Thailand reports 25,140 new COVID-19 cases, 89 deaths, 24,854 recoveries

webfact

1.jpg

File photo. Credit Thai PBS

Thailand on Friday (8th April) reported 25,140 new COVID-19 cases, 24,854 recoveries and 89 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Friday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,833,048 with 25,877 deaths.

The news comes as the Thai Ministry of Public Health has predicted that there will be a maximum average of 50,000 COVID-19 cases a day after the Songkran holidays next week, about 3,000 new cases of lung inflammation and 150 daily fatalities, if public cooperation in complying with safety measures remains at the present level.

The scenario, as painted by the Public Health Ministry, is that, by April 19th, the number of new infections will surge to 50,000 a day and, in early May, the number of lung inflammation cases will be around 3,000 a day, with about 900 cases requiring ventilators, and the death toll will be around 150 per day.**

**Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update8APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Newly reported COVID cases declined slightly to 25,140 while new deaths also declined slightly to 89 on Friday, but COVID patients hospitalized in serious condition rose to 1,899 and set a new record high for the year.

The new cases count fell from the 26,081 reported on Thursday, while new deaths also fell from the 91 reported on Thursday. Both new cases and new deaths for the day were below those reported one week ago, and also below the prior highs for the year.

The exception in Friday’s update from the Ministry of Public Health was the tally of COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition, which increased from the 1,846 reported on Thursday and set the new high for the year. Total COVID cases under care also increased slightly to 248,254 from the 248,057 reported Thursday.

367062305_Dash2022-04-08.jpg.f1edc4a8e5ce8f5b8e7d1d5a7f955a28.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/537583347859994

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Holiday testing numbers and unfortunately no better then weekend testing.  Next week with the holidays will be Interesting as well.

In this holiday period when case counts are sporadic at best then I guess better to keep an eye on the ICU and ventilated cases, they both hit a record high for this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

In this holiday period when case counts are sporadic at best then I guess better to keep an eye on the ICU and ventilated cases, they both hit a record high for this year.

Those on ventilators once again increased to 815

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Those on ventilators once again increased to 815

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

A most distressing situation.  I hope they are not doing what was done to my dad in the UK when he was dying a few years ago. They just kept a very severely ill old man ticking along.  It was awful for everyone.  Terrible!  Judging by the reports of patients in 'thepattayanews.com' Omicron deaths are almost always in patients already with severe personal health issues.

As regards the pandemic, I think it's going to be like this every day for the next few months.  Omicron will have its way with the whole population, so while holding back may feel instinctively right it might actually worsen the whole thing.  Thailand could end up with a never ending pandemic and a trashed economy.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

A most distressing situation.  I hope they are not doing what was done to my dad in the UK when he was dying a few years ago. They just kept a very severely ill old man ticking along.  It was awful for everyone.  Terrible!  Judging by the reports of patients in 'thepattayanews.com' Omicron deaths are almost always in patients already with severe personal health issues.

As regards the pandemic, I think it's going to be like this every day for the next few months.  Omicron will have its way with the whole population, so while holding back may feel instinctively right it might actually worsen the whole thing.  Thailand could end up with a never ending pandemic and a trashed economy.

So in your view just pull the plug stop intubating and let them suffocate to death, so nice of you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Phuket marks 203 new COVID cases, one more death

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 203 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Apr 7), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 48,300.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-203-new-covid-cases-one-more-death-83734.php

Image: PPHO

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So in your view just pull the plug stop intubating and let them suffocate to death, so nice of you.

It's usually more a case of deciding not to intubate in the first place. To recap, most of the reports I see involve people who are old and have severe personal underlying health issues. They are usually heavily sedated.  Most terminal pneumonia sufferers are not gasping for breath like that- they just kind of go in to a slow shut down.   I have also seen 2 close relatives kept alive and suffering greatly for no good reason. By the time they died they were emaciated corpses- even stank.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's usually more a case of deciding not to intubate in the first place. To recap, most of the reports I see involve people who are old and have severe personal underlying health issues. They are usually heavily sedated.  Most terminal pneumonia sufferers are not gasping for breath like that- they just kind of go in to a slow shut down.   I have also seen 2 close relatives kept alive and suffering greatly for no good reason. By the time they died they were emaciated corpses- even stank.

