake of 150 baht it creates publicity which reflects poorly on all of us.

I hope he is identified and can receive the shame he so richly deserves.

Probably get 30 years in the Bangkok Hilton,or let off with a 1000 Wai's! After the customary finger pointing photo shoot by the BIB! ????????????????????

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you say ‘us all’ do you mean yourself ?....  Because the Thai’s I know are not dumb and don’t tar all foreigners with the same brush.... in fact, one of the things like about Thailand is that there is little judgement, we (Foreigners) are generally treated on our own individual merits (as we look and as we behave)....

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no excusing theft, but the ’son’ also seems somewhat ‘xenophobic' in his actions to ignore theft from Thai’s and then going public when its a foreigner. 

...either you are sharing you're account or your mind in dealing in contradicatory positions in the same thread.

26 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

In the US the anti-theft packaging is so substantial that you almost need a bolt cutter to extract your product from the packaging once you get it home.

Almost, but many products you cannot open with just your hands, need scissors or box knife.

I often resort to a 12" pair of sheet metal tin snips to open the clam-pack packaging. That and heavy duty kitchen shears. 

Vintage 12" Inch Worth Brand Metal Tin Snips Scissors Shears | eBayimage.png.660901c0334f2f69838c47d2e5b482c9.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

What are you thinking, what's going through your head, do you understand what you are saying? 

OMG, wake up 

He is a foreigner, he is a visitor.

When you're a visitor you should be on your best behavior, did your parents not teach you right from wrong? 

Forget your thoughts they mean nothing. 

was taught to teach visitors with utmost respect aswell. 

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Stealing is not ok... but a bottle of rum of 150 THB by a foreigner is news??? How much do the Thai people steal of the falangs?? double pricing, as an example..

If stealing is not ok, why are you in the following text making an excuse?

4 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Thanks, I was just sat here wondering about how shop theft is in the USA and you have told me , thanks for that 

I'm glad I don't live in the area where that crime was committed because I look enough like the thief to be mistaken for him. Back in 1969 I saw a photo published in the San Francisco Chronicle of a bank robber that had been taken by one of the newly installed surveillance cameras in a bank. I thought the armed holdup man looked a lot like me. Anyway, I forgot about the bank photo until a few days later when I was stopped on the street by the F.B.I. and questioned about the robbery. Apparently the F.B.I also thought the guy in the photo looked like me. They showed me a better photo of the bank robber and the guy could have been my twin brother. Fortunately, the feds had some way after taking my photo of determining that I wasn't the same individual who robbed the bank. 

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is no excusing theft, but the ’son’ also seems somewhat ‘xenophobic' in his actions to ignore theft from Thai’s and then going public when its a foreigner. 

It's awful that people will just rip off shops like this where people are struggling to make a living. 

Despicable foreigner, but also despicable Thai’s, despicable anyone who would do the same thing. 

xenophobic or not this Foreign/farang whatever name you prefer is scum stealing from people like this ..its times like this i wouldn't be against a group of the boys giving him a good kicking low life scum..paints a bad picture for all the decent foreigners here .. Quality foreigners in Thailand eh 

He had no-one to give the money to and perhaps decided that leaving money laying around wasn't a great idea. Perhaps he came back later when someone was awake. We don't know that he didn't, do we, a day or two later.

can i get a bottle of what you'd drinking mate ..

He had no-one to give the money to and perhaps decided that leaving money laying around wasn't a great idea. Perhaps he came back later when someone was awake. We don't know that he didn't, do we, a day or two later.

Yeh, riiiiiiiight.............????

1 minute ago, Harveyboy said:

can i get a bottle of what you'd drinking mate ..

What would you do if you made a trip to a store and there was no-one to take your money? Just go home again, or help yourself and return later to pay? Too many here assuming he was stealing with no knowledge or proof that he did.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

xenophobic or not this Foreign/farang whatever name you prefer is scum stealing from people like this ..its times like this i wouldn't be against a group of the boys giving him a good kicking low life scum..paints a bad picture for all the decent foreigners here .. Quality foreigners in Thailand eh 

How severe would you like the kickin to be ?

A few broken bones ?

Hospitalization ?

I.C.U ?

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

What would you do if you made a trip to a store and there was no-one to take your money? Just go home again, or help yourself and return later to pay? Too many here assuming he was stealing with no knowledge or proof that he did.

I reckon one would walk out or wait, no good a farang taking the risk of being accused of theft, is it...? ???? 

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yes, he may have even seen the old granny asleep and didn't want to wake  her up , or he may have thought that she had died and thought that they'd be no point in trying to wake her up 

21 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

The shop is open 24 hours. The report states it sells mostly cigarettes and alcohol, and the old Mother was asleep when the farang came in.

There are times when the sale of alcohol is prohibited  ...before 11am, from 2-5pm. and after some time late evening. ,. though I doubt that stops them selling alcohol 24 hours a day

Is it really necessary for the shop to be open 24hours  a day?  Open shorter hours and let the Mother have a decent sleep.....................AND OBEY THE LAW!

AND OBEY THE LAW! ???? If everyone wants to obey the laws and rules of every authority, then they may as well not bother getting up out of bed in the morning.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But it can make them desperate, and a desperate person is more likely to commit desperate acts. 

In this case the guy must surely have been able to afford 150 baht...  so why didn’t he pay?

Just a scummy mentality ?

----------

I was having a few beers with some guys after football a few weeks ago, one lad turned up (a mate of one of the other guys who’d been playing).  

After a few beers and a feed, I paid my bill and was leaving, the staff asked me where one of the other guys was (this ‘mate of one of the other guys’) the staff had his bill, I didn’t know, I figured he’d gone to the toilet. I left. 

I walked outside to the main road (50m), I then saw the other lad waiting for a taxi. I told him he’d forgotten his bill, he just shrugged...  Yep, that one is now pegged as a scummy to$$er. 

Yes i really hate people like that stealing and theft. If you can't afford something then don't take. Now if it was some rice or bread and the guy was starving ok.

But alcohol like that guy you know or this guy... i mean that is really low. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes i really hate people like that stealing and theft. If you can't afford something then don't take. Now if it was some rice or bread and the guy was starving ok.

But alcohol like that guy you know or this guy... i mean that is really low. 

Agreed... If there were a certain Jean-Valjean element there may even be some sympathy, whatever the nationality. 

However, the theft of booze either highlights a drinking issue and underlying financial woes or simply a ‘thieving pikey’ attitude in general. 

22 hours ago, Denim said:

A lock on the cabinet , although very expensive , might be a help.

If people are always stealing stuff then move the ' expensive stuff ' behind the counter , as in my local mom and pop stores. God helps those who help themselves.

But God help those who get caught helping themselves!!

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

For the sake of 150 baht it creates publicity which reflects poorly on all of us.

His actions do not reflect, in any way, on the rest of us!    I'm sure no one in your area now assumes that you're a thief, I know that no one now thinks I'm one.