New Passport

I recently got a new USA Passport and need to get stamps, etc, moved into it by Immigration .

Besides both passports (old and new), copies and letter from Embassy, what else is required by Immigration to complete this task ? Is there a form to complete ?

Thanks

Just been thru this process at Jomtien on Aus passport.

No forms to complete.

Aus Embassy does not give a letter but stamped old pp as "updated by XXX".

IO requested Embassy letter so I sent photo of Embassy receipt.

Stamps, TM6, etc must be transferred as 90 day could not be advised on the old cancelled pp.

Once stamps & papers transferred 90 days (when due) is ok.

Cost of 1,000 baht.

Had my agent take care of it all.

Most likely different at other IO's.

• Thanks 1

Years ago renewing Passport at US Embassy in Bangkok,  ask for letter when I went back two weeks picked it up letter given I took it to Jomtien gave them new and old told to comeback next day given both back all free. 

Since US Embassy I heard no longer can pick up instead it is mail back anyone experience not getting the letter back with PP? 

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need to complete this form. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

Some offices may want a copy of every page of your old passport that has a stamp or sticker for Thailand on it.

Almost identical to the proforma letter the UK Embassy have provided for me. Can't think I would have to do both? Is this just for CW?

I have provided copies of all stamped pages of old passport at every extension. As I will always have to carry both passports anyway isn't this excessive. Does this mean at the next extension I will be need to copy stamped pages from both passports?

Sorry I realise TIT!

25 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Almost identical to the proforma letter the UK Embassy have provided for me. Can't think I would have to do both? Is this just for CW?

It is required at the majority of immigration offices.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

The form linked by Ubonjoe is your application to Immigration. The Embassy letter is their verification that the blank passport you are presenting is the genuine article, and you didn't buy it on the KaoSan Road. Most Thai IOs wouldn't know one from the other.

6 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The form linked by Ubonjoe is your application to Immigration. The Embassy letter is their verification that the blank passport you are presenting is the genuine article, and you didn't buy it on the KaoSan Road. Most Thai IOs wouldn't know one from the other.

Don't know about other embassies, but the letter from the British embassy isn't verification of anything. It's just a request, to be filled in by the passport holder themselves, asking for the info to be transferred.

It doesn't even contain any information about you or your passport. It's blank, and you fill it in yourself.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Years ago renewing Passport at US Embassy in Bangkok,  ask for letter when I went back two weeks picked it up letter given I took it to Jomtien gave them new and old told to comeback next day given both back all free. 

Since US Embassy I heard no longer can pick up instead it is mail back anyone experience not getting the letter back with PP? 

My experience in December, the new passport was mailed back with the letter requesting Thai immigration assistance to do the transfer of stamps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Don't know about other embassies, but the letter from the British embassy isn't verification of anything

But without it, Immigration will turn you away. Having said that, I agree that it's hardly a secure document itself, because, as you say, the applicant has to fill it in himself. If you had a copy, you could produce other copies yourself, the embossing on the bottom corner is pretty feeble. I can't think of any reason why Immigration would require it except as assurance that the new passport has been officially issued. It's just a silly bit of bureaucracy really.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I can't think of any reason why Immigration would require it except as assurance that the new passport has been officially issued. It's just a silly bit of bureaucracy really.

I agree that it's a silly bit of bureaucracy.

Not least because it doesn't actually provide assurance that a new passport had been officially issued.

It only gives the information that the person submitting it, chooses to put on there and only the person who fills out the form is stipulating to any information or making any request.

The form itself doesn't provide proof of anything. It's just a vehicle for transmitting your request to transfer the visa information, to Thai Immigration.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

Regarding carry old PP after new one is issued. Only reason I will do this is when I travel soon is my 3 covid vaccinations were all done in Thailand and my proof of covid vax certificates, which I have in my smartphone, have my old PP number, so in case there's any hassle over different PP numbers I'll carry the old one too. Other than that no reason I can see.