Banged up in paradise: how our dream holiday to Thailand ended before it began

webfact

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Picture clue............... see if you can guess where I am.......

Resort name is First Inn........When I say resort.....I mean it's a 'Thai' resort.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 16.45.18.jpg

"a modest  hostel with massages  and free  wifi"

As Basil Fawlty  would say:  "say  no more, say no more".....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Anybody flying to an international destination for a short holiday, is not thinking

very smartly. If I was planning to go to Thailand, it would be for at least 2 months, then if I had to

do a COVID quarantine  it would only affect a bit of my stay. People who have 2 or 3 weeks only, should go somewhere  like Mexico or a country that does not make them test after arrival.

Simple solution, to a lot of planning.

I did exactly that, took Thailand completely off the list. And i had a lot of time. 

I think most frequent travelers are smart enough to stay away from countries like Thailand.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, Cambodger said:

I've not had any vaccines, never even taken a PCR or an antigen LFT test. I happy with my decision and watching this play out for now.

Exactly ! same here ! but I am surprised that we are even allowed to say it here ! so many internet csumbag do not allow people to tell the truth !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thailandbeachisland said:

Exactly ! same here ! but I am surprised that we are even allowed to say it here ! so many internet csumbag do not allow people to tell the truth !

I've spoken my mind about it from the start, most of my comments have been removed...

Though it seems the can of worms has been opened now, at least in the west and the censorship is getting futile. 

Interestingly there was a vague story the other day that 777 people had been arrested in Thailand for disinformation.

This seems to coincide with lots of shocking Toc Tok videos from inside LOS I've seen appearing on Telegram.

The truth will come to light from the insurance companies when all is said and done, they won't carry the can financially either way.

As they say "No Refunds"  "It was your choice, no one forced you to take it"

On 4/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, gearbox said:

One can improve the odds of not getting banged up by doing extra self testing.

Last time I came to Phuket late February I did the required pre flight PCR test, then did ATK test just before going to the airport. If the ATK test was positive I would have cancelled the flight. Then on the day 5 in Phuket I did extra ATK test again, prior to the PCR test. If positive it would have given me time to check what my options were and could possibly negotiate something with the hotel.

The ATK tests are just a couple of bucks, but give extended time to sort out any expected positive test issues.

This lady was not “ banged up “ which means jailed ! Certainly  “ detained” or “ inconvenienced” though! ????

7 hours ago, garyk said:

I did exactly that, took Thailand completely off the list. And i had a lot of time. 

I think most frequent travelers are smart enough to stay away from countries like Thailand.

Thanks for dropping in and let us know how Hawaii is when you get a chance. ????

Edited by JimTripper

15 hours ago, blazes said:

So, instead of being coy, tell us where you are.  Or, if you're too shy to be so precise, at least tell us the general area.   (I have known resorts that fit that description in the area north-west of Chiang Mai.)

However,  I was paying around 1700 baht/night....

Two titles I have learned to be very wary of in Thailand..., Mansion and Resort, the definition I carried from  the UK did not fit well here. Both can be both ends of the spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:21 AM, Cambodger said:

There's quite a few countries now that have dropped all mandates including vaccine. I can go to Mexico, Portugal, Ireland, Scandinavia, Iceland and quite a few more now including my home country UK. 

Like I say I'm happy to sit it out for now and see what happen, I don't really have any real urge or need to travel at the moment amongst all the madness and uncertainty.

If  your a guy Mexico may be ok but as the article below states at least 7 women disapear in Mexico every day. Crime is a major concern to retire there.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/haunting-final-photo-of-missing-mexican-woman-draws-attention-to-countrywide-scandal/ar-AAWm4Xq?li=BBnb7Kz