Falling asleep at the wheel: Far more cases than reported, says accident prevention doc

webfact

And how did the good doctor came to this conclusion? did he had a study or experiments done to determent that this is the cause of most road accidents? did he differentiate between ordinary drivers or those on long hauls?...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting that, according to him, this phenomenon should be responsible for approx only one third of the accidents for which it is considered responsible in US & Europe. Maybe Thais are better at it, or their microsleep is more micro than elsewhere....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

This should be roughly the sound level of Saigon. ????

New York City, Shanghai, Mexico City, Cairo, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, etc...

Appears to be universal withholding the comparative forms. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

The micro-sleep issue is real. So are the accidents, injuries, property damage, and deaths they cause. 

20 years ago, I was fairly well known in Washington State as a sleep awareness activist. I was invited to many High Schools around the state to give one hour presentations on sleep and its importance to safe driving. The audience was kids who were just beginning their adventures in driving: Drivers' Education Classes. 

Micro-sleeps---awareness of them, how to avoid them, what to do about them--were perhaps the single most important part of those classes. 

"60 miles per hour. You nod off for just one second. ONE SECOND! That means your car will travel 88 feet with no one driving the car! 

"88 feet is enough to drive across 4 lanes of traffic, or smack head-on---at full speed---into someone going the opposite way!" 

If I remember correctly, something like 90% of long-haul truck drivers admitted to having at least one "head drop" while they were driving, in the preceding year. 

The thing about a "head drop" is........... 

It doesn't mean you are falling asleep. It means you ARE asleep! 

A 40-50,000 pound truck barreling down the highway............ with no one driving! 

Micro-sleeps are a big deal. 

Personally, I am incredibly grateful that someone at the government level in Thailand is taking it seriously.

In my case, in Washington, I had a helluva time getting instructors and administrators to give me the time of day. Fortunately, though, word spread and I eventually became in demand.

It's tough, though, getting people to believe that something we normally take for granted......... can kill you.......... if it happens at the wrong time, and in the wrong way. Kill you, and others! 

One last little tidbit.......... 

Research shows........ (from Australia, if I recall correctly)......... that being awake for 20 hours straight......... (only 4 more than our "normal" waking hours)......... your reactions, reflexes, and decision-making ability will be virtually the same as a person who is legally drunk. (U.S. = .08 alcohol) 

Sleep matters! Avoiding micro-sleeps matters particularly! 

Cheers! 

(Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!) 

Well thanks for that but reading thro' it all just made me yaaaaaaaaaawn

• Sad 1

So easily done... 

Everyone thinks they can ‘handle it’...   they are a better driver, can maintain concentration etc...

I remember it happening to me about 10 years ago.

....   3 hours into a drive.... BAM... !!... Did just fall asleep ????.... Holy SHHHH....  scared the cr@p out of myself...    (nothing happened, very lucky, I didn’t even drift off the driving line... but I know I’d dropped off, for a split second, for 1 second, for 4 seconds, I don’t know). 

It's never happened again - If I think I’m tried, I’ll switch driving with my Wife... (usually if we are going away somewhere and I’ve had a late night with the boys the night before). 

there is facebook page (bad driving Thailand - I think its called) there are a load of videos of lorry drivers who just drift off and crash. 

One of things I like about Thailand...  ‘most’ of the interprovincial highways are separate lanes in each direction. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

What data does he have to suggest that the 'true' incidence is higher than the reported incidence?????

"Reported" incidents usually mean the driver survived. When the driver gets killed, there's often no one to tell them what happened. So, OF COURSE, "true" incident totals will wind up being higher than "reported" incidents. 

(With fatal accidents, the determination must often be made from the details of the accident: No braking, for example, or no course correction. And they  frequently are single-vehicle accidents, with no obvious outside factors. [Later, autopsies may also reveal no underlying health cause, like a sudden heart attack or stroke.]) 

Sure, there's some estimating going on. But they are not uneducated estimates. There are some pretty solid clues from which conclusions can be drawn. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KanchanaburiGuy said:

Well, actually, no! 

Boring reading can't make you sleepy. It can only reveal  the sleepiness your body is carrying already! 

So, while you might have found my post boring............ that's NOT why you yawned! 

????????????

Cheers! 

Bet your a bundle of laughs in the pub ????

• Like 1

I still say the "micro-sleep" is their excuse most of the time as it saves a "bit" of face, other than saying they were "paying more attention to their phone instead of the traffic / their surroundings when it all went down!!"...idiots!!

4 hours ago, law ling said:

1. Falling asleep is also, seemingly, an accepted excuse to explain an accident - whatever may have been the cause.

2. For night-driving, I find many roads here have neither street lights nor reflectors (marking the lanes and shoulders) - leaving you to drive often in a near-black-void (other than what your headlights, or other traffic, may show up) ... giving your mind too little to concentrate and focus on.

Reflective road markings would be a good start