Humanity: better or worse

On 5/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, BritManToo said:

1/2 don't care.

3. The media is now  totally controlled by the governments.

4. The world is now a lot worse  for white  men, in the west only women count.

Yes that sounds a sensible, informed balanced  view that would stand up to close analysis and unbiased fact checking.

Or just brilliant parody?

LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes that sounds a sensible, informed balanced  view that would stand up to close analysis and unbiased fact checking.

Or just brilliant parody?

LOL

The media is in bed with politicians. CNN is 100% Biden. Fox is 100% Trump.

Same in many countries.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd drink alcohol, smoke weed, and bang hookers ....... but more enthusiastically than I'm doing now age 66.

A crowing achievement worthy of respect  if not  adulation - did it require discipline,  practice,  effort, training? Or just a natural  born talent?

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think humanity is a pale shadow of it's former self. I do not think there is anything beneficial about having nearly 8 billion people sharing the planet. Nothing. People are more stressed, and in general less fulfilled. The environmental issues are staggering. We are currently entering into a very challenging period, and I think we are heading towards a cycle of hyper inflation (perhaps less so here, than in the US and Europe), and a massive economic correction. Cyclical, yes. But painful for those who are not prepared for it, nor refuse to believe it is on the near horizon, and especially for those barely getting by. Having said all that, the quality of life for many of us here, is infinitely higher than back in our home countries, especially for those of us who are not wealthy. And if things get as bad as I think they will worldwide, I think we will be at least partially sheltered from the pain here. 

The quality of life for the vast majority of mankind is far, far lower now, than in the past. Technology barely helps. Sure, it creates some convenience. But, does that translate into fulfillment? I think most social media is a negative, extremely toxic and highly corrosive. It creates alot of envy, hate, stress, and division. Though I do love the internet and super fadt fiber optic, as well as the ability to download to my hearts content. That is sure one upside to technology. 

The media is far worse than it used to be. We used to have investigative journalism, and great journalists, as well as great newspapers. That is gone, baby gone. Also, the media used to be less partial, and it seems like there may have been less censorship, or editorial control. 

And if one of the definitions of fascism is corporate control of government, than wherein lies true democracy? Government completely lacks any independence these days. Even governments like the US, are corrupt to the bone. They are bought and paid for. Not as bad as here. But bad. I could go on, but won't. 

There is a larger, in both absolute and percentage terms number of people living comfortable lives than ever before.

Longer life spans.

More freedoms, from freedom to divorce to freedom to travel cheaply.

Less risk of dying in a war, famine, natural disastor.

More entertainment.

More sex.

More virtually free stuff from absurdly cheap biscuits to downloads.

And affordable breast augmentation.????

1 minute ago, Grecian said:

There is a larger, in both absolute and percentage terms number of people living comfortable lives than ever before.

Longer life spans.

More entertainment.

More sex.

Yes but its all been done. Music and movies peaked already. Music 1970s, movies 1990s.

World is full of kfc, maccas.

Not much difference between one place to another.

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Yes but its all been done. Music and movies peaked already. Music 1970s, movies 1990s.

World is full of kfc, maccas.

Not much difference between one place to another.

The road to everywhere looks more similar now, but there is a huge difference between a retreat in Thailand and a nightclub in Tokyo.

24 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A crowing achievement worthy of respect  if not  adulation - did it require discipline,  practice,  effort, training? Or just a natural  born talent?

It needed me to work and save for 20 years .............

Which many of my Brit pals never managed to do.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Do  you seriously think someone in 1880 could read a thermometer with an accuracy within 0.5c? Or the thermometer even to be calibrated to that accuracy.

I have 3 digital thermometers in front of me right now, next to each other ....31c, 32.2c, 31.9c

Let me guess - all made in China?

On 5/10/2022 at 9:55 PM, Sparktrader said:

Ok so at age 48 what do I do? Move to Thailand and teach English? 

Depends on your financial situation obviously. If you start teaching now would you still want to be doing it in 10/15/20 years time, I know people still teaching in their seventies. 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, BritManToo said:

1/2 don't care.

3. The media is now  totally controlled by the governments.

4. The world is now a lot worse  for white  men, in the west only women count.

IMO you have it a$$backwards, the media has been controlling governments for years.

Example: Rupert Murdoch, who has been having governments kiss his bum for decades.

Remember him, the guy who had memory loss during the UK phone scandal? Been dodging his fair share of taxes in Australia for many years.

Perhaps Robert Maxwell is closer to home for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO you have it a$$backwards, the media has been controlling governments for years.

Example: Rupert Murdoch, who has been having governments kiss his bum for decades.

Remember him, the guy who had memory loss during the UK phone scandal? Been dodging his fair share of taxes in Australia for many years.

Perhaps Robert Maxwell is closer to home for you.

Murdoch lives in the US.

17 minutes ago, rott said:

Depends on your financial situation obviously. If you start teaching now would you still want to be doing it in 10/15/20 years time, I know people still teaching in their seventies. 

People who enjoy the work they are doing can go on into their eighties or even nineties. Those that don't, usually tap out at 50.

1 hour ago, Grecian said:

Longer life spans.

More entertainment.

More sex.

