Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Which Thai word would foreigners here prefer to be referred by as opposed to the one in general usage ever since farangs set foot on Thai soil?

From reading some posts above, I think it would be...."Sir"...????

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the OP is offended by the fact that he thinks foreigners should be offended, but aren't. I'd also like to know what offensive name Thais are known by in the US other than Thais or Asian. Just another non-farang trying to cause racial strife. 

• Like 2

Just now, BangkokReady said:

Did you seriously read all the comments here and still think that it's the word and not the way it is used that is the problem?

Comment after comment says that it isn't the word that is the problem but the way it is used, the context, then other users come along and say "Oh my God!  How can you be offended by a word?!!!  It's the word that means foreigner!!!  What's wrong with that?!!!".

Your comment is meaningless, same as @transam's.  ????‍♂️

lol. Every nation has people inclined to refer to foreigners in non complimentary ways. Racial prejudice is rife in every country. Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Did you seriously read all the comments here and still think that it's the word and not the way it is used that is the problem?

Comment after comment says that it isn't the word that is the problem but the way it is used, the context, then other users come along and say "Oh my God!  How can you be offended by a word?!!!  It's the word that means foreigner!!!  What's wrong with that?!!!".

!00% agree and glad you mentioned the "context" as some others on here, by their responses, clearly indicate they have little understanding of it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, candide said:

France's name came from the Franks, as farang did. 

Anyway the Portuguese were here first, so why are we not called Portugue? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, it would be for foot stampers who probably get their knickers in a twist over anything.......????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

lol. Every nation has people inclined to refer to foreigners in non complimentary ways. Racial prejudice is rife in every country. Get over it.

I don't see how that relates to what I wrote.  I pointed out your mistake so you wanted to deflect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, seajae said:

being called a farang doesnt bother me at all but the way it is said by some can be very agressive and demeaning, its all in the way it is used, not the word itself

every body got name for everybody.  ,Germans used to call Brits Tomes. ,Brit used used call the germans Fritz.  ,  used to be lot worst in the past. ,i can go on and on 

9 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I'd rather know what pejoratives means. 

What are you doing, posting online ?  Posting online?  Omg, posting online…..soo 2015

posting online is pejorative .   Not positive.  Lol.  Oh, it’s negative.    Low opinion.  Lack of respect.   I’d never post online!

38 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Lame and completely inaccurate argument.  And you know it.  The terms spick and chink are derogatory terms in the English language.  Farang is not in the Thai language.  Do you have to have everything explained to you?

Chink? 

Slope?

No they are English words that foreigners have no right complaining about. I need nothing explained to me. You said that foreigners have no right complaining about words not of their native tongue. See the point  you don't understand is you don't get to tell people what they find offensive.

Im saying context, speech and inflection matter and sometimes the word falang is used pejoratively. Not hard to understand. I dont find it offensive in a general sense but others do. 

But as you seem to be one of those frustrated warriors who is never wrong and your interpretation of the world is the only one i will let you have the last word as you wont be able to help yourself. Cheers.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

Just now, transam said:

Not with my accent......????

Yeh byt perhaps wearing a skirt and having a pet sheep could be a give-away perhaps ????  Not that were you come from would entertain such weird behaviour, just saying ????

• Haha 1