Electric Vehicles in Thailand

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Mine was from a different DLT spreadsheet that had tens of thousands of spreadsheet rows along with pull down menus a person can select to pick certain vehicle categories, months, etc.    As I said earlier "...if I summed and sorted correctly..." maybe I didn't...maybe various spreadsheets from the DLT website will give slightly different results....and as you said the DLT stats are difficult to navigate.    Go with the numbers from your snapshot above since DLT did that summary sheet.

Let's just make sure whatever we use, we do the same in future months, no cherry picking.

12 minutes ago, Pib said:

Mine was from a different DLT spreadsheet that had tens of thousands of spreadsheet rows along with pull down menus a person can select to pick certain vehicle categories, months, etc.    As I said earlier "...if I summed and sorted correctly..." maybe I didn't...maybe various spreadsheets from the DLT website will give slightly different results....and as you said the DLT stats are difficult to navigate.    Go with the numbers from your snapshot above since DLT did that summary sheet.

Since autolife seems to add more and more vehicles outside the RY1 category, how about we go with the DLT numbers only.

If all agrees @Pib and @vinny41, then I will update the chart with the below numbers for RY1 total vehicles, EV registrations. The old autolife numbers shown in () will then be deleted. 

2024:

January 66,790, 13,321 (13,653)

February 48,774, 3,530 (3,635)

March 47,186, 4,722 (5,001)

April  39,697, 4,009 (4,088)

May 45,101, 5,274 (5,474)

June 44,847, 5,661 (5,773)

July 42,733, 5,474 (5,786)

August 41,433, 6,211 (TBA)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Since autolife seems to add more and more vehicles outside the RY1 category, how about we go with the DLT numbers only.

If all agrees @Pib and @vinny41, then I will update the chart with the below numbers for RY1 total vehicles, EV registrations. The old autolife numbers shown in () will then be deleted. 

2024:

Sounds good to me.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

2024:

I prefer we report only RY.1 too and when we start seeing EV pickups, we compare that category separately.  It is trends that I am interested in, up or down.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

September 1st, 2024 EV summary Thailand 🇹🇭

Total EV registrations: 137,236

Total EV miles driven: 824.0 million miles

August Highlights:

- EV owners want the newest technology, with last century's Jaguar style walnut trim from Aliexpess. How do they stay green and environmentally friendly, chopping down trees or embrace the petrochemical industry and make it from plastic?

- MG not only drop their pants, but fully undress with a 350,000 baht discount on a 950,000 baht vehicle. 

- MG bend over BeYond Discount and let them have it with a 480,000 baht discount on the MG HS PHEV.

- ORA the dead cat 🐈 scratch 240,000 baht off the price.

- Haval also have-it and join the price war with a 450,000 baht reduction. 

- Evil electronic ghosts 👻 live in belly of the Seal 🦭, controlling and closing the window at will. It is most likely a spy enhancing feature so the CCP can clearly record any conversion in the vehicle. 

- Toyota has gained market share in Thailand 🇹🇭 and the orange 🍊 Aussie propagandist has lost all credibility, if he ever had any. Fake news from beginning to end.

- The FactCheck patrol 🚓 was alerted 📢 to an EV propaganda crime scene where hybrid cars were classified as EVs. Education is important, a PHEV is not an EV.

- A few rainy weeks and the solar dream come all crashing down and battery percentage is being monitored closely. Can we heat the morning coffee ️ or wait until noon when the sun is out?

- The 3-phase connection on the Seal 🦭 only have 1 phase 🤪 😜.

- In a desperate attempt to inflate falling sales numbers a new vehicle clarification was introduced as New Energy Vehicle (NEV), which is neither new nor old as it includes EVs and PHEV, so basically PH(EV)².

