Electric Vehicles in Thailand

On 7/17/2023 at 10:44 PM, Melpomene said:

We've had quotes between 30 & 35k for 1st class insurance on the XC40, so it's certainly worth shopping around

Those do not cover the battery pack. You may want to read the fine print again.

If you damage the battery in an unfortunate accident or it catches fire etc, the cheaper insurance does NOT cover it.

New battery pack costs approx 1.33 Mill THB, which will have to be paid in cash.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

25% is not a huge difference? 

Not really look at MG EP vs MG ES  is 24.5% more expensive than the MG EP

yes there are some improvements in the MG ES but not sure its worth the extra 24.5% 

And comparing MG ZS EV with Leaf the leaf is loaded with import taxes take the taxes off and the Leaf would be a similar price or lower to the MG ES

Likewise Korean built EV's are going to struggle to compete on price with Thai/Chinese  built EV

Edited by vinny41
add

2 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Those do not cover the battery pack. You may want to read the fine print again.

If you damage the battery in an unfortunate accident or it catches fire etc, the cheaper insurance does NOT cover it.

New battery pack costs approx 1.33 Mill THB, which will have to be paid in cash.

So I did review the small print, and to be fair it neither explicitly mentioned covering or excluding damage to the battery, so you could well be right.  However, wouldn't this be an issue with all electric cars rather than just Volvo specifically ?  Anyone else with experience of insuring an electric car care to comment on this ?

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

On 27/7/2022 I saw this advert from Nissan on FB 

leaf_final_call_banner_price.jpeg.afd09320dae5b3dce7e159a4b5e30249.jpeg

On Nissan site TH, back up to 1.490M

Or, you can buy his & her MG EPs for less, which are better spec'd.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Nissan Leaf price March 2020 was 1,490,000 baht

https://www.headlightmag.com/special-price-nissan-leaf-ev-100/

MG ZS EV price June 2019 was  1,190,000 baht

https://www.headlightmag.com/offcial-photo-mg-zs-ev-thailand/

Not a huge difference in price 

Our MG ZS EV 2022 (Oct & now)... ฿949K, 50.3kWh battery (46.3kWh usable)

MG EP ฿771k ... 50.3kWh battery

Nissan Leaf ... 40kWh, usable 39kWh ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Our MG ZS EV 2022 (Oct & now)... ฿949K, 50.3kWh battery (46.3kWh usable)

MG EP ฿771k ... 50.3kWh battery

Nissan Leaf ... 40kWh, usable 39kWh ????

Its strange that your comparing MG ZS EV 2022 model instead of the  MG ZS EV 2019 44.5 kWh. battery or the new version of the Nissan Leaf 62 kWh. battery

32 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Its strange that your comparing MG ZS EV 2022 model instead of the  MG ZS EV 2019 44.5 kWh. battery or the new version of the Nissan Leaf 62 kWh. battery

Because that's the one I have, and the 40kWh Leaf is the standard version priced starting at ฿1.99M in TH ????

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf/specifications.html#grade-B12P-0|specs

LEAF.png

Edited by KhunLA

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Because that's the one I have, and the 40kWh Leaf is the standard version priced starting at ฿1.99M in TH ????

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf/specifications.html#grade-B12P-0|specs

LEAF.png

Nissan is well known for not updating their English web pages you can't order new Nissan leaf on their Thai web page

According to this article there was a total of 40 Nissan leaf cars available for sale  last July 2022

Final Call ! Nissan LEAF 100% electric car: 959,000 baht (imported CBU) | 311 km. distance (NEDC)

https://autolifethailand.tv/final-call-nissan-leaf-ev-bev-959000/

7 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Nissan is well known for not updating their English web pages you can't order new Nissan leaf on their Thai web page

According to this article there was a total of 40 Nissan leaf cars available for sale  last July 2022

Final Call ! Nissan LEAF 100% electric car: 959,000 baht (imported CBU) | 311 km. distance (NEDC)

https://autolifethailand.tv/final-call-nissan-leaf-ev-bev-959000/

Your link is 1 yr old.  If I want info about a product in TH, I use the manufacturers site in TH.

Exact same info on the Thai version of TH Nissan site.  Maybe you should take a peek at that for current info.

image.png.4f9e61a97d91177015fae14d6b3c8a81.png

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your link is 1 yr old.  If I want info about a product in TH, I use the manufacturers site in TH.