Well over 50% of all those intubated survive. One of the longest lasted over 100 days intubated, he had multiple comorbidity and survived. 

In Vietnam an English patient spent 68 days on a ventilator and survived. 

Your post really did make it sound like those with comorbidity should be disregarded and smacked of throwing them under the bus. In reality all patients should have the treatment to survive no matter how old they are. 

Only when ICU's are full should Triage be used, meaning that a choice must be made between patients who receive the needed ICU or ventilator care.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well over 50% of all those intubated survive. One of the longest lasted over 100 days intubated, he had multiple comorbidity and survived. 

In Vietnam an English patient spent 68 days on a ventilator and survived. 

Your post really did make it sound like those with comorbidity should be disregarded and smacked of throwing them under the bus. In reality all patients should have the treatment to survive no matter how old they are. 

Only when ICU's are full should Triage be used, meaning that a choice must be made between patients who receive the needed ICU or ventilator care.

I don't know.. It is a difficult situation. My sister got Covid last year 63 years old. She was kept in coma and intubated for 2 months. She was very weak when she woke up. She had to stay in the hospital for a month longer because it looked that she still was not fully recovered. But it improved and she was transferred to a recovery centre. On Monday she arrived and on Friday night in the same week she got a fall back and died... So I am still wondering, was it not better that she had died sooner? her husband and son could not do anything when she was very suffocating because of the Covid and because the doctors said that it could take up a year before she was most fully recovered, all the suffering in the mean time..Smacking under  a bus is bit too far, but let them quietly go....It is the same for cancer patients. If there is no treatment anymore possible, why with all kind of medication extent their life/suffering, because there will a day that we have to say goodbye to them and is quality of life not better length??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't know.. It is a difficult situation. My sister got Covid last year 63 years old. She was kept in coma and intubated for 2 months. She was very weak when she woke up. She had to stay in the hospital for a month longer because it looked that she still was not fully recovered. But it improved and she was transferred to a recovery centre. On Monday she arrived and on Friday night in the same week she got a fall back and died... So I am still wondering, was it not better that she had died sooner? her husband and son could not do anything when she was very suffocating because of the Covid and because the doctors said that it could take up a year before she was most fully recovered, all the suffering in the mean time..Smacking under  a bus is bit too far, but let them quietly go....It is the same for cancer patients. If there is no treatment anymore possible, why with all kind of medication extent their life/suffering, because there will a day that we have to say goodbye to them and is quality of life not better length??

I understand what you are saying but that is after the fact, medical professionals will or should do all they can to help a patient survive if they think there is a chance of it, they cannot always be right.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I understand what you are saying but that is after the fact, medical professionals will or should do all they can to help a patient survive if they think there is a chance of it, they cannot always be right.

Consider the Hippocratic Oath.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mahtin said:

Consider the Hippocratic Oath.

I think I covered that: "medical professionals will or should do all they can to help a patient survive if they think there is a chance of it"

Although perhaps I should have worded it as "if they think there is a chance of the outcome being beneficial for the patient..............."

• Like 1

We now have the case numbers for 7th April showing a little rise from 358 cases on 6th April.

Health officials on Thursday (April 7) reported 371 new COVID-19 cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, of which 97 cases were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 52 cases were found in Pranburi, 49 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 25 cases in Kuiburi, 21 cases in Thap Sakae, 41 cases in Bang Saphan, 6 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 80 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the province today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/april-7-prachuap-reports-371-new-covid-19-cases-97-in-hua-hin/

• Like 1

The true number of Covid infections in #Thailand is closer to 100,000 per day, according to CCSA Advisor Dr Udom Kachintorn. He said that because the number of internal cases is much higher than imported cases, entry restrictions could be lifted by July.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1512295356293279757

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The true number of Covid infections in #Thailand is closer to 100,000 per day, according to CCSA Advisor Dr Udom Kachintorn. He said that because the number of internal cases is much higher than imported cases, entry restrictions could be lifted by July.