Thai EV fire 🔥 risk: 9.7 fire/billion miles

Tesla global: 5 fire/billion miles

ICE (USA): 55 fire/billion miles

1. Tesla 3 - September 20th, 2021, power pole collision Rama 2, Bangkok.

2. BYD Atto 3 - January 21st, 2023, house fire, Songkran. Traction battery did not burn.

3. BYD Seal - March 14th, 2024, Ratchaburi roll-over.

4. Porsche Taycan - May 24th, 2024, battery explosion, Paradise Car Showroom, Bangkok.

5. Neta-V - June 11th, 2024, median accident and fire, Saraburi.

6. Neta-V - June 12th, 2024, accident and fire at towing area, Tha Phra, Khon Kaen.

7. MG ES - June 22nd, 2024, hit axle part on the road, Chonburi motorway.

8. Unknown brand & model - August 8th, 2024, Coffee shop Bo, Mae Soruay, Chiang Rai.

Screenshot_20240906_122519_Chart Maker.jpg

Screenshot_20240906_121830_Chart Maker.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Chinese automaker MG is set to make a major leap in the electric vehicle (EV) world by 2025, with the launch of solid-state batteries, a technology long sought after for its efficiency and cost benefits.

While companies like Toyota have been working on this innovation for years, it seems MG is about to take the lead.

It will be interesting to see the model released next year, a 12 minute charging time and 400 kilometer range.

MG Set to Launch Super Batteries for Electric Cars by 2025 (msn.com)

In the same speech Yu Jingmin mentioned about the S5 model launching in November. This car is a relatively small electric SUV that uses lithium iron phosphate batteries. It will not be possible to fit a solid-state battery in such a model for a long time until 2030 at the earliest. Initially, such batteries will be exclusive to more high-end models and competing against NCM chemistry batteries. Xu Yanhua, Secretary-General of the China Automotive Power Battery Industry Innovation Alliance, has stated that before 2030 the battery market in China will still be dominated by liquid batteries.

https://carnewschina.com/2024/09/04/mg-will-launch-an-ev-with-a-solid-state-battery-in-the-first-half-of-2025-claims-saic/

MG Cyber GTS  might be 1st vehicle using solid state battery

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The Bangkok Post has a 6 Sep 2024 article titled: Thai EV Sales to Miss Target As Banks Curb Loans on Debt Risk.  

To summarize some of the points in the article:

- Thailand EV sales will miss its target/forecast for 2024 according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand.   The association is revising its original forecast from 150K to 80K EV sales.   But this 80K forecast is still 5% more than the 76K EV sold in 2023.

-  Thailand auto industry is cutting it 1.9M production forecast for all types of vehicles (i.e., ICEV, EV, etc)  to 1.7M.

- Banks now have a 50% auto loan refusal rate for all types of vehicles to reduce non-performing loan risks....that definitely affects auto sales.

-  The auto industry is having a down year in various ways.

- Etc....etc....etc

article is incorrect regarding number of ev's sold in 2023

autolife published number of registrations for 2023 as 76,314 and this number doesn't include December sales under EV 3.0 subsidy which ended 31st December 23;59

Data from the Department of Land Transport indicate that the EV market has not been particularly strong since the beginning of the year. January recorded the highest number of registrations for the year at 13,321 units, driven partly by a rush to register before the January 31 deadline to qualify for benefits under the EV promotion plan, EV 3.0, which offers a 2% excise tax and a subsidy of up to 150,000 baht.

https://www.nationthailand.com/blogs/business/automobile/40039276

totall number of ev sales for 2023 is in the region of 89,000

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I know this is off topic, but started with my finance quote for the Sealion.

Went to Honda for a Wave i125, cash price 57900 plus registration and insurance, all in 61160. As soon as I mentioned finance, the basic price went up 11,000 before interest was added, at however only 1.1%. Still costing 80,000 for 42 months. Rip off eh?

Since the scooter is for the Mrs, guessing she doesn't need top end speed >80 kph, or long distance >50-60 kms per day.   Might want to peek at DECO E-MC.  They have a nice line to pick from.

We've had the SUSU model for 3 years, and love it.   I'm on it a few times a week.   Had the H. Wave 125i, and rarely rode it, except to top up the tank & put air in the tires.

Nice prices with the 18,000 govt incentive ... 

image.png.07e73de1aeb389eac682a43c47831f51.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

2024:

I don't have an issue with that method majority of pickup sales are already included in R.Y,1

It should be noted just reporting on R.Y.1 will be undereporting of EV sales figures

Byd,MG and Aion do have registrations in other dlt  vehicle categories

Cars in Thailand are divided into 17 types according to the Motor Vehicle Act of 1979 and the Wheel Act of 1930, each with different characteristics and usage patterns. As a result, the annual tax, transfer fees, and documents for the Department of Land Transport are different. Let's get to know the different types of registered cars.

