Extension of ED visa based on employment in Thailand

Hello guys, I hope I find you well. I am in dire need of some advice regarding my visa extension.

I am an undergraduate student, currently on internship (finishing on the 22nd of this month) and scheduled to graduate on the 15th of May next month.

Nonetheless, my university intends to cancel our visa (me and other students) on the 30th of May next month since we would no longer be students.

On the other hand,  the company where I am doing my internship, plans to offer me employment by May or June, and they are ready to assist me with all the necessary paperwork for applying for a work permit. 

My question now is, is it possible to extend my ED visa based on employment and apply for a work permit without having to leave Thailand?

I am from Zimbabwe and having to go back to Africa is quite a costly process. Consequently, I can not apply for the Non-B Visa or Tourist visa in embassies located in Thailand neighbouring countries due to the embassies' policy.

I will be grateful to anyone who can provide me with necessary information. Thank you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If a work permit office would accept a work permit application and issue a approval letter for it you could apply for a extension of stay based upon working for a company.

I see, in your opinion, what are the chances that the Ministry of Labour will issue a work permit or accept my application with an ED visa?

Edited by Kuda Madzivire

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 2:36 PM, Kuda Madzivire said:

I see, in your opinion, what are the chances that the Ministry of Labour will issue a work permit or accept my application with an ED visa?

They would not issue the work permit, only a letter of approval. You would need to take that to immigration with all the other paperwork and apply for a change from ED to Non-B.

Unless your country is on the list of banned countries you may also need to do a border run and return on a 30 day exempt stamp.

Welcome to the world of "Grey Laws" when it comes to immigration. :wai:

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

They would not issue the work permit, only a letter of approval. You would need to take that to immigration with all the other paperwork and apply for a change from ED to Non-B.

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories while in the country. Only the reason for the extension of stay will be changed.

• Like 1