Electric Vehicles in Thailand

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

I have a BYD Atto Extended Range (60KW battery).  It has a 480 NEDC or 420WLTP range rating.  Realworld I get around 440Km in combined city and highway driving.   A 78Km daily round trip would allow me to make such a trip at least 5 times with some battery left over....or said another way 5 days worth of 78Km trips.   If you get stuck in traffic and just inch along for a few hours you will not burn much battery juice....since the electric motor is not needing to power the EV too far since you are stuck in traffic.    

And why worry about a low battery charge assuming you top-up the charge every few days just to play it safe.  Or you can live dangerously and just let the charge get really low....then you'll will want to drink the whole six pack as you will be piss444ed at yourself.

Lot of EV fanboi waffle.

Reply in point form to my question please

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

My EV has 580km of range from it's 82.5kWh LFP battery. Since that first week I have never had to pay for any charge. I have an off-grid solar system (no PEA) that powers my house, 2 EVs and an electric motorbike.

My EV is a sports car with 3.8 seconds 0-100kph that's what the 3.8s is on the back of the car.

370168092_294430960048879_4964042192608601355_n.thumb.jpg.f2b253447aea3b82fe2402d4e46761d5.jpg

A video with my Thai friend in the car

Fuel and freedom is for real men.  You can take your friend to Brokeback Mountain ⛰️ any day you want, no need to tell me.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I wish the anti-EVers would make up their minds. Some says flooding causes EVs to burst into flames and we here we have move along Joe saying that it would cause it not to burn.

It’s just another made up myth, like so many others.

Tell that myth to the hundreds of people who have died due to ev fires...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You are commuting almost 160km per day, if you can charge at work or home, you are going to have a full tank of electrons every day with an EV.

You will save a lot of money, running, an EV, not only that, but you are going to arrive at your destination, much more relaxed, and refreshed because of the silent drive.

EV’s travel through flooded roads where ICE cars cannot.

On Your second point about distance to home and only 12 km left, that is not going to happen, because because your car is going to be full of electrons every morning if you charge at home or every evening if you charge at work.

Charging at home or work was not my question.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It’s been a while since I drove an ICEV or visited a petrol station. Since you’re obviously well versed in ICEs, I was wondering. If I had 70 kms to travel and my fuel range indicator shows 80 km of range left and the roads are choco blocked with start and go traffic, could I make it to my destination without having to turn off my air con or turning off the engine each time traffic comes to a halt?

Or should I have engaged my brain earlier and made sure that I had sufficient range, taking into account that accidents could occur causing traffic jams, that it could rain causing flash floods etc?

ahh another that ignores my question.

32 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As often stated on these threads ev’s aren’t for everyone, if your circumstances mean you don’t have easy access to a charger ( home or office) then you should consider the inconvenience you are prepared to experience if buying one ( although a weekly trip to a nearby pump or mall would be sufficient for most people).

If you travel regularly long distances and are worried about excessive time spent charging or lack of chargers you should consider this also ( even though I find charging infrastructure more than adequate and after a few hours driving i am ready for a bathroom/meal break while charging ).

I can charge my EV every night if i wish waking up with 100% battery and a 600 km range, paying 2.6 baht a unit/kw , i can set the timer to charge as much or as little as i like , obviously those with solar benefit even further.

Some foresight is required to avoid any complications but with many ev’s having > 400km range and LFP batteries ( top up to 100% daily with no degradation) then it is only common sense to avoid leaving yourself short.

If you are interested in purchasing an EV and come here for information to help you decide then welcome.

If you come here to discuss the pros and cons of EV ownership to assist others decide then welcome.

If you come here, despite knowing very little about the subject, and just post negative views, despite often unfounded, because that’s what you do on most threads here then you need to seek help.

yeah nice blurb.

but if battery is low.... but has just enough indicated capacity to get home on a regular commute.

if that commute doubles or triples due to congestion cause by accident or flooding will there be enough charge ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

If it doubles or triples then no there will not be enough charge, but if you put yourself in that situation where you let the battery charge get down so low without covering the eventualities then you probably deserve to get stranded to teach you a lesson for the future.

As an aside , the same scenario could arise in an ICE car and probably has on more than one occasion.

ok so one would be <deleted> then.

same scenario with an ICE vehicle.

With an ICE vehicle the motor way rescue crew could come with a 5lt jug of fuel to get me going again......

8 minutes ago, macahoom said:

For the sake of my sanity, would it be possible for AN to instigate an IQ test that members would be required to pass before posting?

the pub sub forum would be dead

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

ok so one would be <deleted> then.

same scenario with an ICE vehicle.

With an ICE vehicle the motor way rescue crew could come with a 5lt jug of fuel to get me going again......

or someone could give you some electrons via the charging port .

15 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I have seen reports in the EV facebook groups  of batteries being unstable or unreliable once the battery drops below 20% some EV owners reporting range drops from 12km to 0km in less than 30 seconds

inteesting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1