Thai Bank accounts being cancelled while overseas

57 minutes ago, Longreach said:

u can get a thai phone thru zamarda.com. it is a virtual number.

i just got an oz one for OTP. i was not paying attention and my oz mobile number was

diconnected. very good service from zamarda and works great.

cost : 6usd for setup. 6 usd / month. i am very happy with this service.

need to pay for 3 months to get SMS (OTP).

of course, a problem if u have to go into branch in thailand to set number with bank.

Yes - This is a good solution for receiving sms Thai OTP - Just a quick correction on typo zadarma.com - For simplicity for others wanting this service follow.

https://zadarma.com/en/tariffs/numbers/thailand/mobile/

21 hours ago, spambot said:

Great question David. I ask this also and this is the Bank's reply: 

Referring to your question we would like to inform you that if you did not renew the debit card after the card has been expire normally there is no fees to charge. Furthermore, after the card has been expire and the account still active in this case you can prepare your passport and passbook contact any Kasikorn bank branch to issue a new card directly.

"and the account still active   " ????

that is the important question....?

Second danger point ...expiering date from your passport .....as i got invitation to come Kk branche to renuw passport while present in Thailand  ( they seem to keep track of that )  so no problem when in Thailand ....but problem if outside for a long time .

So keep those 2 danger points in mind when going for long time out of Thailand and try to make a new debit card ....might give you a longer valid time ....

22 hours ago, spambot said:

Thanks scubascuba3 - Just to provide some context: This the response from Kasikorn Bank ...

In the case that you are in an overseas, and you have another Thai mobile phone number,
you can prepare supporting documents as following;

A copy of the 1st page of your valid passport
 A copy of the latest page of passport which there are immigration stamps of arrival and departure
 A copy of last month invoice bill such as: electric bill, water bill, and telephone bill of your living country that showed your name and your overseas address.
 A copy of 1st page of your passbook
 Changing Profile Request Form (please see the attached file)

Good God, next they will want your first born as collateral to secure the account as well.....

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I use Kasikorn, and the mobile app doesn't need OTP, just thumbprint login and then a pin code 

Yup - Should have set this up before leaving - However now while the app will download when outside Thailand, but then apps need to see the same mobile number as registered on Kasikorn account for the initial install - get msg "for your first time set up, please disable your wifi connection in device settings and use cellular data to proceed". However you do introduce a new possibility once I can get number change and then later can get access to app / acct to switch funds when outside Thailand and then presumably wifi or other cell provider will work for the data connection.

15 minutes ago, david555 said:

"and the account still active   " ????

that is the important question....?

Second danger point ...expiering date from your passport .....as i got invitation to come Kk branche to renuw passport while present in Thailand  ( they seem to keep track of that )  so no problem when in Thailand ....but problem if outside for a long time .

So keep those 2 danger points in mind when going for long time out of Thailand and try to make a new debit card ....might give you a longer valid time ....

Yup another good point - My passport is OK for a few years more 2026 - The account is still active. I never thought the delay with Covid would be so long and hence now will make preparations when I get back for such future unintended consequences. I am probably going to deposit funds in from UK via wise FX app into both accounts and this at least keeps the account active for another year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spambot said:

Good call mvdf - I reviewed the app and the support required, unfortunately eSim is not supported on my Huawei P20 phone. However I do intend to buy a new phone when I arrive back in Thailand and will look for an eSim compatible phone - This option makes a lot of sense.

The P40 supports it. And almost all iPhones.

https://www.airalo.com/help/about-airalo/what-devices-support-esim

1 hour ago, spambot said:

Yup - Should have set this up before leaving - However now while the app will download when outside Thailand, but then apps need to see the same mobile number as registered on Kasikorn account for the initial install - get msg "for your first time set up, please disable your wifi connection in device settings and use cellular data to proceed". However you do introduce a new possibility once I can get number change and then later can get access to app / acct to switch funds when outside Thailand and then presumably wifi or other cell provider will work for the data connection.

that sucks then

13 hours ago, timendres said:

Why not just wire $100 into the account once a year?

A bit of a cost, but guaranteed to keep the account open.

Others might suggest using Wise, which might be cheaper.

Yes - Its what I intend to do

Edited by spambot