Kids v no kids

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given I wouldn't allow a child of mine to have a phone that does anything but make calls, that would be a problem for me as I wouldn't let them talk on a phone while eating.

I take it you don't have kids!  I was full of good intentions before I became a dad, but then the I entered the real world!

On 4/27/2022 at 5:19 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although many people do not shout at or hit their kids and they grow up to be decent people 

Those "decent" people are in short supply where I live, though I suspect the bad ones are more visible as the "decent" ones are not causing problems around town, and are safely tucked up in bed by 10 pm after watching the propaganda news and other such like timewasters on local tv.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I take it you don't have kids!  I was full of good intentions before I became a dad, but then the I entered the real world!

I have none of my own, but I lived a few years with a woman that did. I restricted the amount of tv they watched to 2 hours max per day ( one of them would have done nothing but watch tv had I let him- IMO children should not be allowed more than a minimum of time on any form of electronic medium. I'm convinced that schools are failing to educate now, when many kids can barely read, because they use calculators and computers instead of using their brains ) , and had mobile phones existed back then would not have had one that was internet capable.

The woman left the kids for me to look after as she was more interested in her career than them, and one of the reasons I left her was because she was using me as a child minding service.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I understand what you are saying, but IMO too many parents allow their kids to rule the household. Kids know nothing and need discipline.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, Kwasaki said:

If you have to hit children you have fail as a good parent.

I'm not advocated "beating" children, but a smack on the back side is better than shouting at the kids, IMO. Kids know that if all that happens if they do wrong is getting shouted at they can get away with anything.

In the boarding school I went to pupils got beaten with a sand shoe by prefects for talking after lights out, but while I disagree that pupils should be allowed to beat other pupils, I doubt the experience made us into criminals.

While the debate about disciplining children is worthwhile, it's obvious to anyone with a brain cell that there is a problem with unruly children that are out of control, and it's not uncommon to see them about.

On talkback a while ago there was even a discussion as to whether children on airplanes should be only allowed on certain flights, or restricted to certain parts of the aircraft. A brat on a long flight is indeed a horror.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not advocated "beating" children, but a smack on the back side is better than shouting at the kids, IMO. Kids know that if all that happens if they do wrong is getting shouted at they can get away with anything.

In the boarding school I went to pupils got beaten with a sand shoe by prefects for talking after lights out, but while I disagree that pupils should be allowed to beat other pupils, I doubt the experience made us into criminals.

While the debate about disciplining children is worthwhile, it's obvious to anyone with a brain cell that there is a problem with unruly children that are out of control, and it's not uncommon to see them about.

On talkback a while ago there was even a discussion as to whether children on airplanes should be only allowed on certain flights, or restricted to certain parts of the aircraft. A brat on a long flight is indeed a horror.

In ans a slap on a small child will in some cases create fear or rebellion. Talking to them is the best way IMHO. 

I was expelled from secondary school because a teacher hit me. 

Prefects in our school were not allowed to hit anyone. 

There's no unruly children in my book if there is there's something wrong. 

A brat you refer to has a incapable parent.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

In ans a slap on a small child will in some cases create fear or rebellion. Talking to them is the best way IMHO. 

I was expelled from secondary school because a teacher hit me. 

Prefects in our school were not allowed to hit anyone. 

There's no unruly children in my book if there is there's something wrong. 

A brat you refer to has a incapable parent.

There are many incapable parents in the real world. Only in Utopia are parents all good and children perfect. Do you live in Utopia?

Talking to me as a child never meant a thing unless it had some real consequences to back it up.

I remember my childhood. Many kids were rotters and bullies and just plain nasty.

Some kids even kill themselves because of other kids.

I have known some good kids, but not many.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are many incapable parents in the real world. Only in Utopia are parents all good and children perfect. Do you live in Utopia?

Talking to me as a child never meant a thing unless it had some real consequences to back it up.

I remember my childhood. Many kids were rotters and bullies and just plain nasty.

Some kids even kill themselves because of other kids.

I have known some good kids, but not many.

Bogan parents

On 4/21/2022 at 1:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure if I would have a pretty girl as my child I would worry a lot. I know some fathers who bring their girls everywhere with a car because they don't want that the girls are alone on the streets.

My partner had an attractive daughter that had a string of "boyfriends". I had a code of number of rings to answer the phone if my partner, as it was always some boy lusting after her, so stopped answering the phone.

My partner had her on contraceptives at 14, and she managed to avoid getting pregnant till she was 18. Married the father of the child who was a right nasty piece of work. Lost track of her then, so don't know how it worked out for her.

• Sad 1