Electric Vehicles in Thailand

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

JAECOO 6 EV 100% electric car, 69.8 kWh battery, runs 470 km. Launched in Thailand in 2024 by Chery, will be launched as a right-hand drive vehicle in Thailand first.

IMG_6699.thumb.jpeg.2f3cf86637b8034e117963bceba3c739.jpeg

IMG_6700.thumb.jpeg.390a0c860a59b80df494cf06fa42122e.jpegIMG_6701.thumb.jpeg.ac61f765c996adb8cf5af68b62fc05ed.jpegIMG_6702.thumb.jpeg.62a74647588a1410fea8f93736dd2423.jpegIMG_6703.thumb.jpeg.aae34cdf3220499f44cd8ca1a5519d0b.jpegIMG_6704.thumb.jpeg.a29871f81f97a15b207c7b6423528b02.jpegIMG_6706.thumb.jpeg.97d7a7e9a7f01f6bedada27fba643d93.jpeg

371 kilometers range (WLTP standard)

Quite slow 80kW DC charging.

They'll have to do better than that.

• Like 1

Tesla scraps plan for EV factory in Thailand

"Tesla is currently only discussing charging stations, with the factory plans suspended not just in Thailand but worldwide. They are not proceeding in Malaysia, Indonesia, or anywhere else except for China, America, and Germany," said the source.

https://www.nationthailand.com/blogs/business/investment/40040336

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's about standard for the price point.  80kW fast charging more than enough, considering the speed of most charging cables when O&A.  Irrelevant for home charging overnight.

Along with 4 hours of Thai road driving.   Everyone's not in a hurry or Ps in bottle while driving.   Our car (2022 'old' tech now :cheesy:) will accept 76kW, and 320 WLTP rating (quite accurate), and yet to need faster or be on the road longer or further on any one stretch.

80 kW is sufficient but would be nice to get huger speeds, particularly during busy periods. Like right now with the free charging offered by BYD, a faster speed would significantly reduce the waiting times at participating Rever CSS.

17 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

80 kW is sufficient but would be nice to get huger speeds, particularly during busy periods. Like right now with the free charging offered by BYD, a faster speed would significantly reduce the waiting times at participating Rever CSS.

True, but I don't think the rest of the CS network is going to catch up or pass the 75kW mark on charging cables anytime soon.   Once the freebies disappear, so will the Qs.

Faster good for the 'on the road' working stiff, or single occupant long drives.   But we can't P, walk the dog, and have a munch that quick :cheesy:

100+ when a lot more BEVs on the road, will be quite handy, as the car to CS ratio changes.  That's a few years away though, till needed.    As most of the weekender traffic, away from Krung Thep, isn't that far away.  Khao Yai, Patts, Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi.

I think hotels incorporating more charging cables, even 22kW would be a lot more beneficial to BEV owners.  Imaging 5 or 10 of those at most hotels, that would be sweet.   Convenient and extra revenue stream for hotels/

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 5:05 PM, Pib said:

I've now had my Atto for almost 8 months & 14K kilometers....zero problems....knock on wood (my head). 

Come back when you have had it for 8 YEARS with no problems, like my Toyota Vigo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, matchar said:

371 kilometers range (WLTP standard)

Quite slow 80kW DC charging.

They'll have to do better than that.

Just regarding the slow 80KW DC charging comment while I agree it would be nice if faster "if you use a DC Charger a lot" it's fast enough if you use a wall charger at home or just take occassional long distance trips. 

Plus, its common for many DC Chargers to only provide around 60KW per charging cable connector if both connectors are in use....like many PEA and PTT chargers which are often 120KW chargers that will split to 60KW between the two charging connectors when both connectors are in use which is often.   And yes, there are quite a few DC chargers that have a higher KW rating but no even close to being enough....and with many DC chargers in Thailand being 120KW chargers, I can understand that since many EVs have a battery charging curve where a 120KW charger gets the job done satisfactory without the high cost of a much bigger charging station.

