Latest experience at CW with retirement visa extension

The annual trip to immigration is a pain, but I get to enjoy the other 364 days each year here so can't really complain. I just don't like to get caught out and be unprepared with any documents. Thanks to the advise I've received here, I can feel confident that I'm as prepared as possible this year.

18 hours ago, Scooby Snacks said:

The annual trip to immigration is a pain, but I get to enjoy the other 364 days each year here so can't really complain. I just don't like to get caught out and be unprepared with any documents. Thanks to the advise I've received here, I can feel confident that I'm as prepared as possible this year.

Let us know how you get on.

Trip reports are one of the most valuable subjects here.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Absolutely will report back to the board here regarding my experience at CW next week!

What would be very helpful is you test the waters....

For example ..from your OP you state....

"Specifically, I would like to know if they have been requiring the full 12 month bank statement which I was told must be ordered in advance from the head branch office"

If you can be bothered try just providing the photocopies of bank book rather than bank statements.

Also dont just slide over 90 report receipt and TM30.

Even some experienced posters provide extension reviews and state with authority that this and that was required and in reality it was just accepted rather than essential. 

I've always been asked for the bank statement and account letter, in addition to the bank book, each and every year. However, I used to provide a 6-month statement from the bank which I would obtain on the same day as my trip to immigration. Last year they demanded a 12-month statement which I was unable to obtain without ordering it in advance. They accepted 6 months but this year I decided to just order the 12-month statement to avoid further hassles.

Items like lease agreement, TM30, 90-day report, etc. I do bring in with me but do not show unless I'm asked. I will report back what happens next week. 

On 5/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, samtam said:

Yes, money in bank, savings passbook, needs to be supported by bank statement for preceding 12 months prior to extension of stay, as I experienced last week at CW*. I use a dedicated savings passbook account with THB800K all year round. Only transactions are interest accrual. *I provide this because my agent tells me it's a requirement, so I assume he knows. If you have a different experience, whereby you do not require bank statements for money in the bank, then it's good to know, but as in "recollections may differ", "experiences may differ". My bank confirmed that they issue the bank statements all the time because it's an IMM requirement, another fee, on top of the bank letter fee.

I just get what the agent asks me, and the 20 minutes at CW is well worth his fee.

No, he does not know. I have never provided a 12 month bank statement and I do not have a dedicated passbook just for the extension either. I just hand in a copy of my passbook for an account that is used for daily expenses (I do not have many transactions though, this is where many people fall foul as transactions are may then be lumped).

Which bank says that the 12 month statement is an IMM requirement, my bank (SCB) has never heard of this. Indeed, maybe it just a trick to get some extra money out of you. And regarding the 'expertise; of some agents, there is for instance one well known agency that claims you need to get an ATK before visiting CW which is rubbish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

No, he does not know. I have never provided a 12 month bank statement and I do not have a dedicated passbook just for the extension either. I just hand in a copy of my passbook for an account that is used for daily expenses (I do not have many transactions though, this is where many people fall foul as transactions are may then be lumped).

Which bank says that the 12 month statement is an IMM requirement, my bank (SCB) has never heard of this. Indeed, maybe it just a trick to get some extra money out of you. And regarding the 'expertise; of some agents, there is for instance one well known agency that claims you need to get an ATK before visiting CW which is rubbish.

The Banks do not tell you that a 12 mths Bank Statement, the IO does. At Jomtien, the  Retirement extension requires a 12 month Bank Statement, plus your Passbook, plus copy of front page---this is their rules and you abide by them or extension not granted. Also must sign all pages.

This year will be interesting because I've just received a new passport and changed to a new bank book for the new passport. Also the bank book for the old passport had run out of space so I had to get an new bank book for that also. It means I will go there with two passports and three bank books this time! I expect to have to make many additional copies of stuff downstairs this time!

17 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

This year will be interesting because I've just received a new passport and changed to a new bank book for the new passport. Also the bank book for the old passport had run out of space so I had to get an new bank book for that also. It means I will go there with two passports and three bank books this time! I expect to have to make many additional copies of stuff downstairs this time!

You will need to have Stamps and visa info transfered first, prior to extension. 

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

The Banks do not tell you that a 12 mths Bank Statement, the IO does. At Jomtien, the  Retirement extension requires a 12 month Bank Statement, plus your Passbook, plus copy of front page---this is their rules and you abide by them or extension not granted. Also must sign all pages.

