Suicide Rises among Young People

webfact

screenshot_17638.jpg

BANGKOK, April 29 (TNA) – Suicide and self-harm among teenagers and young workers are four times as much as those among general people at working age.

The fact was shared in a meeting of the National Mental Health Commission chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The National Suicide Prevention Center reported the suicidal situation that occurred from 2017 to 2021. According to the center, suicide happened to 439 youths aged 15-24 years in 2021, up from 428 in 2020. It took the lives of 956 people aged 25- 34 years (young workers) in 2021, up from 896 in 2020.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-933098

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-04-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Unsurprising given the mess this government has caused. They give the youth more than any group little hope. 

The government is not to blame for all wrongs in Thailand.

Sorry but the people need to change to, not just government.

Come back in a 50 years and it will be, same same but same.

Thailand change your ways.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

20 hours ago, Orinoco said:

The government is not to blame for all wrongs in Thailand.

No but the policies of the last couple years especially has pushed people to the brink and rising suicide rates points to this. Anyone who says they’ve done a stirling job has an agenda.   

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

No but the policies of the last couple years especially has pushed people to the brink and rising suicide rates points to this. Anyone who says they’ve done a stirling job has an agenda.   

Now look here.

No one is saying the government has done a sterling job.

But Thai people don't learn,  and the younger generation even less.

They all run debts up with no care, and no way to pay the debts off.

sure some have lost there jobs and times are hard for some.

But i'm afraid most Thai people only care about themselves and the pursuit of money with a big helping of greed together in the mix.

But that said , the lucky ones that have 50% western parents grow up to be far better citizens. i wonder why.

As for the students that are in jail or the ones that were protesting against the government. i will say this.

If they were all in power tomorrow.

How long would it be before that all started to get family and friends jobs,

start to take back hand-ers, start to give land concessions to family and friends, i reckon with in 2 years they would be same same.

Sorry Thai people need to change not just the government.

Enough said.

Breakfast beer time.

Bye .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RafPinto said:

What are you talking about?

It starts all with proper education.
Kids want to be educated but what does the government do?
Keep them uneducated because uneducated ones are easier to control and to intimidate.

I bet there are not uneducated people among the students who will eventually be protesting in Bangkok again. No wonder the unelected PM and his soldiers are afraid to open up the country.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

There are one or two posters like that.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:15 AM, spidermike007 said:

Not surprising at all. This is not Prayuth's version of bringing happiness to the people. 

I have never seen the level of discontent, hopelessness, and sorrow, as I see now in Thailand. Alot of despondency, from some of the happiest people I knew, at one time. Suicides are skyrocketing, like never before. You won't see proof of that anywhere. I have a paramedic friend in Bangkok, and she shows up to homes, where the entire family has taken themselves out. They leave a note saying their situation is hopeless. They can't earn a living, due to a decimated economy. The group of paramedics just sit down and weep.

This is entirely on Prayuth, Anutin and their band of thieves, their failed policies and a failed administration. The army leadership is the last thing in the world this nation needs, at this time.

They need hope, not hopelessness and staggering incompetency, spectacular levels of cronyism and corruption, with alot of rich men working the franchise. 

Much of the blame and finger pointing could easily be defined by those at the very top of the Plutocratical cast.

But usually ignored or not spoken of because of hard wired romantic tradition - the crux that ails us all.

The mirrored signs are a long and historic institutional reflection of a deep divided class system. 

The commons will never receive any such fair compensation and balance as long as the masses allow this aristocracy to flourish and continue on their in one form or another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 4:06 PM, RafPinto said:

Kids want to be educated but what does the government do?

Some do.  Others are completely at home in the fake education system where all they do is copy the work of other kids and resent being given actual work to do or having their copying and cheating pointed out.

While some young people have demanded that the Thai education system is improved, I would wager that some of them only want the value of a Thai education to improve without actually having to do any extra work.

I'm not saying that none want to see an improvement, but there are a lot who coast, knowing that they cannot fail, and they would not be in favour of an "improvement" as it would mean they have to do the work or take the fail.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orinoco said:

But Thai people don't learn,  and the younger generation even less.

They all run debts up with no care, and no way to pay the debts off.

sure some have lost there jobs and times are hard for some.

But i'm afraid most Thai people only care about themselves and the pursuit of money with a big helping of greed together in the mix.

It's a kind of "chicken and the egg" thing, as they need to have access to proper education to understand the value of proper education.

A lot of young people are institutionalised by the Thai education system.  It might be too late for some teens already.  It might need to be a grass roots thing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott said:

Suicide among young people is complex with a lot of factors at play.  As a generalization, young people struggle to figure out there place in society.  When the social order is upset that struggle becomes much more difficult.  For many young people it's already a struggle to figure out how to achieve their goals of a good job, a family, a home, a car.  Many youth fall by the wayside because they can't fit into the norm.  A good example of that is the high rate of suicide in the LGBTQ community.  

For most youth, the current time is unsettling.  They face a future with Covid.  We will learn to live with Covid, but it is scary to think of going through your whole life facing disease on a daily basis.  Some young people have lost family members, others have been impacted economically by parents with lost jobs.   The world economies are in shambles and for young people dreaming about the future, it looks bleak.   Economies will recover, but for young people they tend to be short-sighted. 

When you are at an age when your mental state is rather fragile and you tend to view the glass as 1/2 empty, all the problems start to look insurmountable and that could be the tipping point.  

True words.

I would add: I would not like to be a girl here, coming from a poorer family.
The burden you have to take care of family, send money, sponsor car etc.
She probably lives in a small room, works hard but never can achieve anything.
All she earns goes towards living expenses and family.
Must be horrible to see, that end of the month, a lot of month left and too worry all the time.
No money to set aside for your "own" family.

Emergency exit in many cases: arrange a farang who frees you from all worries. At least many think like that because a friend of a friend was lucky to find a wealthy sponsor. (so they say).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/29/2022 at 12:30 PM, daveAustin said:

Unsurprising given the mess this government has caused. They give the youth more than any group little hope. 

Yet I hear no similar outrage as there was against Yingluck when a dozen or so farmers allegedly topped themselves due to the rice pledging scheme.

7 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Emergency exit in many cases: arrange a farang who frees you from all worries. At least many think like that because a friend of a friend was lucky to find a wealthy sponsor. (so they say).

And the rest of the story goes like this.

She hooks a Falang, gets the relationship well and truly established.

2 or 3 years down the road, she then drops the bombshell,

I have a debt of 2 million baht, and can't pay it,  sorrley. mister.

This happened to a mate 2 years ago. fortunately he had the balls to dump her. for the total dishonesty in the first place.

Why did she think it was ok to try and ruin some falangs life.

Buyer beware TIT.

Edited by Orinoco