Example if a national taxi association placed an order for 50,000 EV's they would go unreported as they would come under R.Y.6 

Type 6: Passenger cars for hire carrying no more than 7 people 

And you need to decide what is the purpose of these reports if it is yearly sales then it should be from 1st February to 31st January 

If RY6 and RY10 were include in August 2024 figures EV numbers would increase from 6,211 to 6,376

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I don't have an issue with that method majority of pickup sales are already included in R.Y,1

It should be noted just reporting on R.Y.1 will be undereporting of EV sales figures

Byd,MG and Aion do have registrations in other dlt  vehicle categories

Cars in Thailand are divided into 17 types according to the Motor Vehicle Act of 1979 and the Wheel Act of 1930, each with different characteristics and usage patterns. As a result, the annual tax, transfer fees, and documents for the Department of Land Transport are different. Let's get to know the different types of registered cars.

Example if a national taxi association placed an order for 50,000 EV's they would go unreported as they would come under R.Y.6 

Type 6: Passenger cars for hire carrying no more than 7 people 

And you need to decide what is the purpose of these reports if it is yearly sales then it should be from 1st February to 31st January 

If RY6 and RY10 were include in August 2024 figures EV numbers would increase from 6,211 to 6,376

For consistency we will just use RY.1 for now. It is fine that some EVs are not counted,  as we also not including ICE from other categories and the market share fraction seems to be the best tracker for the success/ failure of the EV market.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Since the scooter is for the Mrs, guessing she doesn't need top end speed >80 kph, or long distance >50-60 kms per day.   Might want to peek at DECO E-MC.  They have a nice line to pick from.

We are off to there tomorrow, dealer in Phitsanulok. Thanks.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

We've had the SUSU model for 3 years, and love it.   I'm on it a few times a week.   Had the H. Wave 125i, and rarely rode it, except to top up the tank & put air in the tires.

Nice prices with the 18,000 govt incentive ... 

image.png.07e73de1aeb389eac682a43c47831f51.png

2 years ago we gave our Honda Click to the family and bought a ฿30k 1,000W Deco Hannah. I occasional use it and it's great fun. This morning someone parked the Click blocking my BYD and I had to push it out of the way. I had forgotten how heavy and ungainly it was after the Hannah. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

We are off to there tomorrow, dealer in Phitsanulok. Thanks.

Make sure they are the new models, LFP battery chemistry, and not old stock.

Basically come in 3 flavor, difference in styling;

... 1000w motor

... 2000w motor (couple come with dual batteries)

... 3000w (SUSU model)  more than she'll need, as I really don't top it out at all, as it will do 87 at least, and spec'd @ 90 kph.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Make sure they are the new models, LFP battery chemistry, and not old stock.

My Mrs has said Honda Wave = 20 years experience, DECO, made in Thailand is about 3 or 4.

She insists on the Honda.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My Mrs has said Honda Wave = 20 years experience, DECO, made in Thailand is about 3 or 4.

You can pretty much be assured they're coming from CN, parts or whole, as I've seen ours on the 'made in CN' sites.   And they've been at it for decade plus.

I think if she takes one for a test ride, she'll change her find, or at least think hard about it.   I was skeptical, and test drove one half way down the very small parking area at the factory/warehouse, and was sold in 15 secs.

Wife was like ... "what the hell you looking at & test driving a MC for, you just sold one since you never rode it"  :cheesy:

Stopped at the Pranburi dealer on the way home, and ordered it 😎  She drove and she loves it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

They've been at it for at least 5 years and now have 300 dealers countrywide.

Happy Shopping, good luck 

• Thumbs Up 2

For two month I've tried to buy an electric Bike. Want to go for a Felo FW7, but next Shop is 120 km away. No option.

Then I was looking for a Deco Double Ace and found two Shops in Hua Hin (same Owner) and a Shop in Pranburi, but they could not answer the simplest Question like Manufacturer Year or what kind of Battery will come with the Bike. So for now I have stopped to buy an electric Bike. If other Shops working the same way it doesn't wonder me that you see some few E Bikes on the Road only.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, UWEB said:

For two month I've tried to buy an electric Bike. Want to go for a Felo FW7, but next Shop is 120 km away. No option.

