Disposing of electronics.

JimmyJ

In places I have lived previously, Electronics waste (batteries, etc.) are supposed to be disposed of separately from other garbage.

Is there any way to do this in CM - or in Thailand in general - or does one  just throw it away with everything else?

Edited by JimmyJ

I think most just throw it in the regular trash, but I've seen battery trash cans (actually cardboard boxes) in places like Big C, so they exist.

If your local Big C, Tesco or whatever has one though....

I do of course not know what Big C does with these batteries then, I wouldn't rule out that they just dump it in the regular trash.

• Like 1

Still 3rd world handling of waste streams here…batteries are part of a hazardous waste stream and should/would be separated at the point of entry…

Lack of proper waste management is frustrating and sad…the intel exists on how to do but the Will here does not….

start with a properly designed landfill including an adjacent major recycling center with appropriate charges/fees/penalties/incentives  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/26/2022 at 4:35 PM, JimmyJ said:

Is there any way to do this in CM - or in Thailand in general - or does one  just throw it away with everything else?

Is asking your local Amphur too much?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bbko said:

Is asking your local Amphur too much?

Problem is often that local amphur likely don't speak English. Unless the op (or partner if available) speaks Thai then can be difficult. Even then there may not be any system in place for electrical waste disposal. Often if there is any value attached, there will be some recycling of sorts. Still not easy though. 

• Like 1

The PEA in Nong Hoi  used to have a hazardous waste point, but I've not used it since they renovated the building as there are two within about five minutes of our house.  Local Amphurs do seem to provide them and I see the one I visit most is well used and emptied regularly.  

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I have pile of old mobiles, computer mice, keyboards, 2 dead laptops etc that I have been replacing over the years, but I just keep adding to the pile.

I had hoped that this thread would have been of some help, but it seems not unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I hear the 1980's calling.

I will send them the fax after I finish hanging a disco revolving light in the living room.

It is possible to send a fax even in todays modern world. I send perhaps one per year through my desktop but I cannot receive faxes. There is a program or several on the internet but faxing is really a dying art nowadays.

Especially with email, Line, Twitter, Messenger etc so easily available.

On 4/28/2022 at 7:35 PM, billd766 said:

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I have pile of old mobiles, computer mice, keyboards, 2 dead laptops etc that I have been replacing over the years, but I just keep adding to the pile.

I had hoped that this thread would have been of some help, but it seems not unfortunately.

Electronics is easy, they can be sold, so just put it out and make sure people see it's electronics, somebody will take it away to sell it and make a few baht.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, Dante99 said:

The AIS stores recycle batteries and other e-waste, in Chiang Mai and throughout Thailand. Locations found on the AIS E-waste Thailand website.  Seems like just about every AIS shop is a drop off place, in most shopping malls.

Great suggestion - Went to the one in Maya Mall.

There is a cardboard stand in the back of the store where one drops them in.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

(Also went to the basement - first time in a Rimping Market which I liked - will visit again. Organic as well as Pesticide Free produce available.

Also checked out a Coffeeshop/Work Space on the top floor).

Edited by JimmyJ