Baht drops against dollar to 5-year low, poised to drop further

webfact

38 minutes ago, Onerak said:

It has been rising for almost decades and made a million people 401K/real asset millionaire last year alone. It has to take a break and resume its gain again maybe by next year if no recession hits or within another three years if a  recession hits. 

Although the current S&P price is actually lower now than what it was one year ago .

Previously on this forum some posters were claiming that the S&P guarantees you at least a 6 % per year interest gains .

Lucky that I didnt invest, otherwise I would have lost money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

hey I made my large yearly transfer a couple of months ago, it was dropping pretty fast so I didn't want to take a chance and wait, only got 32.12, if I did they same transfer today it would be over 30,000 baht more, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all - 555

Laughed at the last line—perfect.  Sorry you missed the party this week.  Better luck next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I still think it is hillaryous THAT UNCLE JOE  and Aosee give  money to people t hat live outside the country.

Might also be a bit jealous as Petit Pierre has not done the same for me.  LOL

You must have been rolling in the aisles when Trump's tax cut for the rich and corporations happened: 1/4 of that went abroad.

5 hours ago, Onerak said:

S&P is falling because of FED rate hike (which leads to higher dollar value) and FED control of money and investors are drumming up the fear of a US recession. A good time to buy as much BAHT as possible. 

If this puppy hits 35, I might have to bring over another pile of cash....whether I need it or not.  Finally some good news from the USA!

• Like 1

So before

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The Bulletproof Baht may be down, but it is never OUT. It's the Superman of currencies. 

Is the Baht actually down ? or is that the $US is stronger, its over a 10 high against the Yen.... The Baht seems to be just as steady on the other currencies..

• Like 2

17 hours ago, saakura said:

General elections are due in less than 12 months, so huge loads of cash stashed abroad will need to be brought back and converted to Baht for buying votes, so we can expect this to drop a bit more and be at that level for a while.

Or the election means losers will be investigated by the winning party so time to ship out shedloads of baht before corruption charges are raised.

20 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Silly question but is it a good time to transfer money into thailand

If you're transferring 268 USD like another poster, does it really make a difference.? 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Silly question but is it a good time to transfer money into thailand

Duh!

See my earlier post in this thread.

When I came here in late 2016, it was over 35. A year later I decided to stay and have waiting for a weak baht ever since.

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Although the current S&P price is actually lower now than what it was one year ago .

Previously on this forum some posters were claiming that the S&P guarantees you at least a 6 % per year interest gains .

Lucky that I didnt invest, otherwise I would have lost money

Pretty easy to pat yourself on the back when you get to choose the dates. Should someone consider themselves lucky if they decided not to make that S&P investment 10 years ago?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Over a 10-year period, you would not have lost money. Yes, if you had invested last year only, this your your total would have been down. 

1 minute ago, Onerak said:

Over a 10-year period, you would not have lost money. Yes, if you had invested last year only, this your your total would have been down. 

Yes, but I was just pointing out that the S&P 500 isn't a guaranteed 6% interest investment return , as some people on this forum previously claimed .

9 hours ago, Berkshire said:

If this puppy hits 35, I might have to bring over another pile of cash....whether I need it or not.  Finally some good news from the USA!

I think I would also do so. I need cash when my daughter goes to University in a few years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but I was just pointing out that the S&P 500 isn't a guaranteed 6% interest investment return , as some people on this forum previously claimed .

It's not guaranteed every year. who ever claimed that not a savvy investor.

Edited by Onerak

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So before

Is the Baht actually down ? or is that the $US is stronger, its over a 10 high against the Yen.... The Baht seems to be just as steady on the other currencies..

It's down against USD...the measuring stick...but your point is well taken. USD is strengthening and up against most other currencies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So before

Excellent point. Compared to a month ago, the baht is actually up against the Euro, the Yuan, and the Yen.

• Like 1