Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

8 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Irrespective of the etymological origin of the word, the word 'farang' is commonly used colloquially for 'foreigners' in general, regardless of skin color.

That's what my Thai friends told me.  Anyway, who cares.  If you live in Thailand and are a foreigner people will call you a Farang.  if you don't like it then you have other options.   Like going back to Foreignerville.

Edited by LivingNThailand
grammer
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Farang = Caucasian

That's it and that's all.  It's a Thai word.  The Thais don't consider it offensive.  Foreigners don't get to decide which Thai word is offensive.  It would be like a Chinese guy going to the USA and saying "I don't like the word Asian.  It's offensive.  Stop using it!"

So to the farang snowflakes out there who are desperately looking for trivial things to get upset about, get over it!

So being English I can use any word in the English language in regards to a person from another country a "foreigner" if you will and they can't say it's offensive? Do you know how stupid you sound?

Spick

Chink

<deleted>

Slope... all totally non offensive English words right? Zero other connotation and no reason why any "foreigner" could tell me they were offensive?

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Many Thai has problems to pronounce western names, so you want all call you bye name what sound really stupid or funny?And how thai who dont speak english at all going to ask your name?!  I recommend you should move to Phil if you want all call you Sir.

If you can't talk to me as a man, keep your mouth shut.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Excel said:

Are that same old come back, ignorance of the real issues is what keep some of these people alive I think, clearly rational argument is way above many peoples heads

And yours is....?   ????

If anyone used that word in referring to me, I would be very upset.

On another note, when my wife first came to live in Ireland and referred to me as Farang one day, I advised her that she was now "The Farang"

She refused to accept this saying Farang were white with a high nose.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

And you cannot grasp how even the word "foreigner" could have negative connotations or be used in an offensive way?

How is foreigner a negative word.   It's an accurate description of someone from another country. Cambridge Dictionary:

foreigner
noun [ C ]

US 

/ˈfɔr·ə·nər, ˈfɑr-/

a person who comes from another country

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I might be wrong but I believe it is historically based when the French were in Lao and Cambodia. Farangses. French.

You are right. Probably dating from the Narai reign in the 17th century.

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=HzTHaIEduwYC&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=origin+of+name+farang+farangse&source=bl&ots=pvKnqxAt48&sig=ACfU3U378TF2OwGWpZoaJu4bWi_OIwQH5g&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtmLewvqT3AhUnzDgGHZkLDjAQ6AF6BAhBEAI#v=onepage&q=origin of name farang farangse&f=false

So no reason to feel offended to be called farang! ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

How is foreigner a negative word.   It's an accurate description of someone from another country.

How can you not understand this sentence:

"And you cannot grasp how even the word "foreigner" could have negative connotations or be used in an offensive way?"

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

"If you don't like racism, leave the country!" - bravo... ????

Such a boring cliche isnt it. Forget rational discussion or your opinion just throw the toys out the pram pout and say "well if you dont like it leave".

Edited by starky
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, starky said:

So being English I can use any word in the English language in regards to a person from another country a "foreigner" if you will and they can't say it's offensive? Do you know how stupid you sound?

Spick

Chink

<deleted>

Slope... all totally non offensive English words right? Zero other connotation and no reason why any "foreigner" could tell me they were offensive?

Lame and completely inaccurate argument.  And you know it.  The terms spick and chink are derogatory terms in the English language.  Farang is not in the Thai language.  Do you have to have everything explained to you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well you have been a member on here long enough to understand there are so many on here who adopt the attitude you are suggesting. At least with Thai's educational and social ignorance can be considered as an excuse for their address to foreigners, but as for foreigners on here attempting to justify it, well one has to ask whom are the most ignorant.

Perhaps better than an adult stamping his feet like a spoiled kid over a Thai word on here... eh....????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

It’s specific to White People. Different words for Blacks, Japs, Chinese…..

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Too much hostility.

If you don't like it stop using this forum! ????

(In case it is unclear, I am saying this ironically to point out the ridiculousness (and hostility?) of this way of thinking.  I have no problem with people sharing different viewpoints in a polite and mature way.)

Edited by BangkokReady