Safety/cleanliness of Water machines/ Reusing plastic bottles.

JimmyJ

Very recently I started using a drinking water dispenser machine for refilling water bottles.

However, I'm feeling like no longer doing that, and buying filled water bottles in stores again - increasing plastic waste.

I question how well maintained/clean the dispenser is.

People could accidentally touch the spout - it's fairly easy to do if one is not careful.

This was also the first time I've reused single use drinking water bottles as sold in convenience stores.

There is controversy over the possibility of leaching chemicals from the plastic into the water, as well as the possibility of bacterial growth in the reused bottles.

Another solution would be purchasing reusable stainless steel or glass water bottles.

But that would involve filling them from a water refill machine.

Still deciding how to resolve this.

Edited by JimmyJ

It may have changed now, I hope so but a while back they found that 75% of the machines were not cleaned, the water dispensing system I am referring to. Many are regularly maintained but there is no way for the customer to know if the one they are using has clean pipes that dispense the water or not. I would stick to the bottled water just to be on the safe side

• Like 1

Bring a small cloth damp with water and bleach, wipe the spigot.  

Me personally, I get water delivered to my home every few weeks.  I've been to the place/factory where my water comes from, looks like a good set up for me, 5 years and never a water related illness.

Pattaya water tech.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

A friend of mine has a machine and she is very conscientious, does the proper scheduled servicing to the filter. Jomtien, Theprasit 17 in front of the ThonBura hotel.

I would guess a significant percentage don't.

No such place on googlemaps

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Otherwise, consider having your water delivered to you in large bottles as others have mentioned.

I have used them in the past .........until i looked into one of them and saw squirmy things

on the bottom.

Then again what is ideal?

I reuse my own Singha 5 litre water bottles.   8 boxes by 4 bottles.
A friend who has his own water purifying plant collects the empties and returns them refilled to my door as and when required.   Cost 1baht per litre.   

I used to work in farming visiting many every month.   The farms used the large 30 / 50 litre ( ? ) bottles.    On a number of occasions all farm staff fell ill making it impossible to operate the farm properly.

Where I live now I have found nematodes in house tap water and also a couple of times at a hotel.
Once had some kind of green soft algae in the water after local supply had been cut off for repairs.

• Sad 1

As one person mentioned, Hubby and I personally know the owner of the machine we use and she takes very good care of it.  Many people in our condo use it.  We change replace our plastic bottles every couple months and store them in a dark room or dark kitchen drawer after filling to try to reduce plastic leaching into the water.  

Before the owner of the mini-mart in our condo bought her water machine, we were somewhat concerned about the machine across the soi that we used.  Didn't know if it was properly maintained.

• Like 1