Electric Vehicles in Thailand

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I don't know what those numbers mean.  5th column is how much you spent on diesel, the rest I have no idea.

Date, brand, kilometers at fill, liters, total cost of fill-up, cost per liter, kilometers per liter previous fill-up, fuel type 

The last four columns are totals since purchase: Kilometers, liters of fuel, Kilometers per liter, miles per gallon. 

The brand and fuel type so I can sort and check the average milage of different fuel brands and types. 

Not sure what you are trying to prove really. Care to elaborate?

Someone claimed: "The fortuna <sic> will be drinking like a camel @120kmh." so I made a joke about camels going a long time without a drink.

Then for whatever reason you jumped in and effectively called me a liar, (which annoys me (when I am not lying) more than when some random know-nothing talks smack about my ride), so I posted records that support my claim.

Not sure what you are trying to do by jumping in and calling me a liar. Care to elaborate? 

(By the way I don't own an EV before you accuse me of something silly)

I do not think buying an EV is silly, and I never said as much. I have said there are some reasons for buying EVs are silly. That said, I do think that someone posting on a car forum that knows they are looking at fuel records can't even tell the date in a spread sheet and figure out at least a few of the other columns is a bit silly. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Last ten fill-ups:

Tuna.thumb.png.76216ded642bdd4ffd76dc9ea3e1c257.png

Not so far in Thailand.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. 

How come you use PT so often? Any benefits or member card?

I exclusively use PTT and get point on the blue card. With your consumption you get a lot of free coffee ️ at Amazon. 

On behalf of the oil 🛢 industry we thanks you for your business 😊 😃

On 2/25/2024 at 8:24 PM, Pib said:

Update:  Above is a partial quote of my earlier post talking my Atto range.  Today the wife and I did a 218Km trip with the vehicle set to ECO mode...I wanted to do a range test in ECO mode vs Normal mode....in Normal mode I was getting around a 422Km range as talked above.   The trip was mostly (around 80%) on major 4-6 lanes wide highways and the remaining 20% on rural two lane roads where you have to watch-out for kids on motorcycles, dogs, cows, chickens, snakes, just anything and everything,  etc.   While on the major highways I kept the speed in the 85-90KmH ballpark whenever possible and only got close to 100KmH for maybe 5 minutes during the whole trip...and on the rural roads the speed was in the 60KmH ballpark.  A/C set to 22C.   I did the whole trip in "ECO" mode as I wanted to see how much better range I got in comparison to "Normal" mode where I get around 422Km real world range.

During this trip I used 47% of my charge...had 53% charge remaining and Atto remaining range guess-o-meter estimated I had remaining range of 255Km (that was a Dynamic range setting estimation) which means my Atto should have a total real world range in "ECO" mode of 473Km which is pretty close to the Atto NEDC range rating of 480Km and even better than its WLTP rating of 420Km.

Now when I did a calculation where I extrapolated/used a ratio formula to estimate if I used 47% charge to go 218Km then using 100% charge I should be able to go X-kilometers that formula gave me a total range of 464Km....9Km less than where the Atto guess-o-meter indicated 473Km total range.  Of course this 464Km assumes the vehicle charge percentage indicator is fairly linear over its 0-100% range.  Example each 10% gets pretty close to the same range....the top 50% gets pretty much the same range as the bottom 50%, etc.  And based on my 4 months of driving the Atto the parentage indicator is pretty linear. 

So, barring a range test where I used ECO mode all the way to zero percent charge (or pretty durn close to it), my real world range today in ECO mode seemed to be in the 473Km to 464Km ballpark which is definitely better than the 422Km I have been getting in Normal mode.  Normal mode gives a person noticeably more power when accelerating quickly.  If using the lower number of 464Km in ECO mode then that's around 10% better (higher) range than if driving in Normal mode.

Another Update After More Atto Driving: 

- This was 243Km worth of driving in the greater Bangkok area and a couple bordering provinces....city and highway driving with the bulk being highway driving in the 70-90KmH ballpark.  All driving in ECO mode...A/C at 22C...two people in the car.    At 45% charge remaining I had gone 243Km and the display said I had 217Km range remaining which equates to a total range of 460Km.  Now when I use another method to estimate total range like I did in my earlier post/range testing where I use the charge percentage to extrapolate/ratio the range the total range would be 442Km.  

So, for my most recent driving the total range is in the 460Km to 442Km ballpark  which is very similar to the 473Km to 464Kn range estimate in my earlier reported driving test.   

