Seahorse Ferry

pontious

9 hours ago, HammerMan said:

Interesting thoughts

I'm surprised you, and your company, did not consider this.  Would it not be part of due diligence? 

9 hours ago, HammerMan said:

we have no conflict with Bangkok Airways

I doubt he will see it that way. 

Today you are about an "onboard experience" but tomorrow you could change to transport.  Why would he allow you to put your foot in the door? 

Why would he accept the loss of even 1 baht from a passenger that may have flown to Samui, but chose to sail there, because they could? 

Leasing planes is not cheap, and they have to have a high booking rate to be profitable, more so now, with the higher cost of fuel. 

Some of the wealthiest Thai's, and successful Thai companies, got to that position through monopoly, and not by acquiring, but by using connections to halt their competition. 

I wish you all the best.  I am all for variety and choice here.  However, if the project is allowed to go ahead, you can be sure it's only because it benefits such people, either directly, or indirectly, and possibly corruptly, also, and most likely on an ongoing basis. 

Experience on a boat or not. 

If I ever should go to Samui, it will in the most convenient and cheap way, which means taking a flight to NST and a transfer to Samui. Alternatively I could also imagine a train journey. 

For sure I won't use Bangkok Airways.

If the seahorse ferry can beat the price, I'm all in 

But it starts already with the problem, how to get to Sattahip. 

From my current home, I take a taxi to Swampy or train to DMK.

Can't leave the family car for a few days somewhere 

On 8/20/2022 at 3:12 AM, CLW said:

Experience on a boat or not. 

If I ever should go to Samui, it will in the most convenient and cheap way, which means taking a flight to NST and a transfer to Samui. Alternatively I could also imagine a train journey. 

For sure I won't use Bangkok Airways.

If the seahorse ferry can beat the price, I'm all in 

But it starts already with the problem, how to get to Sattahip. 

From my current home, I take a taxi to Swampy or train to DMK.

Can't leave the family car for a few days somewhere 

Interesting post. 

The Chinese will once again be the main demographic of tourists here in the future.  Unless it's part of their package, they will not be getting on the boat. 

The Russians will not be back anytime soon. 

The Indians are returning in numbers, but do not get many days in country.

There's the expats, who may be price conscious.

What market is this route, and "onboard experience" targeting? 

• 3 weeks later...

I am all for variety and choice here, so I wish this project the best.

I have just ran a flight booking through Bangkok Airways for the 19th October.  Price was 2110 baht one way, including 20kg luggage.  Flight time 70 mins. 

I suppose the question is, will passengers prefer the onboard experience your service is offering, or, an extra night in a Samui restaurant / bar / nightclub?

Any idea of your drink prices onboard? 

Edited by Leaver

16 hours ago, treetops said:

The old Seahorse website seems dead and the new SPcruise one just occupied by an under maintenance placeholder.  Where can we find out more details?

Unfortunately, like most things here, no one gets the importance of having these up and running ASAP.. I've been pushing them for months. Both are being upgraded and I've been told they'll be operating later in the week.. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, HammerMan said:

We canceled the service to Songkhla basically because of zero support/endless frustrations from the local administration, lack of a fixed berth and the inability of anyone to clear the fishing nets.. it was sad because passenger numbers had reached almost 300. High fuel costs became the final straw. Currently the vessel is being prepared for going to Samui and the delay is dredging a channel at the jetty in Samui which will be completed in June. The ferry will operate more as a themed "party" cruise than a ferry, but we are adding more sleeping areas and additional entertainment areas. Expect to relaunch in July.

Sad to hear, I was waiting for vax rules to ease to make the trip but alas it is never to be. Good luck with the Samui hustle, hope it works out.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, Leaver said:

I am all for variety and choice here, so I wish this project the best.

I have just ran a flight booking through Bangkok Airways for the 19th October.  Price was 2110 baht one way, including 20kg luggage.  Flight time 70 mins. 

I suppose the question is, will passengers prefer the onboard experience your service is offering, or, an extra night in a Samui restaurant / bar / nightclub?

Any idea of your drink prices onboard? 

Biggest plus for me, you can't take your truck as part of your luggage on Bkk Air

On 9/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, HammerMan said:

If flying makes you happy, go for it. From what I saw at the weekend passengers absolutely loved it, but the big plus for them was bringing their cars and motorbikes.

Didn't you say the service was about an onboard experience, not transport?

On 9/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, HammerMan said:

Sailing in the evening and waking up in Samui is not exactly an unpleasant experience, but each to their own.

Unless trying to sleep in a chair. 

8 hours ago, kuma said:

Biggest plus for me, you can't take your truck as part of your luggage on Bkk Air

I understand that.  It remains to be seen if there are enough customers with vehicles to keep the route profitable, and if they with visit Samui, with their vehicle, more than once.

How many tourists have trucks?  ????   

9 hours ago, NickyLouie said:

Is the route to Songkhla now closed?

Nicky, for the moment yes sorry, it was stopped. However, we are looking at introducing a weekly service Sattahip/Samui/Songkhla/Samui and return to Sattahip. I believe if this is agreed it can start in October.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Didn't you say the service was about an onboard experience, not transport?

Unless trying to sleep in a chair. 

I think you need to visit the vessel and see for yourself what its like and then you can decide what suits you best. Your welcome anytime to visit.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I understand that.  It remains to be seen if there are enough customers with vehicles to keep the route profitable, and if they with visit Samui, with their vehicle, more than once.

How many tourists have trucks?  ????   

Actually you would be surprised how many trucking companies have approached us. However, the current focus is passengers and we'll see how things develop going forward.. 

18 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

I think you need to visit the vessel and see for yourself what its like and then you can decide what suits you best. Your welcome anytime to visit.

You know what Thailand is like, "Always ask price first."  ???? 

I would be looking at trying your "onboard experience" and flying back, so no need for me to take my motorbike. 

I asked how much was a drink onboard, you didn't reply. 

(no idea why some text is in bold)

Edited by Leaver

17 minutes ago, HammerMan said:

Actually you would be surprised how many trucking companies have approached us. However, the current focus is passengers and we'll see how things develop going forward.. 

So, you are transport, not just about being an "onboard experience." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, Leaver said:

how much were they charging to take a medium size motor bike on the plane ?

Exactly ....

Edited by piston broke

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

how much were they charging to take a medium size motor bike on the plane ?

Exactly ....

Geez, do you think this service might be competing with flying to Samui and renting a motorbike for 200 baht a day?

Yes, yes, I know, rocket science.  ????