Shake Shack Plans 15 Restaurants In Thailand

webfact

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Did not think you would fall for it....Chic FilA is closed on Sundays so their employees can go to church.

Yes, I am from So California (land of most of the popular hamburger chains) and understand that. Big news all over actually.

Burger, fries and a drink will be at least $10.  Will this fly in Thailand?  I have tried Shake Shack in Los Angeles and it was good.  But I prefer Inn-N-Out anyway.  Being a Christian company or not is not a factor for me.  I also go to Chik-Fil-A as well.  A big Clue bout Chik is they are closed on Sundays.  Last time I ate at Chik  I had a chicken sandwich, fries and a drink and it was over $10.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Yes, I am from So California (land of most of the popular hamburger chains) and understand that. Big news all over actually.

Good meeting a fellow Southern Cali man.  I grew up around the corner from the Laurel Cyn Blvd. In N Out, went to Alemany HS.

15 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Burger, fries and a drink will be at least $10.  Will this fly in Thailand?  

Apparently, as the other chains are all priced around the 250-300 baht mark, if doing the 'combo'. At least the combo sort of gets you the drink for almost free.   They pack 'em in.   

Needing to order, separate items,  as on SS menu, is a bit OTT.  Shake is nice touch though, as most, or any, usually don't do them.

In the very rare occasion I do order a burger, it's only the burger.  Fries are silly priced, and usually just warm, and I don't care for their fountain soda.  I'll BYO, beer, water or A&W.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Just what I was thinking before I read your post. I'd prefer FIVE GUYS but I haven't eaten at the Shack and it sounds pretty good. As things stand, living in Pattaya, I don't really eat burgers. Won't go to the McDs or BK and don't really trust the "premium" local places. But I would try Shack although I see for now Bangkok only. 

Prime Burger is pricey but great. All the beef is Australian so seems "trustworthy" to me...

23 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Prime Burger is pricey but great. All the beef is Australian so seems "trustworthy" to me...

Being American I have very specific biases as to what makes a very good or gourmet burger and I'm not even close to a burger fanatic. The source of the meat is only one aspect of many. 

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good meeting a fellow Southern Cali man.  I grew up around the corner from the Laurel Cyn Blvd. In N Out, went to Alemany HS.

Westside of San Fernando Valley for me.

I probably know a lot of your friends as I have multiple friends from Alemany.

Carlś was not forced out by Covid it just never caught on here as most people had no idea what it was.

Good luck to SS it may be a place some Thais try one time.  But, the price level will be beyond what most want to spend for a meal and there is plenty of burger competition here for less. 

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Being American I have very specific biases as to what makes a very good or gourmet burger and I'm not even close to a burger fanatic. The source of the meat is only one aspect of many. 

To this American, Prime Burger makes a fantastic burger which is better than most I've had in the States.

12 hours ago, Jotnar said:

A Canadian burger chain, in Thailand ?  Never heard of it, that's not good.

In Central World. Didn't last long. Went belly up ages ago.

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Carlś was not forced out by Covid it just never caught on here as most people had no idea what it was.

Yeah, that was my conjecture. COVID certainly can't have been good for business?

The franchisee, R&R Restaurant Group said...

R&R Restaurant Group, which holds the rights to operate the burger chain, revealed they could no longer bear the cost to keep Carl’s Jr going. 

“We tried to get through it during the second half of 2021. But we were forced to import our ingredients solely from the U.S. due to the restrictions imposed by CKE Restaurants Holdings.” 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

To this American, Prime Burger makes a fantastic burger which is better than most I've had in the States.

At the prices they charge, it better be.   You get what you pay for, is sometimes appropriate.  When approaching 300 baht, it no longer becomes a value.  Something a burger used to be.

Best I've had here, was Sunrise Taco, but certainly wasn't inexpensive, but cheaper than some of the other silly prices.

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So they do smashed burgers.

Based on this to pull that off there are a lot of details to get right and easy to get it wrong.

Again, I am skeptical.

https://www.cookist.com/basic-techniques-what-the-smashed-burger-is-and-how-to-make-it-at-home/

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Chains I want to see here in addition to Five Guys Burgers:

Popeye's Louisiana Fried Chicken

Qdoba Burritos

El Pollo Loco Mexican Grilled Chicken

I get my fix of Popeyes when I fly down to Malaysia for business. 

Haven't tried those others though. 

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

In Central World. Didn't last long. Went belly up ages ago.

Triple O's was the name and they were the best burgers available in Bangkok for a short while, it was located next to the gourmet food market in Central World.

spacer.png

'smash burger' = marketing.  It's a ground beef patty, how it is formed is irrelevant.  If it's called a smash burger, I'm going elsewhere.  Call it what you want, but don't insult my intelligence.

"sir, would you like that 'hand' or 'spatula' smashed."

"we also have 'smashed' patties we made last week, but they're in the freezer"

BK & McD get smashed patties every day or so, delivered in boxes. ????

Edited by Jotnar

53 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

'smash burger' = marketing.  It's a ground beef patty, how it is formed is irrelevant.  If it's called a smash burger, I'm going elsewhere.  Call it what you want, but don't insult my intelligence.

"sir, would you like that 'hand' or 'spatula' smashed."

"we also have 'smashed' patties we made last week, but they're in the freezer"

BK & McD get smashed patties every day or so, delivered in boxes. ????

Its an actual thing but actually doing it right is another matter.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Its an actual thing but actually doing it right is another matter.

actually thing

it's a burger on a hot grill.  they all cook the same if all on a hot grill.  If wanting to smash it, thinner & wider, you get more charring surface, besides cooking faster.   I've never needed to 'smash' my ground beef to make a thinner, wider patty, though prefer not to overhand the roll.  easily done with you hands.  If cooking a 100 or so a day, guess easier to do on the grill.

actually prefer 2 thinner patties than one thicker, as allowing more charring.   What the whopper has over mcd offerings.  get the extra meat on your whopper, tastes nice and beefy with nice charring flavor.  I think 70 baht for extra patty and makes for a filling 225 baht burger, beating most, especially if toppings are done correctly.  damn near looks like the promo, and hard to beat when done right.  Only 3 vendors have done so..  

Rest are prepped in advance and staff seem to just though them in the bag with <deleted> toppings, damn sinful ????

Edited by Jotnar