8 –year-old Ukrainian-Thai boy bitten by an unknown sea animal near Kamala Beach in Phuket, experts and officials dispute what the animal was

webfact

"While suspicions have fallen on a shark for the leg wound sustained by the 8-year-old, Thai-Ukrainian boy on Sunday at Phuket’s Kamala Beach, the boy believed that it was a barracuda. His wound required 33 stitches to close.

Local authorities suspected it was a shark based on the wound and teeth marks. It’s very likely that the boy was bitten by either a bull shark or blacktip shark"

don't know if link is allowed, think Harry Nilsson.  bought a 'COCONUT. bought it for a dime.  Google news

Authorities covering all bases, 

image.png.2edc8eff501f80e9bb722ea2dcd08b55.png

Edited by Jotnar

38 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

Of course I am guessing and I do not have as much experience diving as some others, but there are not many things in the sea which are openly very aggressive, so this is my best guess. It was reported elsewhere that "The boy’s wound needed 30+ stitches, after the attack left a long, deep cut in his right calf" which doesn't sound like a baby shark

Yeah...  I just saw that.

30+ stitches is not from a baby shark or a trigger fish....   Perhaps the French guy is right, a Blue Shark (full-size) or as others have pointed out.. Bull Shark.

not the most creditable source(UK mirror), but does have a blur photo of bite marks.

"Doctors initially thought he was bitten by a barracuda or sea pike, however it was later confirmed as the bite of a bull shark measuring around one metre long.

Napat told rescue workers that he had spotted the shark approaching in murky water, and that he retaliated by punching the shark after it bit him."

Edited by Jotnar
  • Like 1

as do local crocs.  remember one being spotted, 24Aug2017 at Bang Tao Beach area.

bull or black tip would be my guess, since one being notorious and the other (both really) quite plentiful in Thai water.

Edited by Jotnar

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah...  I just saw that.

30+ stitches is not from a baby shark or a trigger fish....   Perhaps the French guy is right, a Blue Shark (full-size) or as others have pointed out.. Bull Shark.

if full size anything, 3 ish meters, I don't think 30+ stitches would have help mending him back together.

I'm not an expert but the Blue Shark is large and as far as I know not seen here in Thailand. We get Blacktip Reef Sharks, some Whitetip Reef Sharks, some Leopard/Zebra Sharks, of course the majestic Whale Shark, the odd sightings of Tiger Sharks and acclaimed Bull sharks... but not BLUE Sharks!

Simply good 'sharks in Thailand' to see the results.

57 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

"Doctors initially thought he was bitten by a barracuda or sea pike, however it was later confirmed as the bite of a bull shark measuring around one metre long.

How long is a 8 year old's leg?