Of course there are more comfortable people. In 1950 there were 2.5 billion people on the planet. Now? 7.9 billion. What does the comfy stat mean? What about the 75% of the planet that are struggling? What about exploding homelessness? Skyrocketing prices? 

More sex? Maybe here. Certainly not back there in the netherworld. I have friends back there who have not seen any action for years. Way easier to find action back there 30 or 40 years ago, than now. People are very shut down these days. Especially western women. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Murdoch lives in the US.

Murdoch was born in Australia, and gave up that nationality in 1985 to become an American citizen in order to further his media interests there. If you care to check the dividends his companies pay to shareholders, you'll find they are quite derisory. He's still meddling in Australian politics, via his masthead "The Australian" as well as talking heads such as Andrew Bolt on Sky News.

The relevance of his location is about as meaningful as your posts on climate change, false data and confirmation bias on full display.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Of course there are more comfortable people. In 1950 there were 2.5 billion people on the planet. Now? 7.9 billion. What does the comfy stat mean? What about the 75% of the planet that are struggling? What about exploding homelessness? Skyrocketing prices? 

More sex? Maybe here. Certainly not back there in the netherworld. I have friends back there who have not seen any action for years. Way easier to find action back there 30 or 40 years ago, than now. People are very shut down these days. Especially western women. 

Don't agree with the population scares.

Most western countries have reducing populations, if you remove the non-white immigrants.

Do agree with the sex.

For most of my pals back in the UK sex stopped for them at age 40.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Don't agree with the population scares.

Most western countries have reducing populations, if you remove the non-white immigrants.

Do agree with the sex.

For most of my pals back in the UK sex stopped for them at age 40.

India, China, Indonesia overpopulated.

Rest of world fine. Oz is underpopulated by 50%.

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

40 years ago how much sex were the over 50s getting? 

The rate of stds has gone up in older age groups by the way. I think the older crowd are getting more not less even in the west.

Of course if you are in the set of males that want young attractive partners (I am) that is close to zero now in the west and close to zero at any time in the last too.

38 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I proved you wrong on climate and clearly you are left wing biased. ABC is 100% greens and Labor. 

No doubt you hate Bolt cause he exposes the lies on climate.

No warming for 6 years. Must hurt the left. Their religion is falling apart.

I suppose sticking a label on someone is the last resort of a person who has run out of valid data or argument.

Bolt is a Murdoch puppet, and a grub. He's had judgments awarded against him for defamation, defended a pedophile, expressed racist views, and winked at the sexual grooming of children. I don't hate him, despising him is enough.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You know far more than me on climate? LOL.

That means you also know more than the 95% of the world's scientists who accept climate change is caused by anthropomorphic carbon dioxide emissions. Congratulations, we were all unaware Einstein's offspring was on this thread.

Without resorting to Google, tell me what albedo and clathrates are, and their role in what is called the butterfly effect. If you are as smart as you claim to be, perhaps you can also tell me who originated that term a few centuries ago.

95% made up unscientific figure. Debunked many times over and consensus is politics not science.

I already proved

1 no warming for 6 years

2 decadal growth fell almost 66%

Basic math. Try it sometime. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That means you also know more than the 95% of the world's scientists who accept climate change is caused by anthropomorphic carbon dioxide emissions. 

Link to support that?

You're not rehashing the old myth that got debunked about 98% of academic papers supported climate change are you?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Grecian said:

40 years ago how much sex were the over 50s getting? 

The rate of stds has gone up in older age groups by the way. I think the older crowd are getting more not less even in the west.

Of course if you are in the set of males that want young attractive partners (I am) that is close to zero now in the west and close to zero at any time in the last too.

If one looks on ThaiFriendly, there does seem to be quite a few females - even teenagers - who list their desired partners as " Minimum Age - Any" "Maximum Age - Any".

2 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Link to support that?

You're not rehashing the old myth that got debunked about 98% of academic papers supported climate change are you?

Genius abhors consensus because when consensus is reached, thinking stops.

Einstein

(95 or 5 doesnt matter. Science is not consensus and consensus is not science)

4 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Link to support that?

We conclude with high statistical confidence that the scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change—expressed as a proportion of the total publications—exceeds 99% in the peer reviewed scientific literature.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966

Nearly all actively publishing climate scientists (97–100%) say humans are causing climate change.[5][4] Surveys of the scientific literature are another way to measure scientific consensus. A 2019 review of scientific papers found the consensus on the cause of climate change to be at 100%,[2] and a 2021 study concluded that over 99% of scientific papers agree on the human cause of climate change.[3] Papers that disagreed with the consensus either cannot be replicated or contain errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change

Just now, ozimoron said:

We conclude with high statistical confidence that the scientific consensus on human-caused contemporary climate change—expressed as a proportion of the total publications—exceeds 99% in the peer reviewed scientific literature.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966

Nearly all actively publishing climate scientists (97–100%) say humans are causing climate change.[5][4] Surveys of the scientific literature are another way to measure scientific consensus. A 2019 review of scientific papers found the consensus on the cause of climate change to be at 100%,[2] and a 2021 study concluded that over 99% of scientific papers agree on the human cause of climate change.[3] Papers that disagreed with the consensus either cannot be replicated or contain errors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change

Debunked