Thai Pass Covid Insurance

I will travel to Thailand in June for 28 days and know I need at least $10,000 Covid cover.

I asked in uk travel agent today and their annual policy for trips of no more than 31 days sounded good value and can use for other trips as valid for a year. I asked about Covid cover and was told Medical cover is up to £10 million and this includes covid cover. On asking if the covid cover was for at least $10,000 equiv. the reply was its included in Medical cover and so is up to the £10 million....certainly more than enough but does this sound right as most (all) travel insurance has a very high Medical cover and if that includes covid then surely the standard travel policy so long as covid is included are ALL fine as a matter of course! I'd assumed with all the drama on this topic that covid insurance was an add on and certainly wasn't part of the bog standard travel insurance Medical Cover element that, so long as includes Covid cover, goes way beyond the minimum $10k requirement? I.e £10 mill!!

So, if I check that the Medical Cover on my travel insurance includes covid cover then as limit will be multiples of $10k equiv. (£10M) thats job done for the Thai Pass from 1/5/22 as do ALL travel insurance policies that include Covid in Medical Cover??

Edited by twix38
Update info

As long as the policy covers you while you are traveling to Thailand, and the coverage surpasses the $10,000 USD requirement then it does meet the requirements to enter Thailand.

Just be aware that the Thailand Pass application does not fair well with multi-page documents, and you may need to ask the insurer to provide a single letter confirming coverage. Or attempt to combine multiple documents into one page.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Just be aware that the Thailand Pass application does not fair well with multi-page documents, and you may need to ask the insurer to provide a single letter confirming coverage. Or attempt to combine multiple documents into one page.

Not to mention that said letter or documents, which will almost certainly have been provided in PDF format, will, as things stand, need to be converted to JPEG's for Thailand Visa application purposes - a far from straightforward task for anyone who isn't a whizzo IT geek.

One would earnestly hope that, as part of the modifications which are currently been made to the Thailand Pass application process following the scrapping of Test & Go, it may, in future, be possible to upload supporting docs in PDF format. But I'm not holding my breath that this will be the case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not to mention that said letter or documents, which will almost certainly have been provided in PDF format, will, as things stand, need to be converted to JPEG's for Thailand Visa application purposes - a far from straightforward task for anyone who isn't a whizzo IT geek.

One would earnestly hope that, as part of the modifications which are currently been made to the Thailand Pass application process following the scrapping of Test & Go, it may, in future, be possible to upload supporting docs in PDF format. But I'm not holding my breath that this will be the case.

Yes, it will need to be a JPG image if you wish to attach all under the insurance section. 

Otherwise you would need to attach it under the "additional" files section which does support PDF but we advise against that as it may slow down the approval process.

14 hours ago, twix38 said:

asked in uk travel agent today and their annual policy for trips of no more than 31 days sounded good value and can use for other trips as valid for a year. I asked about Covid cover and was told Medical cover is up to £10 million and this includes covid cover.

The important point is that COVID cover MUST be explicit not just included. It is quite likely that unless you can get a letter that specifically shows the cover for COVID that you may find there could is a problem.

Some people have found that though the insurance implicitly covered COVID to a much higher degree of cover than is required they still needed to get another policy that explicitly covered the minimum COVID cover.

Your travel agents are not qualified to say that the policy will be accepted unless they have had a customer with that insurance accepted for a Thailand Pass.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

.....Some people have found that though the insurance implicitly covered COVID to a much higher degree of cover than is required they still needed to get another policy that explicitly covered the minimum COVID cover.

Rather than another policy, the insurance companies understand that some countries required an explicit reference to covid coverage and will often quickly provide a side letter that says exactly that (people have used that under the prior Certificate of Entry and there's no reason to believe that it won't be accepted now).

21 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I am on an "O" extension of stay, and have an annual insurance policy.  I asked the company (LMG), by email, and received an almost immediate response as attached.  I guess the insurance companies are getting a lot of enquiries !

LMG response.pdf 123.25 kB · 4 downloads

It is not at all surprising that a Thai insurance company will have that letter, it is to be expected.

That some foreign insurance companies either don’t have that or make it less than simple to get is another matter.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Rather than another policy, the insurance companies understand that some countries required an explicit reference to covid coverage and will often quickly provide a side letter that says exactly that (people have used that under the prior Certificate of Entry and there's no reason to believe that it won't be accepted now).

That was rather the same as I said, isn’t it?

Though with the warning that certainly some companies don’t or won’t state explicitly in writing the covid cover, hence the need for some people to spend 650 Baht to get a Thai policy that explicitly covers covid.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

46 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

Just one question when im scannen all documents passport copy, visa Status,  covid insurance certificate, flight details for the thai pass after the 1 rst may would i face an upload Problem ?

Wbr

Roobaa01

Yes, you can’t do it until April 29th at the earliest.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I booked travel insurance with Coverwise yesterday.  I have no certificate directly referencing cover for Covid 19.  The email confirmation does but doesnt say how much but some of the documents attached (Policy wording and Product information) mention how much my medical expenses cover which is £20m.  DO you think its best to cancel this one and just get cover with a "recommended" Thai insurance.

13 hours ago, gjta12 said:

I booked travel insurance with Coverwise yesterday.  I have no certificate directly referencing cover for Covid 19.  The email confirmation does but doesnt say how much but some of the documents attached (Policy wording and Product information) mention how much my medical expenses cover which is £20m.  DO you think its best to cancel this one and just get cover with a "recommended" Thai insurance.

As I mentioned above it is quite possible that you may have problems using that policy to satisfy the requirements for a Thailand Pass. & as I said the cheapest Thai insurance that will be OK costs ฿650 = $19 = £15

The insurance you have may be better if you need to claim. The Thai insurance is almost certainly better if all you want is insurance that will be accepted for the Thailand Pass.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, OJAS said:

Is that confirmed ? 

Would be stupid to not accept pdf, insurance for example sent a pdf.

EDIT : actually very easy to convert on a mac. No problem.

Edited by Sambotte