Hold Your Head UP!

Dear Friends, 

Please take a moment to think of William James and his bear.

We feel fear because we run.

We feel pleasure because we smile, especially in LOS.

We feel angst because we hang our heads.

“William James’s laboratory research on sensation and perception was conducted in the first half of his career. His belief in the connection between mind and body led him to develop what has become known as the James-Lange Theory of emotion, which posits that human experience of emotion arises from physiological changes in response to external events.  Inspired by evolutionary theory, James’s theoretical perspective on psychology came to be known as functionalism, which sought causal relationships between internal states and external behaviors.”

Of course, we know that James said of Psychology:  “This is no science; it is only the hope of science”.

Yes, sadly, much of Psychology is not science, as anyone would know, if one has been shrunk, which I have been, many times, to no avail.

Yet, there is hope, great hope, for Experimental Psychology, which is one of the interesting things I studied, among many interesting things, at various schools scattered about in China, America, and Canada, though I never studied in Scotland, like some.

You know, there are fears and then there are “fears”, irrational fears which still can do some harm, if we let them.

For example, I have a very specific phobia of being forced to watch the Annie Hall film, Woody Allen’s 1977 flick.  My phobia involves being tied to a chair, with my eyelids held open by metal clasps, and being forced to watch Annie Hall, over and over, as if I were in A Clockwork Orange scene. Such a true horror show.

There is really so much to fear these days, in this modern world of ours, besides bears.

Maybe this is why they once called our age the Age of Anxiety.

But why should Auden, or human isolation, get you down.

Maybe, in the end, guys like Musk will see us through, though very doubtful.

And, when guys like Musk are not enough, then what better place to be, other than Thailand?

No matter what happens in this world, IMHO, the best place to be is Thailand.

Just turn off your internet, and CHILL….  Turn off your internet, lie back, and read a book, some book by Melville, such as Billy Budd, for example.

Get back to nature.  Lie in a hammock, with a book you like, such as A Passage to India, under a palm tree, with coconuts above you, and Thai myna birds beside you.  Is this not the essence of paradise?

What I mean is, my friends…..   Here we are in one of the most beautiful places on Earth, surrounded by friendly natives, and such a magnificent culture.

What could go wrong?  What could BE wrong?

Well, the ONLY thing that could go wrong, my friends, might be in one’s mind, if one is not careful..

Don’t let your mind play tricks on you and fool you, as William James of Harvard cautioned.

Don’t run, unless you wish to be afraid.

And, smile if you want to be happy.

And........  And.........

Just lie back, and unwind.

Regards,

Glob

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tjintx said:

You're on a roll GammaGlobulin!

I miss Jack Bruce from Lanarkshire.

Dearly.

What about you?

He sang his heart out for the betterment of Mankind.

Still, we must go on...

Hold your head up.

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

I miss Jack Bruce from Lanarkshire.

Dearly.

What about you?

He sang his heart out for the betterment of Mankind.

Still, we must go on...

Hold your head up.

Not so much Jack Bruce from Lanarkshire but Joe Cocker from Sheffield who could better almost anyone's original song.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

But then, it would just be a cover.

Please, they were never "just" covers!   From "With a Little Help from My Friends" to "Summer in the City" to "What's Going On", they were new and brilliant interpretations.   It would be like the Dresdner Orchestra doing "just a cover" of Beethoven!

Edited by tjintx
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, tjintx said:

Please, they were never "just" covers!   From "With a Little Help from My Friends" to "Summer in the City" to "What's Going On", they were new and brilliant interpretations.   It would be like the Dresdner Orchestra doing "just a cover" of Beethoven!

Or, it might be like Andre Previn and Ravi Shankar, for that matter, in London.

Firstly, congratulations on one of your shortest titles for a topic yet. A mere four words, impressive. Keep up the good work. ????