The Atto is now being charged back to 100% for at least several hundred kilometers worth of traveling this coming weekend.

Yea, my Atto with my driving style seems to be able to reach/exceed its WLTP range rating of 420Km...but not the NEDC range rating of 480Km.   But if it was limited to city driving in the 30-50Kmh ballpark where most EVs are the most fuel efficient with no A/C it probably would get/exceed a 480Km range just like BYD advertises.  But who wants to drive around with the A/C turned off  in 35-40C weather other than maybe someone with horns, red flesh, and a pointed tale. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

looks cool , same price as current BYD Otto xtd, 1099k with similar upgrades as the BYD Otto 410 , 949k . All coming after may.image.jpeg.9ab50e34732acab3583d8ab5367b393f.jpeg

perhaps the performance moniker means it will be dual motor and all-wheel-drive?

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How come you use PT so often?

Nice new pumps and convenient to where I fuel and have the car washed. I think I was getting better milage, but have not checked in a while, and it takes a lot of data to really see a difference. 

Any benefits or member card?

Yes, I have a member for PT, a small discount on fuel, 50% off on 10 drinks month at their PunThai coffee shops and 10% of Coffee World shops. 

I like the PunThai shops and where I get the car washed it is huge and has great seating, which works out nice. 

I exclusively use PTT and get point on the blue card. With your consumption you get a lot of free coffee ️ at Amazon. 

On behalf of the oil 🛢 industry we thanks you for your business 😊 😃

My wife has the Blue Card and does something with the points. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

looks cool , same price as current BYD Otto xtd, 1099k with similar upgrades as the BYD Otto 410 , 949k . All coming after may.image.jpeg.9ab50e34732acab3583d8ab5367b393f.jpeg

So after the Motor Show? 

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

perhaps the performance moniker means it will be dual motor and all-wheel-drive?

From looking at the projected specs in the article (link at bottom) there is no dual motor/AWD. Same traction battery size...same motor/torque......just minor changes like a slightly larger Infortainment display,  some new cosmetic/color options, etc.   With the same battery and motor sizes as the current Extended Range Atto which has 480Km NEDC range since the mid year model is being called Performance 480 I'm assuming the range will still be 480Km.  

And assuming the Bt100K cash back program is still around the price would be Bt100K cheaper than the current Extended Range (60KWH battery) Atto.   

Seems to be pretty much a visit to the beauty shop for some slightly differently makeup and hair color which is nice....but still basically the same lady underneath the paint.

And regarding the new exterior color of Black, in my opinion black don't usually look that great on many small to mid size vehicles like the Atto....but will have to wait and see what it actually looks like.  Now in my opinon on many full size vehicles/SUVs/sedans black looks great...heck, that's why the the wife and I bought a black Fortuner....and if I had bought a Seal instead of an Atto we would have surely got the Seal in black.   But color preference for cars, houses, clothes, etc., is a highly personal thing and varies greatly among individuals.   More color choices the better as that means more people can get exactly the color they really wanted....and I expect BYD is coming out with a black Atto since many people have asked for a black color.  Give the people what they want.

https://autolifethailand.tv/byd-atto-3-my2024-cosmos-black-dark-blue-hong-kong/

Edited by Pib
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

BYDSealAWDvBMWi4eDrive35.thumb.jpg.d8ef811783bee619b134639b241b9d2a.jpg

Interesting video comparing the BYD Seal AWD at £34k here in Thailand and BMW i4 eDrive35 at £86k in Thailand.

428673518_2337273253132297_1471299483552316232_n.thumb.jpg.8f8659b21dd9d97fd80e1648dcd3ab1e.jpg

Price-BMW-i4-2023-Thailand.jpg.b9cd084557a2f8247b0e6d5cb7da49be.jpg

I've seen a few of the BMW i4 around lately. Good looking but for the grill IMHO. 

I just performed a side-by-side comparison and found that I can get just as hammered-down on a bottle of Ten-High for a fourth the price of a bottle of George Dickel. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Looks like you spend more time filling up your spreadsheet than I do charging my car. Luckily my car tells me my consumption instantly without needing any spreadsheets.

Looks like you're not a spreadsheet guy and know little or nothing about cost analysis. Luckily, the people that sell you things can help you make your buying decisions.