It's a very tricky area that was recognized some time ago in the UK, and very much backs on to the 'with covid' or 'from covid' argument.

Nobody it seems can truly come up with accurate figures https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Important excerpt: The headline published numbers in publications to date have been “inpatients with confirmed Covid” without differentiating between those in hospital “for” Covid and those in hospital “with” Covid. Recognising the combination of high community infections rates, with the reduced likelihood of admission for those who contract Covid in the community and are fully vaccinated, the Covid SitRep was enhanced in June 2021 to add a requirement for providers to distinguish between those being primarily treated ‘for’ Covid and those ‘with’ Covid but for whom the primary reason for being in hospital was non-Covid related. In practice this distinction is not always clear at the point of admission when the patient’s record has not been fully clinically coded. In light of this, trusts have been asked to provide this “for” and “with” split on a ‘best endeavours’ basis.

55 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The Dr maybe somewhere near the mark, at least according to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation current model for Thailand. 

Its not been updated since March 14th but on that date as we can see the mean estimate was decreasing and at 250,000 per day. If it was following the trend down then it would be around 150,000 a day now.

However to contradict that, the ICU numbers and ventilated cases are going up so who knows....lol

image.png.93058db5e87439e3ae0aa63ea0a8dd8a.png

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-models#institute-for-health-metrics-and-evaluation-ihme

• Like 2

AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine shelf-life extended in Thailand

James Teague, Country President, AstraZeneca (Thailand) Ltd., said: “The newly extended shelf-life of our vaccine is welcome news that will greatly benefit the national vaccination programme, ensuring that doses can be safely stored for longer before they are administered. As the third dose booster programme is further implemented, AstraZeneca will continue to support the government in providing vaccine doses to help protect against COVID-19.”

https://www.astrazeneca.com/country-sites/thailand/press-releases/astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-shelf-life-extended-in-thailand.html

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

(1/2) The number of daily new infections is not 50K or 60K but likely over 100K, said Udom Kachintorn, an advisor to the Center for #COVID19 Situation Admistration, Friday. Udom said this is because about 2 to 3 times the number of those at risk were not tested. #Thailand #KE

(2/2) "I am worried that it will spread further during Songkran because people will gather," Udom said, referring to the traditional Thai New Year which starts Wednesday

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1512352417173880833

The UK has a record number of infections as estimated by the ONS last week- a staggering, eye watering 4.9 million walking around with the virus last week.  Yet hospitalizations and intubations are much lower:  20,409. and 361.  That's staggeringly different to Thailand, which seemingly has far fewer infections. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Oddly though, daily deaths in the UK regularly greatly exceed those in Thailand (317 latest).https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/30/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Maybe it's just a difference in treatment protocols and the way statistics are calculated.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

The UK has a record number of infections as estimated by the ONS last week- a staggering, eye watering 4.9 million walking around with the virus last week.  Yet hospitalizations and intubations are much lower:  20,409. and 361.  That's staggeringly different to Thailand, which seemingly has far fewer infections. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

Oddly though, daily deaths in the UK regularly greatly exceed those in Thailand (317 latest).https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/30/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today

Maybe it's just a difference in treatment protocols and the way statistics are calculated.

Try a difference in vaccinations as being the number 1 issue.  Then those that had certain vaccines need a booster and have yet to receive them as well for number 2,  and then add in the elderly lacking in vaccinations, number 3, and then all of these things have been pointed out to you and others time and time again.  Nothing new, just a lack of....

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Try a difference in vaccinations as being the number 1 issue.  Then those that had certain vaccines need a booster and have yet to receive them as well for number 2,  and then add in the elderly lacking in vaccinations, number 3, and then all of these things have been pointed out to you and others time and time again.  Nothing new, just a lack of....

But deaths are so much higher in the UK?  We'd expect them to be much lower in a better vaccinated country.  And in indeed that is the case with hospitalizations and intubations- but not deaths.

Oh well- I guess it's the general head scratch that happens when Thailand is compared with a western country.

Few Thais protect themselves against Covid, survey finds

A recent opinion survey shows that many Thais still do things that put them at risk of contracting Covid-19, while some lack basic knowledge on protecting themselves.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014343