A very relatable theory as far as I am concerned. I confess my moods are very much influenced by external events however hard I try to remain unaffected. Serious question; how do you avoid that? Buddhist acceptance? Gallic insouciance? Cussed indifference?   

Hope may spring eternal but it can be bl**dy difficult to maintain sometimes.  

12 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Firstly, congratulations on one of your shortest titles for a topic yet. A mere four words, impressive. Keep up the good work. ????

A very relatable theory as far as I am concerned. I confess my moods are very much influenced by external events however hard I try to remain unaffected. Serious question; how do you avoid that? Buddhist acceptance? Gallic insouciance? Cussed indifference?   

Hope may spring eternal but it can be bl**dy difficult to maintain sometimes.  

Thank you.

Today, as you say, only four words in the topic's title.

Just be careful what you wish for:

Four little Soldier Boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Soldier Boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two little Soldier Boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Soldier Boy left all alone; He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Not sure why some posters insist on carrying on like a two bobs watch with what i conciser to be drivel and waste space on these pages...

Space is infinite.

Therefore, one must consider, if space is infinite, then does wasted space have any true meaning in this universe.

End_of_universe.jpg.0cf401f6aeaef996c219ed0269bfcae1.jpg

The above geometry our universe determines the future.

For example, is the geometry of the universe flat, or hyperbolic.

Still, one can imagine that we will never run out of bits and bytes, even if we occasionally seem to waste them.

Most importantly, drivel is never a waste of time.  This is the first Law of Human Dynamics.

Without drivel, social interaction would cease, and we might revert to being chimps or lemurs, maybe.

Drivel is good, therefore.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Not sure why some posters insist on carrying on like a two bobs watch with what i conciser to be drivel and waste space on these pages...

For many of my early years in Thailand, it was necessary that I be available during working hours USA time and even sometimes for UN Livestreams on Geneva time.

Because of that, and because now I am just plain old, I am often wide awake at 3 AM and sound asleep at 3 PM Thailand time.

And who is sometimes dominating the AN/TV postings and new topics at that 3 AM or so time? Our Dear Friend. And at least for now:

What happens on the Pub, stays on the Pub.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, ezzra said:

You could ask the question, and then you might learn. Maybe open a thread on the topic.  Ask JT for advice, and create a poll.  I feel sure that setting out to learn something, and doing the research required, will be fulfilling, even if at the end of it all you learn is “it’s complicated”.

37 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

You could ask the question, and then you might learn. Maybe open a thread on the topic.  Ask JT for advice, and create a poll.  I feel sure that setting out to learn something, and doing the research required, will be fulfilling, even if at the end of it all you learn is “it’s complicated”.

Yes.

Maybe another JT poll would be useful. 

Also, where would we be without forgings of steel parts for first-class bicycles made in Taiwan, anyway?  Maybe JT could do a poll on this, as well.....

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

Maybe another JT poll would be useful. 

Also, where would we be without forgings of steel parts for first-class bicycles made in Taiwan, anyway?  Maybe JT could do a poll on this, as well.....

People say forging is ok, but the best videos I’ve seen are of castings

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

People say forging is ok, but the best videos I’ve seen are of castings

What about worm castings?

Have you seen any videos of how worms form castings?

There is still so much to learn about in this world, if one has a decent drive of curiosity.

In the end, we all must simply forge ahead, and do or die. We must persist, even if death is the result of the right things we choose to do, just because, for example, we are willing to die for democracy and free speech.

By the way, free speech is the foundation upon which all other good things flow.

Without free speech, men become nothing more than worms.

Take care, my friend,

And, keep on cycling.

(Alas, judging from what I read in the Guardian, the NYT, and other rags, free speech is becoming threatened, seemingly.  May it not be so.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Loved Argent back in the day. Too pop for Prog, too arty for pop. I put Pentangle in the same category of commercially unsuccessful genre straddlers.

Saw them open (on their way down) for Aerosmith. "God Gave You Rock And Roll" lives on a KISS live barn burner, and honestly, is the better version.