Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

Many times we get called "stupid farang" but I have learned to live with this.

In the village it happens & projects that I undertake when they used to say this because took longer & made it properly without using baling wire to hold it together but good materials.

Now they see the result still in use 2 years later & in good working condition they actually 

look how I did it.

There is no doubt a frailty in many Thai males but in some ways cannot blame them.

A great example is when a farmer mate of mine took his bride to be from Buri Ram back to the farm. Her family not happy because he was a farmer.

She arrived to find a beautiful home, every mod con including a 4 wheel vehicle for her to use around the farm.

The brothers back home just did not believe that a simple farmer could have such wealth.

Unless Thais ( in particular from the village) have travelled they simply have "no idea" how the other half live

I'm not offended but it shows their racist mentality!

Let's face it, I don't call them slopeheads or Chinks or Gooks or Banana's or Buddhaheads or Chonky's or Coconuts or Pancake face or Zipperheads!

Maybe we should!

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1

Just now, Chris HIckson said:

Not offended at all. Being in a relatively remote region it's amusing seeing the response of mostly young children and mostly 4 to a motorbike when one or more shout out  "Farang.

This is why the word ‘farang’ itself is not always offensive... its contextual. 

I recall being in a Tesco’s in Chumpae (which is between Khon Kaen and Petchabun)...  a group of little kids followed me around giggling... then one of them had the courage to shout out “Hello Falang”...  they all giggled and ran off...  It was cute and most certainly not offensive.

Had they shouted...  "Hello Whiteman”  or "Hello whitey”... "Hello Khon Angrit” (which they wouldn’t) - then equally there was no offence.... 

If they shouted “kee-nok Falang”....  then they have heard that somewhere and it is derogatory. 

Its all about context and intent companied with the level of education and level of education, civilisation and refinement of the person delivering the address. 

I would never expect a Thai business colleague to refer to me as ‘farang’...  that is both impolite, socially clumsy and disrespectful - I expect better. 

I don't mind the poor shop-keeper in the threadbare scruffy mom&pop shop telling her assistant to "going and serve that farang over there”...  its not impolite or rude, there is no derogatory intent, at worst its clumsy. 

• Like 1

Who are you to tell me how I should feel - or not?

Who are you to tell me if I can complain or not?

And if I am happy to be known as an 'Imperialist', then so be it. What has it got to do with you?

If the Thai Embassys charge huge fees for visas for farang, and not for Thais, then I'll complain if I want to.

What's it got to do with you?

If the RTP want to relieve me of baht during a traffic stop while Thais drive past, never breaking the law of course, and I do not wish to complain about whatคุณกินให้อร่อย is obviously a misunderstanding, then that is up to me.

I just come here to read the news - not to to be told by someone, who's credentials about I have no idea, not to complain - or not complain - when I want to.

What's it got to do with you. Who ever you are.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Farang. Generally used by uneducated, low class Thais when talking to or referring to people who are not Thai

I agree with this...    when used in ear-shot it is generally used by those who lack the social airs and graces to know that the use of the word ‘farang’ has the potential to be interpreted as insulting. 

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

and are considered to be of lower social standing then themselves.

Not so - Thai’s really struggle with identifying the socio-economic status of Westerners in Thailand. 

That is a Westerner could be having dinner with a Thai CEO in an equal setting, yet the following deep in conversation with Ying from flash-fanny’s bar....   

In both situations he’ll walk past a group of motorcycle taxi’s and they’ll shout out.... ‘You, farang, where you go?” !!!! 

-------------

I know this is going to get ridiculed by some, but I’ll put it out there. 

Some westerners are married to ladies considered hi-so... not by other westerners, but by other Thai’s. Thai’s can tell....   

When out as a couple, those westerners get treated very favourably by other Thai’s compared to when they are alone and get treated with polite indifference.  

This is because their social status has been determined by association. 

The same can be said when westerners are with Thai’s partners of a lower socio-economic standing, they are not treated the same, their social status has been determined by association. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with this...    when used in ear-shot it is generally used by those who lack the social airs and graces to know that the use of the word ‘farang’ has the potential to be interpreted as insulting. 

Not so - Thai’s really struggle with identifying the socio-economic status of Westerners in Thailand. 

That is a Westerner could be having dinner with a Thai CEO in an equal setting, yet the following deep in conversation with Ying from flash-fanny’s bar....   

In both situations he’ll walk past a group of motorcycle taxi’s and they’ll shout out.... ‘You, farang, where you go?” !!!! 

-------------

I know this is going to get ridiculed by some, but I’ll put it out there. 

Some westerners are married to ladies considered hi-so... not by other westerners, but by other Thai’s. Thai’s can tell....   

When out as a couple, those westerners get treated very favourably by other Thai’s compared to when they are alone and get treated with polite indifference.  

This is because their social status has been determined by association. 

The same can be said when westerners are with Thai’s partners of a lower socio-economic standing, they are not treated the same, their social status has been determined by association. 

Interesting and I agree..

9 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I'm a man.

When you speak to me you speak to me as a man using my name. If you don't know my name you ask. If you don't want to ask my name then you address me as Mr. or Sir.

Wow, you're a living, flesh and blood version of the Marlborough Man.

Or someone like that. 

• Haha 1

Because the word farang refers to all white people

Farang (Persian: فرنگ) is a Persian (and Southeast Asian) word that originally referred to the Franks (the major Germanic tribe) and later came to refer to White Europeans in general. The word "Farang" is a cognate and originates from Old French: "franc". )

Why do pakistanians get so offended when called <deleted>?? Why does sout European get so offended when called Dego? And when do black get so offended when Negro?

3 hours ago, renaissanc said:

To the writer: "(Raised tone of voice) Hey you! You! Falang! You! Go home! I no like you." Now, how would you feel if someone said that to you? You'd feel insulted, I'm sure. Now do you understand? 

Read the article. He understands perfectly, and likes it.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Now that's offensive. 

????. The whole concept is strange. 

I was very surprised when I went to visit a friend who stayed on in the army after I left (the army ). He stayed on as a drill-pig, ie one of the nco's  in basic training. He was telling me that it's no longer permitted to even swear at new recruits. It seems they can complain if they're sworn at. 

The mind boggles.