Recyclers to Stop Buying Improperly Extracted Metals

ac8270fb6aeadc5185e5045e2f0985ea_small.jpg

Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - More than one hundred recyclers in Thailand have vowed to stop purchasing metals extracted from burning electrical appliances. A new Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Pollution Control Department and the recyclers is expected to help ease air pollution in the kingdom.

The department and 118 recycling plants signed the MoU to stop the improper burning of electrical appliances and parts for the purpose of extracting valuable metals. The practice leads to air pollution, as it emits PM2.5 fine particulate matter.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

An example is the burning of small electrical wires found inside electronic waste at landfills to extract copper, which is then sold to recyclers.

The MoU calls for the recyclers to stop buying metal scraps in an attempt to discourage burning.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa said the memorandum will improve electronic waste management nationwide.

His ministry is also working on a draft electronic waste management bill, which will be proposed to the Cabinet soon.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The MoU calls for the recyclers to stop buying metal scraps in an attempt to discourage burning.

Yes, but  it seems to me the flaw in this plan is that landfill will now just increase a hundred fold with wire filled metal electrical devices  ! 

• Like 1

They burn the whole appliances? Or just the insulation off the copper wires?  Here there is a different price for clean wire and insulated.   I admit in the 60's my lineman father would take a big load to a nearby field to burn off the insulation.   One time a cop drove out to see what was up.  Not illegal then.  Not sure about now.  Burning of brush piles is still  allowed and done in some of the suburbs of Salt lake City, utah.   No reason they couldn't toss in some wire. It stinks real bad and I don't like it.   Many oeo6have outside fire pits.  And they aren't supposed to be used on bad air days but no real patrolling that I know of.   I use pinyon and cedar because it smells good. But it does send my purple air monitor over 300 real quick.  

47 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but  it seems to me the flaw in this plan is that landfill will now just increase a hundred fold with wire filled metal electrical devices  ! 

if only there was other methods to extract the copper wire than burning.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1