Then I was looking for a Deco Double Ace and found two Shops in Hua Hin (same Owner) and a Shop in Pranburi, but they could not answer the simplest Question like Manufacturer Year or what kind of Battery will come with the Bike. So for now I have stopped to buy an electric Bike. If other Shops working the same way it doesn't wonder me that you see some few E Bikes on the Road only.

We used the Pranburi dealer for our DECO SUSU model.  After test driving at the factory/warehouse, and wanted to order direct then.   But they said stop at the dealer closest to us, and order.   As didn't have one available anyway, at warehouse or dealer.

Dealer actually went to the factory (Sam Phran District, Nakhon Pathom), 200 kms away from shop, and picked it up, as was in the neighborhood for something else.   At the time saved us about a month on delivery.   Then delivered to the house, about 75 kms away from his shop. 👍👍

I'd think it would be easy enough to sort out, with warehouse & dealer to ensure you get the newest version.  Been out for quite some time, and can't imagine many are holding old stock.  Not like they have that many in reserve, or the impression I got.

All the ones, with few exceptions, including the one I test drove (in parking lot only) all were customer bikes waiting to be delivered.   And the warehouse was packed, and looking like this photo below X3 ...

image.png.d3a9bc39a6e68b84494b5b2491af5952.png

@UWEB you could have simply lifted the seat of the Double Ace when at the shop, and just read the specs on the battery.   Think that's the only thing that was upgraded on most of the MC.   If not in stock, then pretty certain you'd be getting a upgraded version.  

I think the Double Ace is a new model all together.   Reconfigured (Super Ace) to house 2 batteries, along with meter to read 2 batteries.  With that, I don't think there would be 'old stock'.    IF ordering from Hua Hin area, I would get from the Pranburi EV, as agree, the one shop HH that was there when we ordered, wasn't too keen on customer service.

Past specs ...

image.png.709935a7f5297f559ca0b53bc75137d7.png

image.png.b4869dacc97f71103e06e31ebb27d93c.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@UWEB you could have simply lifted the seat of the Double Ace when at the shop, and just read the specs on the battery.   Think that's the only thing that was upgraded on most of the MC.   If not in stock, then pretty certain you'd be getting a upgraded version.  

I think the Double Ace is a new model all together.   Reconfigured (Super Ace) to house 2 batteries, along with meter to read 2 batteries.  With that, I don't think there would be 'old stock'.    IF ordering from Hua Hin area, I would get from the Pranburi EV, as agree, the one shop that was there when we ordered, wasn't too keen on customer service.

Past specs ...

image.png.709935a7f5297f559ca0b53bc75137d7.png

image.png.b4869dacc97f71103e06e31ebb27d93c.png

The 3 Shops had a total of five Double Ace available, all without Batteries. That's why I have raised the Question. And one of the Bikes was partly stripped already, probably to takeout some spares.

EV Pranburi is permanently closed since a while, the one I've found is an ordinary Yamaha Dealer close to Lotus Pranburi and is not registered at Deco as official Dealer. For maintenance and repair they would bring the Bike to Hua Hin Happy EV.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, UWEB said:

The 3 Shops had a total of five Double Ace available, all without Batteries. That's why I have raised the Question. And one of the Bikes was partly stripped already, probably to takeout some spares.

EV Pranburi is permanently closed since a while, the one I've found is an ordinary Yamaha Dealer close to Lotus Pranburi and is not registered at Deco as official Dealer. For maintenance and repair they would bring the Bike to Hua Hin Happy EV.

Yea ... that doesn't sound right, and agree with your skepticism.  

25 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If you can't afford a real car, you can at least make it look like a real car.

1725599543787.jpg

Your joking right ... and you're driving what, that 18 yr old thing still ?

2.73 M, and that's not even the hybrid price (start 3.2M)

Their website sucks ... very little info, and what little info

available, shows quite the under preforming POS

image.png.1ad09bef0075a0dacda09dd4a694075d.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your joking right ... and you're driving what, that 18 yr old thing still ?

2.73 M, and that's not even the hybrid price (start 3.2M)

Their website sucks ... very little info, and what little info

available, shows quite the under preforming POS

image.png.1ad09bef0075a0dacda09dd4a694075d.png

You do see it is a Mercedes Garage C 150 AMG, right?

• Haha 1