Nissan almera Year 2019-2025 engine vibration????

Hello folks, this car i got 4000km on the clock, when i pop up the hood i can see the engine rattling like craaaazzzzzy.

i talked to the dealer and they say its normal....

i've compared with Honda, Toyota, but they dont dance like nissan. whats up nissan??? is that your low quality product again or any nissan owners can enlighten me?

im done with crappy nissan

The Almera uses the Renault H5Dt turbocharged three cylinder engine.  Three cylinder engines suffer particularly badly from torsional vibration because the reciprocating forces do not cancel, as is the case with engines that have an even number of cylinders.  The vibration is worse in the 250-500Hz range and  worse at lower rpm.  As rpm increases the difference in vibration between three and four cylinder engines decreases.

The Mitsubishi 3-cyl 3A91 engine and Honda 3-cyl P10A6 engines also suffer vibration at low RPM.  The vibration can be reduced by means of crankshaft counterweights and/or balance shafts, but with increased cost and weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The Almera uses the Renault H5Dt turbocharged three cylinder engine.  Three cylinder engines suffer particularly badly from torsional vibration because the reciprocating forces do not cancel, as is the case with engines that have an even number of cylinders.  The vibration is worse in the 250-500Hz range and  worse at lower rpm.  As rpm increases the difference in vibration between three and four cylinder engines decreases.

The Mitsubishi 3-cyl 3A91 engine and Honda 3-cyl P10A6 engines also suffer vibration at low RPM.  The vibration can be reduced by means of crankshaft counterweights and/or balance shafts, but with increased cost and weight.

oh cool, you seems very knowledgeable.

so is this the norm for 3 cylds? If so, will it have any effects such as fixation becoming loose or friction damages or rubber thingies being worn out quicker or others?

If thats the case, why do OEM keep making these 3 cylds???

are those new 1LTR turbos all 3 cylds? 

20 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

oh cool, you seems very knowledgeable.

so is this the norm for 3 cylds? If so, will it have any effects such as fixation becoming loose or friction damages or rubber thingies being worn out quicker or others?

If thats the case, why do OEM keep making these 3 cylds???

are those new 1LTR turbos all 3 cylds? 

The 1ltr new eco cars are all 3 cylinder.

• Like 1

Thanks for all. 

I've test driven other almers but them be dancing too. 

Changing engine mount might effect da 3 Yr warranty and I've YouTube it. But I'm not up for it. 

As googled 3 cyld vs 4 cyld enginines, seems its the new norm. Sluggish ding dong at low rpm, booty shakin, rattling sound as mice is stuck in da cambelt. Oh lord jesus

If you have only 4,000km on this vehicle, is it safe to assume it is reasonably new and still under warranty? If so, I would not be too worried. 

Just for peace of mind, why not ask the dealer to show you another one vibrating the same way? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Changing engine mount might effect da 3 Yr warranty and I've YouTube it. But I'm not up for it. 

No, effecting proper repairs on a car that needs repair does not affect warranty but why not get them changed under warranty if they're defective?   

• Like 1

To save bucks pop the beastie up on a hoist take a pry-bar and place between engine and mount and advance a little leverage on it - you'll be able to see if they're worn / loose.

Like rear suspension sway-bars bushes if the engine mounts/bushes are ok they shouldn't move at all.

Ask the dealer to open the hood of another ride and compare.

I would be very surprised that the engine mounts are the cause at a low  4000km.

3 pots do tend to be a bit shaky, but oddly, in my 3 pot Suzuki 

it's hardly noticeable, mind you, they have been at it for many a year...????

• Like 1

Unless the car has been involved in an accident then its unlikely to be faulty engine mounts on a nearly new car at 4k km.  If the level of vibration really is abnormally high for this engine then its more likely to be an engine fault such as a misfire due to bad coil or injector. That would throw up a Check Engine light though.

As I said above, three cylinder engines suffer high levels or torsional vibration and its particularly noticeable at low rpm. It should be much less noticable at high rpm. Thai-market cars are fitted with a high capacity A/C compressor and you'll find that loads the engine a lot and makes the vibration much worse at idle. See what happens when you turn off A/C.