The OP heading is CW.

Jomtien is irrelevant. 

My appointment is for 8:30 so I think that is the time they open? Anyway I am aware about the need to transfer the stamps. Any ideas on copies needed for that part? I was told by an IO at my last 90 day report done in person that both new passport preparation and extension of stay could be done on the same day. I didn't see an appointment option for changing stamps, only the extension of stay. Hopefully can be processed at the same time.

1 minute ago, Scooby Snacks said:

My appointment is for 8:30 so I think that is the time they open? Anyway I am aware about the need to transfer the stamps. Any ideas on copies needed for that part? I was told by an IO at my last 90 day report done in person that both new passport preparation and extension of stay could be done on the same day. I didn't see an appointment option for changing stamps, only the extension of stay. Hopefully can be processed at the same time.

You appointment is 8.30am. 

How do you plan to obtain bank letter and make deposit into account to show activity on day of application? 

not sure what is meant by "deposit into account". In past years they have asked me to withdraw money at the ATM and update the bank book accordingly. If that's the case with the 12-month statement I will go downstairs and do that and then make updated copy of the bank book.

Just now, Scooby Snacks said:

I'm picking up the bank statement and letter tomorrow at my local branch and will go in later in the week. If they need me to do anything else I will go to the bank downstairs.

Did you even consider say appointment 10.30am allowing time to attend bank.

CW can be fussy with update on day of application and also showing activity in bank book day of application. 

BTW take along hard copy of confirmation email.

Not sure of current policy however previously the print out was required. Screenshot not cut it.

Any photocopies etc can be obtained lower level with banks at print stall. 

Dr. Jack my experience has been that once you are in the queue then they give you a few minutes to chase down any unfinished items like making copies. One year I had the bank statement but forgot the account letter so I had to go down and get that. You know the setup is that one officer checks all documents and points out any missing items and yanks your chain a bit to get a rise out of you. Then you come back10 minutes later with whatever they asked you to do and your passport goes to a senior officer who double checks and then either signs it herself or it goes to another senior officer who signs it. There wasn't a 10:30 appointment available on the next day they are open (lots of holidays) so I figure better to go early and should have it all sorted and be out of there before lunchtime. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get back....

4 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Dr. Jack my experience has been that once you are in the queue then they give you a few minutes to chase down any unfinished items like making copies. One year I had the bank statement but forgot the account letter so I had to go down and get that. You know the setup is that one officer checks all documents and points out any missing items and yanks your chain a bit to get a rise out of you. Then you come back10 minutes later with whatever they asked you to do and your passport goes to a senior officer who double checks and then either signs it herself or it goes to another senior officer who signs it. There wasn't a 10:30 appointment available on the next day they are open (lots of holidays) so I figure better to go early and should have it all sorted and be out of there before lunchtime. I'll let you know how it turns out when I get back....

Most of that is true....

With appointment you can avoid the doc check.

Just go straight to desk #.

Think it's L32.

Will be on your appointment confirmation.

Yes they will allow you to run downstairs if something is amiss.

The added issue is often huge que at opening time.

Good luck. 

Trip report update: Just back from immigration. Arrived just after 8 am with 8:30 appointment booked. At the entrance I filled out a covid questionnaire before document check and metal detector. Received pre-queue number and went into the main area after 8:15. There were just over 100 people there already (this is the quietest I've ever seen CW immigration.)

I had already filled out the paperwork for the stamp transfer and extension of retirement visa, making as many copies as I thought I would need. Checked with the front desk and was told stamp transfer and extension could all be done at L-32, so I headed there.

First in line with online appointment. Presented new passport, 12-month bank statement, bank books, applications and all signed copies. The IO made some folds in my old passport and I had my misses go down and make the copies and update the bank book as requested. 

I filled out and signed 3 or 4 additional documents, more signatures on the last copies. My misses had forgotten to copy updated bank book. The IO was very courteous, efficient and friendly. She made the copies on her copier instead of having us go back down to the lower level again. 

I think it's the best visit to CW immigration I've ever had. The entire process took just over one hour and we had time for a quick breakfast downstairs before heading back home. A real "Teddy Bear Picnic" indeed!

• Thanks 1