Electric Vehicles in Thailand

5 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Right, so if the car is consuming 1.3 kWh for propulsion (10 km @ 7 km/kWh) and the AC is separately using 1 kWh, then the overall milage for EVs drops significantly in hot weather and slow moving Bangkok city traffic, similarly to the case of extreme cold weather and highway speed.

@Pib probably has the number, but just like ICE, EVs certainly also have a 20-80 km/h sweet spot in terms of fuel efficiency. 

I think the air con is already worked into the mileage, air con is usually always running, often with the heater at the same time, purpose being dehumidification.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I mentioned my lady friend in her 70's had ordered an Atto 3 410, yesterday she had a test drive of the MG4 X-Power and put down a deposit on it.  

I had a feeling she might, she likes fast cars. 

🎶 "And everybody's sayin' that there's nobody meaner than the little old lady from Pasadena
She drives real fast and she drives real hard
She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard
It's the little old lady from Pasadena

Go granny, go granny, go granny go!" 🎶 

Edited by macahoom
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think the air con is already worked into the mileage, air con is usually always running, often with the heater at the same time, purpose being dehumidification.

Yep ... if we're in the car, the AC is on, and usually fair low temp/hi fan setting.   We don't do the window tinting thing, as I actually enjoy being able to see, especially at night.  Car cools off quite fast after sitting, a mere minute or 2 max.   We don't have a sun roof, just for that reason.

As I posted, 2% an hour, doesn't add up to much, over a 3hr drive (240-275kms) and we still get 340-360kms local driving (30-60-90kph), and 300-320kms highway driving, 90kph +/- when possible.  Sometimes more, but never less kms per charge.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Wow, so not content with making up nonsense against EVs, you're now making up nonsense about diesel cars. Do you work for the same company as Expat Oil Worker? (Even he has mellowed out a bit on the nonsense front these days)

Obviously reading is not your strong point. So the C300 that I test drove, and the 7 series and S Class diesels I've been in were clunkers? Righty ho.

I mean say you don't like EVs, no problem (as long as you base your opinion on trying one), but you can't expect to be taken seriously when you try to say diesels are not noisy, rattly and smelly. Quiet as a mouse, hilarious.

I gave you a .............😂

You don't know what you are talking about, perhaps you are so used to the EV whisper that anything mechanical has affecting your ears..........😂

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

WHAT!? Thb 2,300 just to travel 1,000 km? You diesel pickup truck drivers must be rich. My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol.

Fairytales I think I am not aware of any car that can travel 1,000km without stopping on just fresh air and sunshine

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Funny that, my car has done 3,000km on fresh air & sunshine.

I don't believe you that your car has completed 3,000 km in a single trip without stopping Fairy Tales

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

WHAT!? Thb 2,300 just to travel 1,000 km? You diesel pickup truck drivers must be rich. My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol.

"My car travels on fresh air and… sunshine lol."

.....and the toxic mess that is its battery.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Fairytales I think I am not aware of any car that can travel 1,000km without stopping on just fresh air and sunshine

Last night on TV I saw an EV charging station powered by a diesel ICE......😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

No I didn't, I was very careful not to say it could do it in one go. You need to read exactly what I said, not what you wanted to see.

I did read it exactly, so did others, and word games are not cricket on a few of you's serious subject....😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Mine doesn’t 

Really, are you sure, I thought they all had a 12volt battery to energise stuff....🤗

Tell me how yours does that job..........?   😉

Just now, Gweiloman said:

You really should get with the times. BYD uses a lithium ion 12 volt battery, not lead acid.

Can ICE rides have a lithium 12 volt battery...?

41 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

The truck is used for business and the fuel cost is of little consequence when weighed against near constant availability and utility.

I use my car for business as well. I just don’t have to drive more than a couple of hundred kilometres a day.

Let’s see. 1,000 kms a day for work at Thb 2,300 a pop. 25 working days a month. 25 x Thb 2,300 = Thb 57,500 per month. And that’s only the fuel cost. But it’s of little consequence to your business. Wow, congratulations on your multi million baht business, using just your diesel pickup. You’re my hero.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Gweiloman said:

Of course. Doesn’t yours? Oh I forgot, you don’t own a car.

I maintain a car & bike chap, though they don't have a lead/acid battery, you will have to follow me more closely.....😘

I did read somewhere that Tesla used a lead/acid battery type to get things going. Perhaps they don't any more, you would know...🤗