Can Pattaya Police Removing Articles from A Dead Person's Condo?

Banana7

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The police will have a rummage around your belongings first, take what they want then if you're lucky they might follow the will instructions i.e. contact the lawyer

Well my executor has a key to my condo and hopefully finds out about my demise before the Thai police can get to my condo ???? 

The police informs the embassy and the embassy tries to find the nearest relatives and informs those relatives about the death.

Many embassies also inform the family members, who might be in a country far away, about service companies in Thailand who manage these situations. I.e. maybe the father in Germany gives the Thai repatriation company the right to collect things from the apartment. That company will also sort out any payments to the hospitals, etc.

• Like 1

Obviously the items are not taken for safe keeping if he owned the condo already, specially not a random guitar lol. I think the question is: What is it Pattaya police can not do? Their job.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, aussiexpat said:

If police entered his condo and took away assets then this is really disgusting. Shows the depth of Thai police corruption 

my ozzie friend died in aug 2016.....on a friday.....

In the morning he had taken 17k baht from atm machine......

when his son and daughter arrived a week later 9k was missing....also some rings and watches......

WE NEVER EVER FOUND WHERE ANYTHING HAD GONE!!!

HIS laptop was still in room.....son and daughter take it back to australia......

I had been given hos mobile phone but gave it to son and daughter which they also take bk to ozzieland...

Never saw or was told of any embassy staff arriving to the condo which he rented.........

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:49 AM, possum1931 said:

That's a good possibility, but due to the RTPs and their fancy ranked senior officers reputation of money grabbing, they have to make up for what they paid for their ranks, it cannot be overlooked. 

Joe Ferrari immediately springs to mind.

I'm not saying the police didn't lift the items, just saying, without seeing it yourself, I wouldn't be accusing them based on third hand information. 

Management, cleaners, Thai partner etc may all have access. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:36 AM, Banana7 said:

No I wasn't present when the items were removed but a neighbour saw the the police with the articles in hand leaving the condo. The condo was locked and the police had the keys to the condo. Passport, credit cards, wallet, bank cards were at the hospital, provided as collateral for payment of services rendered.

My concern is police accountability. If something is removed, a receipt should be provided by police and maybe also photographic evidence. What is the proper legal process for accounting of confiscated property by police?

Add the neighbor to the list of suspects.  ????  

If the rent is current nobody should have been in the unit unless they have a death certificate to have it opened by the landlord, maybe with the police present, or with a locksmith if the house is owned.

Nobody needs to get in for ID, because without ID there's no way to know where they lived in the 1st place. I don't think the hospital admits here without ID, But not 100% sure on that.

ID is used to notify the embassy, embassy notifies family, and either family or executor receives a death certificate from the coroner. Then they show up at the residence and vacate possessions.

That's the blessing and curse of living here. People don't follow the rules, so you never know if what happened is right or not. Things just sink into a "gray area". It's just somebody that decided on their own with no oversight.

Edited by JimTripper

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

If the rent is current nobody should have been in the unit unless they have a death certificate to have it opened by the landlord, maybe with the police present, or with a locksmith if the house is owned.

That may sound best, but if it is rented the owners want the body out and the belongings so they can re-rent. I think the first port of call is to get the police involved, and nothing moves without their say-so. That is from some experience too. People don't often say no to them. 

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That may sound best, but if it is rented the owners want the body out and the belongings so they can re-rent. I think the first port of call is to get the police involved, and nothing moves without their say-so. That is from some experience too. People don't often say no to them. 

They died at the hospital, not at home.