Electric Vehicles in Thailand

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

That’s great value for a 50kWh car

IMG_1826.jpeg.06c4cadf15767f5d12ef236d860a7713.jpeg

I put a deposit down on one in 2019 when it was ฿1.1m and had a 44kWh battery, half the price of the Nissan Leaf at the time.

Unfortunately the company chosen by MG to install the free wall box refused to install for me as I had solar “solar no good” 

Why unfortunately??

You dodged a bullet, paying 1.1 million for a car that clearly is not even worth 600k.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

That’s great value for a 50kWh car

IMG_1826.jpeg.06c4cadf15767f5d12ef236d860a7713.jpeg

I put a deposit down on one in 2019 when it was ฿1.1m and had a 44kWh battery, half the price of the Nissan Leaf at the time.

Unfortunately the company chosen by MG to install the free wall box refused to install for me as I had solar “solar no good” 

Great prices, and I see the advert quite often, BUT, not on MG Thailand official site's promotion page.   Not sure what the deal is, or are they sales rep cars, showroom models, or actual new, never driven vehicles, simply discounted to move stock for new upgraded arrivals. 

The latter would make it a great buy, if the new models aren't the same price :cheesy:

We love ours, and 350k cheaper would have really been nice, or even the 120k less promo running now on official MG site ...

image.png.9e4f0ac54434edd4fd39443a6c0e9a64.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

i took a closer look at the data for the byd sealion 6 dm-i.

it has an 18.3 kwh lfp battery with an 8-year or 160,000-km battery warranty and offers an ev range of 92 km on a full charge.

if i conservatively estimate 2,000 charge cycles for the lfp battery, that results in 2,000 x 92 km = 184,000 km !!!

(from mr. google: commercially available LiFePO4 batteries last anywhere from 2000 cycles to 10,000 cycles)

on the thai market, there are various car brands offering phevs with smaller batteries and a range of around 30-50 km.

after 2,000 charge cycles, their total km would be even lower ...!

am i making a mistake in my conclusion? of course, it depends on many factors, like how you use the phev car and if you

only drive in ev mode. anyway, even though there are some good phev's available here in thailand, for my personal needs,

a 100% bev is my choice. :smile:

• Like 1

This answers that question.  Why would anyone buy a ICEV SUV, sedan, hatchback or whatever car, 'made in TH', when you could have one of these.  599k or 699k baht, when you can't even get a 1.5L, AT, ICEV for that price.

Mind boggling :coffee1:

image.png.eac4fc50550c1890a6a925a167ed7551.png

@Yellowtail I think you need to adjust your ROI #s to -0- years  :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

"EVs to the southwest, thousands of 'em" ..

The great EV car park off Highway 7 remains nicely filled. What is more curious is there's a little sign at the entrance saying "Thailand Warehouse 1112" (also in Thai and Chinese). The sign also has a very small logo for Nexpoint. Nexpoint is interesting because it's an EV commercial vehicle company. And if you really want to get into the weeds, one of the directors is Amorn Sapthaweekul, right hand man of Energy Absolute's Somphote Ahunai (but that's a whole other story). So are these another new brand about to hit the market? There seem to be several different models in the car park

image.thumb.jpeg.71b5fb181c4625918d901beacb1e55bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3e944fc727400565fe7e4bfdf896e0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

"EVs to the southwest, thousands of 'em" ..

The great EV car park off Highway 7 remains nicely filled. What is more curious is there's a little sign at the entrance saying "Thailand Warehouse 1112" (also in Thai and Chinese). The sign also has a very small logo for Nexpoint. Nexpoint is interesting because it's an EV commercial vehicle company. And if you really want to get into the weeds, one of the directors is Amorn Sapthaweekul, right hand man of Energy Absolute's Somphote Ahunai (but that's a whole other story). So are these another new brand about to hit the market? There seem to be several different models in the car park

image.thumb.jpeg.71b5fb181c4625918d901beacb1e55bd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3e944fc727400565fe7e4bfdf896e0.jpeg

https://motortrivia.com/2023/08/aion-to-launches-aion-y-plus-in-thailand/

image.png.f5d1c568b5a45abf7940150039a49685.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Stock BYD , kicking butt of souped up overprice crap ... :cheesy:

Sorry, I love the Seal, but I would take the GT-R or the AMG GTS. I wouldn't call them "crap" as that just sounds silly.

