Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

I don’t find the word offensive... but there are times the use of the word farang highlights the class of the others using the word, sometimes its harmless, sometimes its socially clumsy, sometimes its outright offensive. 

IF discussing westerners in Thailand in general - the term is common place. However, I simply use ‘Westerners’ (which at some point in the future is bound to become offensive to someone!).

IF in a family or friends setting I never expect to hear the term ‘farang’ in reference to me when everyone knows my name. (i.e. does the farang want rice?’) equally offensive would be my family referring to my wife as ’The Asian’ - that just doesn’t happen. I am never referred to as ‘farang’ in with friends and family. 

When in a larger group many of whom I may not be on personal terms they I may hear the term, but it's as a descriptor rather than a slur. 

In my younger years I was at a friends house and his mum asked.. “Does Rick eat Thai food or does he want farang food”.....  more than the question I was more intregued as to what ‘farang’ food was going to be !!...  I guess its the same as my folks thinking all asian food is the same.. rice and anything else !!!

What I don’t like is when I hear it in certain contexts which are highlight a particular lack of respect... i.e. motorcycle taxis... “Hey you, farang, where you go” (I just completely ignore their existence in such cases).

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When in a larger group many of whom I may not be on personal terms they I may hear the term, but it's as a descriptor rather than a slur. 

Why do you think they need to refer to you by your skin colour?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Ferlung"?

What I can't understand is why some foreigners insist on using gratuitously strange spellings for the word "farang".  Who on earth ever pronounces the word as "fer-lung".

His friend probably speaks very poor Thai and has problems with even the most simple words.

Irony alert… 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Ferlung"?

What I can't understand is why some foreigners insist on using gratuitously strange spellings for the word "farang".  Who on earth ever pronounces the word as "fer-lung".

It's part of showing they're more Thai than you ........ even though it's the only Thai word they know.

It's part of showing [they think that] they're more Thai than you ........ even though it's the only Thai word [they think] that they know!

Like can't its a word that depends more on how said, by whom and the situation.  There are good cant's, bad cant's and shizz cant's.

Sometimes being called a can't is a good thing and sometimes it is so obviously not. Much like falang.

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why do you think they need to refer to you by your skin colour?

Exactly. I know Thailand is a bit backward, but falang i would put in the same box as chocalate man. Probably innocuous but run round calling every fellow you see with darker skin chocalate man im guessing ya gonna <deleted> at least a few off. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t find the word offensive... but there are times the use of the word farang highlights the class of the others using the word, sometimes its harmless, sometimes its socially clumsy, sometimes its outright offensive. 

IF discussing westerners in Thailand in general - the term is common place. However, I simply use ‘Westerners’ (which at some point in the future is bound to become offensive to someone!).

IF in a family or friends setting I never expect to hear the term ‘farang’ in reference to me when everyone knows my name. (i.e. does the farang want rice?’) equally offensive would be my family referring to my wife as ’The Asian’ - that just doesn’t happen. I am never referred to as ‘farang’ in with friends and family. 

In my younger years I was at a friends house and his mum asked.. “Does Rick eat Thai food or does he want farang food”.....  more than the question I was more intregued as to what ‘farang’ food was going to be !!...  I guess its the same as my folks thinking all asian food is the same.. rice and anything else !!!

What I don’t like is when I hear it in certain contexts which are highlight a particular lack of respect... i.e. motorcycle taxis... “Hey you, farang, where you go” (I just completely ignore their existence in such cases).

What I often hear is passaa(language) farang. 

Farang can mean foreign when used as an adjective. 

Mun farang

Mak farang

Etc. 

Perhaps the generalized benign terminology of Farang requires some tweaking and modifying to fit the truer character of these foreigner types.

ปีศาจยุโรป or คนโง่ที่ยังไม่พัฒนา or ขยะไร้ค่า might suffice as appropriate substitutes. 

????????

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I'm a man.

When you speak to me you speak to me as a man using my name. If you don't know my name you ask. If you don't want to ask my name then you address me as Mr. or Sir.

Many Thai has problems to pronounce western names, so you want all call you bye name what sound really stupid or funny?And how thai who dont speak english at all going to ask your name?!  I recommend you should move to Phil if you want all call you Sir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Actually you are wrong. Farang means Caucasian but it's more of an informal word - it is inoffensive slang/a nickname like Whitey/Whiteboy/Honky or whatever.

Interesting.  I googled it.  Learn something new every day!

Farang (Persian: فرنگ) is a Persian (and Southeast Asian) word that originally referred to the Franks (the major Germanic tribe) and later came to refer to White Europeans in general. The word "Farang" is a cognate and originates from Old French: "franc".

My Thai friends told me that it meant foreigner.  Where I come from a white person is called a Haole.  And the other races have different names.  It's not offensive at all.  It is used as a description word, like "That Haole guy that runs the gas station"  It's only offensive when it's used as "you F----g Haole"   ????  So I don't mind being called a Farang, it's just a description word.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It doesn't actually, it means 'whitey'. 

I can't believe you of all people (whoo-hoo I have Thai citizenship) are helping to perpetuate a myth which has probably done more to unfairly foment resentment and damage inter-cultural harmony between Thais and foreigners than any other.

Irrespective of the etymological origin of the word, the word 'farang' is commonly used colloquially for 'foreigner' in general, regardless of skin color.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1