Exact same info on the Thai version of TH Nissan site.  Maybe you should take a peek at that for current info.

image.png.4f9e61a97d91177015fae14d6b3c8a81.png

And when you click on the link it list all the cars available for sale and the Nissan Leaf is not listed

and the link I posted yes its 1 year old but the clue was in the title Final Call

20 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Not really look at MG EP vs MG ES  is 24.5% more expensive than the MG EP

yes there are some improvements in the MG ES but not sure its worth the extra 24.5% 

And comparing MG ZS EV with Leaf the leaf is loaded with import taxes take the taxes off and the Leaf would be a similar price or lower to the MG ES

Likewise Korean built EV's are going to struggle to compete on price with Thai/Chinese  built EV

The MG4 has the same alloy wheels as the MG ES, they are really ugly.  At least the MG4 comes with tacky wheel covers which look a little better than the alloys underneath (I never thought I would ever think that).

I'm not in favour of after market alloy wheels, but I'd make an exception with the MG ES.

I prefer the front grille on the EP over the ES, probably because I am old.  Likewise I prefer a polished walnut dashboard and door cappings, all gone the way of progress.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How much are the MGs in the US?

Didn't realize they were even available in the USA.

Photo below is screenshot from Gsearch, site needs to register, I didn't.

image.png.cce335144efda13242f96ecc4a5373d3.png

This site gives some prices of, accurate (?):

https://www.ccarprice.com/us/mg-car-prices-in-USA-141

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How much are the MGs in the US?

Found this online:

"MG, in just two years, has passed Ford Motor Co. and Hyundai in Mexico and now is the eighth-best selling brand there, so it is already in North America.

Vehicles sold in that market are not built to meet U.S. federal safety and emissions regulations, so for SAIC, it is not a simple matter of just appointing dealers in the US and shipping cars."

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't realize they were even available in the USA.

Photo below is screenshot from Gsearch, site needs to register, I didn't.

image.png.cce335144efda13242f96ecc4a5373d3.png

This site gives some prices of, accurate (?):

https://www.ccarprice.com/us/mg-car-prices-in-USA-141

MG or SAIC cars not sold in USA as to pricing website it lists cars for sale in Thailand that will never be imported and ignores any chinese brands that are currently on sale in Thailand 

not everything posted on the internet is correct and 

MG Cars USA not found SAIC Cars USA not found

reviews of MG cars tested in the USA not found

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYD Seal looks fantastic in pearlescent white much nicer than the Tesla Pearl White. I didn’t like the blue interior on the blue car when I sat in it at the BKK motor show, the darker interior looks much better. Nice to see the sun shield fitted, why doesn’t Tesla include one?

4.8m long (slightly longer than the Tesla model 3)

1.875m wide (slightly wider than the Tesla model 3)

1.46m tall (slightly taller than the Tesla model 3)

2.92m WB (slightly longer than the Tesla model 3)

Coming to Europe in October 

RWD called “Design” 230kW motor, 5.9 secs, 520km range

AWD called “Excellence” 390kW across 2 motors, 3.8 secs, 570km range

LFP Blade Battery 82.5kWh for both models

charging 150kW DC, 11kw AC

Heat Pump, V2L

You beat me too it !

I like Derek’s videos, he crams in as much info as poss in a short space of time, sometimes has a little oops ! , hatchback ?? , although he did correct it in text on the video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have some concerns over the marketing of the Atto 3.

I think there are differences not indicated in their spec sheet.  Unusually, there were 3 EV's following each other in central Chiang Rai last week.  first 2 cars were Standard & Extended range Atto 3's, and lastly me.

The horizontal lightbar on the standard range didn't appear to be lit, it could be because he didn't have his headlights on, I couldn't see the front.  The other day I saw a standard range and the horizontal lightbar on the front didn't appear to be illuminated.

I am also concerned that the performance figures for both cars are identical and yet according to the spec sheet they have the same power motor but different weights, this doesn't add up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i took a closer look at the BYD Seal at the motor show (march 2023).

i really like its exterior, but i find the interior design to be overloaded ...

it's a pity that the Seal is still not available in thailand and we do not have

any information about the pricing yet ...

image.jpeg

Edited by motdaeng
text was missing !
  • Haha 1