I spend a moment at the pump taking a photo of my odometer and the pump display. I spend a minute or two entering the date, the brand, the liters purchased, the odometer reading, the total price and the type in a sheet I put together twenty years ago and have maintained it through six vehicles. I can determine the precise, total cost of ownership per unit time or distance. I can also break it down by purchase price, cost of service, consumables, taxes and insurance. I have a complete record of every service and repair, and what they costed I don't mess with the tolls, because it would have been a big PITA, but now with that I just top up the easypass every couple of months so I might add it in with my next new vehicle. 

My car will tell me my fuel consumption not just instantly, but continuously. But it won't tell me what I spent per unit distance for my last set of tires or any number of things that interest me. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is this you attempting to ridicule me? What it train spotting? 

Train spotting is a popular pastime of the anally retentive spreadsheet addicted.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Train spotting, and plane spotting, has nothing to do with what you ascribe. Skilled mechanics keep them running. Takes a bit of focus to develop the skills and knowledge to do so. Same for understanding the operating costs of a business so that it is run well. Same for managing a budget….

46 minutes ago, degrub said:

Train spotting, and plane spotting, has nothing to do with what you ascribe. Skilled mechanics keep them running. Takes a bit of focus to develop the skills and knowledge to do so. Same for understanding the operating costs of a business so that it is run well. Same for managing a budget….

Trainspotting

the activity of watching trains and writing down the numbers that each railway engine has. Enthusiasts.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Trainspotting

the activity of watching trains and writing down the numbers that each railway engine has. Enthusiasts.

I watched the Oriental Express cruise by the local park, while walking the dog, before that pandemic thingy, 3 Dec 2019.  It was behind schedule, as I think it should have passed by overnight. 

Didn't take note of engine or carriage #s :coffee1:

Note my photo, but my FB post:

image.png.1a7583b4def4572f97f7f2d49713e518.png

Atto 3 2024 also released in Japan 

IMG_3014.thumb.jpeg.2ca70385e63050454a319358f8c7205c.jpeg

appears there they have dropped the red in favour of the new black, interesting, i would have dropped basic blue first, let’s see what happens here.

IMG_3015.jpeg.29467e519879d803d4649e1037bc484b.jpeg

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Haval joins the discount party.

The H6 Ultra PHEV is extremely attractive at this price imho.

IMG_3012.jpeg.462758339c4799891d062923d82bb3c8.jpeg

IMG_3013.thumb.jpeg.7808129b517d439e5fd1ff2f2927a9d3.jpeg

https://autolifethailand.tv/discount-official-price-haval-h6-phev-thailand/

Offer open from today to April 7th

Knocking 300k THB off the price of a 1.7m THB car does 2 things, it p?ss?s off the previous buyers whose cars immediately depreciate and it destroys trust in the brand from both new & old customers after the initial rush of new buyers.

It is a fantastic spec for the price.  How does @Gweiloman feel? I think you bought one?

I am mildy p?ss?ed off that BYD knocked 50k THB off my 1.6m THB car but majorly p?ss?d off that MG knocked 100k THB off my 969k THB car.

23 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Looks like you're not a spreadsheet guy and know little or nothing about cost analysis. Luckily, the people that sell you things can help you make your buying decisions.

I spend a moment at the pump taking a photo of my odometer and the pump display. I spend a minute or two entering the date, the brand, the liters purchased, the odometer reading, the total price and the type in a sheet I put together twenty years ago and have maintained it through six vehicles. I can determine the precise, total cost of ownership per unit time or distance. I can also break it down by purchase price, cost of service, consumables, taxes and insurance. I have a complete record of every service and repair, and what they costed I don't mess with the tolls, because it would have been a big PITA, but now with that I just top up the easypass every couple of months so I might add it in with my next new vehicle. 

My car will tell me my fuel consumption not just instantly, but continuously. But it won't tell me what I spent per unit distance for my last set of tires or any number of things that interest me. 

Actually, I’m a spreadsheet expert. I was already using Lotus 123 with HAL add-on long before Excel existed.

Columns A-H are self explanatory. However column I seems to be exactly the same odometer reading as col C but with a difference of 18,939 km. Col J is also self explanatory ie total amount in litres pumped. Columns K and L don’t make much sense to me without knowing your heading but it could be the cumulative litres/100 km and price per litre over the total ownership of your vehicle.

One important metric you have omitted (arguably the most important one ) is fuel cost per km. you seem to be averaging around Thb 2.6 per km. No wonder guys like @ExpatOilWorker loves (deleted) like you.

• Haha 2