Phuket City Hall receives electric scooters to use for security work, social media critics point out “ban” on scooters in public

webfact

12 minutes ago, Moonlover said:
5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Do as I say not as I do!!

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:
7 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Ok , if you say so......I dont have a horse in the race....

I don't say so, they do:

'These two scooters are set to be used only in the city hall area only. They will not be driven outside of the city hall area or public streets so does not violate any “ban” for public streets.” Kanathip stated'.

If they're being used on government land not the public sidewalk then maybe they aint' in violation of the recently legislation? Such visible surveillance has a well known deterrent for a lot of forms of crime).

I saw those large two wheeled things with handlebars and you lean forwards or backwards to go and stop them (what do you call them?) I think it was in C. De Gaulle, and Rome airport's in the last decade and I thought what a great way to police such large spaces (I felt more secure seeing the gendarmerie moving silently about on them). 

As for being on the streets I see them as a danger to pedestrians and an added risk for the riders with vehicles. I get that they are a cheap, energy efficient alternative to get from A to B, but safety wise seem an added risk.

28 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If they're being used on government land not the public sidewalk then maybe they aint' in violation of the recently legislation? Such visible surveillance has a well known deterrent for a lot of forms of crime).

I saw those large two wheeled things with handlebars and you lean forwards or backwards to go and stop them (what do you call them?) I think it was in C. De Gaulle, and Rome airport's in the last decade and I thought what a great way to police such large spaces (I felt more secure seeing the gendarmerie moving silently about on them). 

As for being on the streets I see them as a danger to pedestrians and an added risk for the riders with vehicles. I get that they are a cheap, energy efficient alternative to get from A to B, but safety wise seem an added risk.

segway

4 hours ago, bluejets said:

Let's see....small wheels, no helmet, no licence required........... basically a death trap waiting to happen at any turn.

Ban the things worldwide in my opinion.

Ban private automobiles and full size motorcycles instead.  They already account for millions of deaths per year from their speed and weight and idiotic drivers world wide

You dont die from an accident at 20KPH on an EV scooter. 

Not a death trap like 2 tons of steel on 4 wheels flying down the road at 120KPH

Edited by Skallywag
  • Sad 1

Inside the compound, quieter & no pollution.

But the overall concept in Thailand is flawed & will be for some time.

87% of electric energy is produced by lignite,  coal, oil or gas in this country so along with up to 

6% transfer loss electric vehicle transport is simply

moving pollution from A to B & using fossil fuels