I would take the Seal over the that Golf though - in a heartbeat. But a genuine supercar? Nah, I'd take the supercar.

• Agree 1

Just now, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, I love the Seal, but I would take the GT-R or the AMG GTS. I wouldn't call them "crap" as that just sounds silly.

I would take the Seal over the that Golf though - in a heartbeat. But a genuine supercar? Nah, I'd take the supercar.

Yea, but price & value for us poor folks.  It's a no brainer.  Buy a car, or buy a car and a house w/solar and avoid most future operating & maintenance cost.

Our car & house cost less than some of these cars.  Unless you got a race track out back ... my ego doesn't need to know, the car can do that, but I've got nowhere safe to play with it.

Even the Seal is overkill for me, speed demon that I used to be.   I'd rarely need or use that power, or end up killing myself or someone else .... :cheesy:

I'm old & practical now ... 😭

37 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Price comparison for similar performance: 

IMG_6875.jpeg.fb5a66f0862c573a7f90396b86b6d5fb.jpegIMG_6876.jpeg.184e6cc3a2549e3a021520dcc2daa1ad.jpegIMG_6877.jpeg.2c2fdc9c22ee8f7f0707ffc6b3c1078a.jpeg

Whoa ... almost 1/10th the price :shock1:

I could think of a few toys to buy with the extra ฿฿฿฿฿

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I have owned a number of Benzes in my life from 1986 until 2006. The early models were pretty much way better than other cars on the road, better built and classy. But over the years Toyota have overhauled Benz and their quality has fallen dramatically whereas Toyota styling has grown better and better. For me the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon is the best looking and most luxurious car in the world for its price. I cannot understand why Toyota don't sell them globally. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, retarius said:

For me the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon is the best looking and most luxurious car in the world for its price. I cannot understand why Toyota don't sell them globally. 

is the toyota crown royal saloon an ev car? could it be you didn't realise, the topic is about "ev's in thailand" ... :smile:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, retarius said:

tf, course, They have a hybrid option. Toyota decide years ago that Evenly were not going to be viable and invested solely in hybrids. They were the only company to do so, and now all the other manufacturers are playing catch up. 

How strange, I'm seeing lots of EV's on the roads here, they're selling pretty well for something that's not viable.

• Agree 2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:00 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Quick Charge.jpg

Which is 35 minutes longer than acceptable to me. I don't have much life left to me and I'd rather not spend it at a charging station.

My ICE car drives just fine and I hold no truck with the notion that driving an EV is saving the planet.

:violin:

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, but price & value for us poor folks.  It's a no brainer.  Buy a car, or buy a car and a house w/solar and avoid most future operating & maintenance cost.

Our car & house cost less than some of these cars.  Unless you got a race track out back ... my ego doesn't need to know, the car can do that, but I've got nowhere safe to play with it.

Even the Seal is overkill for me, speed demon that I used to be.   I'd rarely need or use that power, or end up killing myself or someone else .... :cheesy:

I'm old & practical now ... 😭

Sooooo, no long car journeys for you anymore then? Got to stay within range of the solar charger. I hope you don't get bored at home.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

Is it significant that EVs all look like ICE cars? Could it be that if they looked different people wouldn't buy them?

As I see it the future of EVs is tiny shopping carts to use in cities and proper cars to use for long journeys. People wouldn't even own the EV and they would be like the e scooters we see littering pavements, available to rent. Could park 4 of them in one normal car parking space.

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooo, no long car journeys for you anymore then? Got to stay within range of the solar charger. I hope you don't get bored at home.

Not sure how you read that, out of that post.  Never stop going O&A.  Just get there a bit slower than that 3.2 seconds to that 100 kph.   No rabbit starts to the speed limit :cheesy:

Have to take 5 extra seconds, as think the ZS does it in ~8 seconds :coffee1:

What a POS, but 1/2 price ... think I can live with that, besides, In need the SUV, for getting in /out of.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1