Let's not forget the battery's charging "curve" because batteries do not charge a full rate from 0 to 100%.  Most lithium type Ev batteries will charge at maximun rate up to about 60% charge and then that charging rate will start rolling off fast even if you have the EV hooked up to a million KW charger.    If the EV is around 60% or more charged, the battery's charge curve rate is going to drop significantly and then drop again arokund the 85% point.  For example see the BYD Atto and Seal battery charging curves.

BYD Atto Charging Curve

image.png.f11863c400800bcd55e5191da632212f.png

BYD Seal Charging Curve

image.png.3e50d5ba84a5baf3c62a6b15c8c0ae2b.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I don't know, I have never had to have anything repaired.

I wonder how much you spent servicing your Vigo in those 8 years, BYD owners get it for free.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I think hotels incorporating more charging cables, even 22kW would be a lot more beneficial to BEV owners.  Imaging 5 or 10 of those at most hotels, that would be sweet.   Convenient and extra revenue stream for hotels/

please correct me if i'm wrong, but if we're talking about ac charging, not many cars can charge at 22 kw ...

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Come back when you have had it for 8 YEARS with no problems, like my  Toyota Vigo.

By then he would have saved 336k by not buying petrol (@ 14 kpL using 91), as what we'd save if driving 20k kms locally and using PEA/MEA to charge at home.  Along with 15 oil changes & 3 or 4 total tune ups.  Along with the extra 100k buy in cost for the Vigo.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

please correct me if i'm wrong, but if we're talking about ac charging, not many cars can charge at 22 kw ...

Nah, talking DC slow charging cables, and more than enough when at a hotel, and not going anywhere.  Lots of malls & hotels have them already.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

By then he would have saved 336k by not buying petrol (@ 14 kpL using 91), as what we'd save if driving 20k kms locally and using PEA/MEA to charge at home.  Along with 15 oil changes & 3 or 4 total tune ups.  Along with the extra 100k buy in cost for the Vigo.

Yes, you are correct. BYD next week.

8 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

I think we will see more cars with 22Kw charging, but it adds quite a bit to the price when it's an option.

More than 100,000 baht to upgrade some German cars from 11Kw to 22Kw capability.

• Thanks 1

That is a sweet deal.  Maybe BYD will do the same to remain competitive and calm down some past customers who bought before BYD's BIG price cutting began in late 2023.  But I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think we will see more cars with 22Kw charging, but it adds quite a bit to the price when it's an option.

More than 100,000 baht to upgrade some German cars from 11Kw to 22Kw capability.

Please explain to me, what does 11 or 22Kw charging mean. Thanks.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Single phase Wallboxes  can charge between 6 amps and 32 amps.  Sometimes they are fixed on their output, typically 32 amps which at 220v is about 7 Kw.

Three phase wallboxes have a top limit of 11 Kw (16 amps per phase) or 22Kw (32 amps per phase), again some are adjustable.

22 Kw capability is useful outside your home, particularly at places like shopping malls and restaurants because you can often fill your car to the top whilst you're parked for a couple of hours.

The charger itself is actually in your car, the wallbox is just a control and safety unit that negotiates the charging speed and safety with your car.

The fast DC chargers you see at service stations have all the electronics inside and cost around a million baht each for a high capacity one.

So can you charge a car which has the rectifier gobbins built into the car from a DC station?

Need to know as I am thinking down the EV path.

And does a self charging hybrid run only on petrol?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So can you charge a car which has the rectifier gobbins built into the car from a DC station?

Need to know as I am thinking down the EV path.

And does a self charging hybrid run only on petrol?

1. Yes.  When charging from DC station the EV's built-in rectifier is not needed...nit used.

2.  No.  Can be petrol,  diesel  or any fossil fuel....all depends on the model.

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

1. Yes.  When charging from DC station the EV's built-in rectifier is not needed...nit used.

2.  No.  Can be petrol,  diesel  or any fossil fuel....all depends on the model.

You know that I meant fossil fuels. Pedantic Pib!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1