Why are westerners so offended over the word farang? Get over it.

webfact

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

I am Thai but everyone calls me a farang, even when they know my nationality. Happened in the bank the other day.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I'm a man.

When you speak to me you speak to me as a man using my name. If you don't know my name you ask. If you don't want to ask my name then you address me as Mr. or Sir.

So you don't believe in the idiom, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans's do'?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, Farang means all Foreigners regardless of race, creed, color, religion, etc.   So why be offended?  It's a word for everyone.  I'd rather be called a Farang than a Foreigner or Alien.  But, as others have  mentioned above, it's the way it is said, the tone.  

That is correct.  Some people want to see racism where none exists. My Thai family call me Farang Uncle, to differentiate me from the Thai Uncles. They would think it impolite to use my first name.  

• Like 1

I simply don't worry about it, the terms gaijin ( Japanese ) or gweiloh ( Chinese ) are far less complimentary.

I'm usually addressed as Khun by the Thais that know me, if someone I don't know uses it I don't care.

• Like 1

I am not personally offended by the term, although tone and context does seem to make a difference in how I assess its use. However, I am rarely (I can't recall the last time) referred directly as a "farang", and never called that by name one on one. I have heard "many farang like this style" in a store when discussing home designs, which indirectly is calling me a farang. I'm Khun (name) to most people that know me and called no name by people that don't know me (eye contact and speak) or a polite "sir" by some. I see the term used most often when Thais are generically speaking of white foreigners and have heard myself referenced as such between two Thais (that don't know my name) talking between themselves, which does not offend me. To my face, hardly ever. Whether they call me "it" behind my back, I could care less. I can think of a lot of terms I would use, behind their back, of people I have met here, Thai and farang. 

• Like 2