Three cylinder 1-litre engines are popular because 330cc is the optimum cylinder capacity for thermodynamic efficiency. Also they are smaller, lighter and cheaper to make than a 4-cyl.   I'm not a particular fan of them though, in addition to their roughness I'm not convinced that the turbo'd versions hold up in the long term, especially in Thai heat. And without the turbo spinning there is no power there.  As far as Eco cars are concerned the current Toyota Yaris has a 4-cyl engine that can run in Atkinson cycle. Its a very smooth engine but less powerful than the Nissan because no turbo.

Edited by HauptmannUK

Your problem sounds very interesting to me and is one of the reasons I decided to buy a Nissan Teana with a 2.5 L V6. I cannot even tell the engine is running when I look under the bonnet. To me it seems like the problem with the three cylinder engine is one of balance. It is most likely not the motor mounts but the design configuration. 

engine shake.jpg

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Broadly speaking this article is accurate.  In terms of reliability the Toyota, Mitsubishi and Suzuki NON-TURBO triples fitted to cars like the Attrage, Celerio etc have proven amazingly reliable. The problem arises when you install these engines in cars like the Almera and City. Then you need to turbo the engine to get reasonable performance and that means imposing much higher loads on the base engine etc. And the underbonnet temperatures are much higher.

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

Broadly speaking this article is accurate.  In terms of reliability the Toyota, Mitsubishi and Suzuki NON-TURBO triples fitted to cars like the Attrage, Celerio etc have proven amazingly reliable. The problem arises when you install these engines in cars like the Almera and City. Then you need to turbo the engine to get reasonable performance and that means imposing much higher loads on the base engine etc. And the underbonnet temperatures are much higher.

I hear that the "MG" ZS is to lose its 1500cc 4 pot for a turbo'd 3 pot, I wonder if Mr.Morris would have taken that route....????

17 minutes ago, transam said:

I hear that the "MG" ZS is to lose its 1500cc 4 pot for a turbo'd 3 pot, I wonder if Mr.Morris would have taken that route....????

The industry trend is for anything that had a 1.4-1.6 NA inline-four to go to a turbo'd 1.0 three cylinder.

MG are basically 'GM China' and so the ZS will use the Opel-developed GM SGE 999cc three cylinder with a Mitsubishi single scroll turbocharger.  Its a reasonably smooth 3-cyl.  It uses a counter-rotating balance shaft run off the oil pump to reduce out-of-balance and also cast alloy sump and valve cover to stiffen the block.

Since 3-cylinder engine 'roughness' is not an unknown phenomenon, the manufacturers using these engines have probably developed mounts that are of the right consistency and integrity to handle it. They may also have additional mounts and other torsion-reducing fitments? If there is a shorter engine mount working life (no evidence to suggest there is), I would think that they are probably an item that's bulleted for more frequent inspection at services.

When I changed from the 2.2 liter 4-pot to the 3.2 liter 5-pot on the PX ranger, my wife commented on how it sounded rougher, with more 'clatter' than the former at lower revs. However, at highway speeds, no difference.

Edited by NanLaew

Nissan cars are ok, but the mangement are <deleted>. I don't get a chance to talk to the president of NMT.

If i do i think many of the staff will be fired as well as dealerships will be cancel. I got a case with nissan which i sue the dealer in the court. At the time my car is still under warranty but the dealer refuse to accept repairing my car.

So i contacted NMT, and was told by the call center to take my car to another dealer to chk it. And it was an order from the new GM of the nissan call center. That is why, i will never buy Nissan in future no matter how good their car is. I try to get in touch with the president but it was stop by his secretary and without calling me back. I even goes to the motorshows every year to see whether i can meet the president or not. But he is not there anyway.

This is really a more than <deleted> disgusting service by NMT. But i double thumbs up for Mitsubishi dealers as well as their MMT. They take customers complain very seriously. Not like <deleted> Nissan service.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

Hi villageidiotY2K

First lesson here is NEVER buy a NISSAN, they did make some very good engines but most don't last, also HUGE problems with Nissan CTV transmissions stay well clear of those unless it's a Super reliable Honda or Toyota,Mazda.

Go back to the dealer tell them your not happy.

Good luck !

Cheers aussie chris 

• Confused 1