Humanity: better or worse

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

A Matrix, a simulator, a game, well, that we do not know. Might be, but that is nothing we can prove, or in fact know anything about. We can only relate to the most obvious reality that's is in front of us. 

Have no idea about that Matrix BS.  This world around us is deeply human. We exist in the human vacuum and there is no any other reality but the human one. We can research this world around us, find some rules and laws. What we cannot do is to exist in any other world or reality but the one created by ourselves. Is there anything existing but it? Definitely. There is. Something. May be an infinite number of “somethings”. But none of it has anything to do with us, humans.  We have one and only reality, the one mirroring ourselves. 

Edited by Hellfire

2 minutes ago, Hellfire said:

Have no idea about that Matrix BS.  This world around us is deeply human. We exist in the human vacuum and there is no any other reality but the human one. We can research this world around us, find some rules and laws. What we cannot do is to exist in any other world or reality but the one created by ourselves. Is there anything existing but it? Definitely. There is. Something. May be an infinite number of “somethings”. But none of it has anything to do with us, humans. 

Try to study ant colonies, then tell me what reality is ????

Ants is not just Ants

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Try to study ant colonies, then tell me what reality is ????

Ants is not just Ants

This is so wrong. Thinking we are the part of the Nature. We are not. We overgrew it. Somehow, we are the anti-nature. May be, we are the nature’s cancer. Anyway - we are something unique and not complimentary to anything that existed before us. Never will we find our peace of mind in going back to nature. 

Edited by Hellfire

Birds are self aware and fairly smart. Particularly cockatoos and crows near me.

Climate change and heating is real. I am basing that on expert opinion rather than some guys on the internet.

The fact that one month or one day or one hour is less than the average of the 20th century is not a thing. Need to look at a longer period. Enough reputable scientists to massively outweigh the odd scandal here and there.

There were no politicians like orange man back then or if there were they were sidelined, as duds and loonies didn't have the internet to gather together, and give credence to nonsense. 

For people overall the world is much better now than in the 80's. Ask Thai people about life in 1980's. Some westerners liked it then because they had money and Thai's did not so they could do things to them and they accepted it. 

For Australians life is better in some ways in terms of access to fun and travel and good food. Bogans much more prevalent back then. Some things not as good, maybe tougher to get a start, pressure of social media on the young ones, some people a bit less friendly. Still good beaches and nature though cities overrun by terrible blocks of apartments. I see pictures of working in the office back then - a small desk, no computer or a crappy one, no thanks. 

I am OK with 2022. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hellfire said:

Have no idea about that Matrix BS.  This world around us is deeply human. We exist in the human vacuum and there is no any other reality but the human one. We can research this world around us, find some rules and laws. What we cannot do is to exist in any other world or reality but the one created by ourselves. Is there anything existing but it? Definitely. There is. Something. May be an infinite number of “somethings”. But none of it has anything to do with us, humans.  We have one and only reality, the one mirroring ourselves. 

A better suggestion and possibility that such reality takes a wide variety of forms without relying on a singular absolute. 

Reality is just a reflective imagination of each and every individual.......and life forms. 

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

A better suggestion and possibility that such reality takes a wide variety of forms without relying on a singular absolute. 

Reality is just a reflective imagination of each and every individual.......and life forms. 

Some people believe that there is a physical world with immutable laws that can de discovered through experimentation, observation and contemplation.

I am not going to try and contradict Newton or Einstein on that one.

Some people believe that there are rules that dictate how people behave in various circumstances.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:02 PM, rumak said:

at least move up to some good whiskey .........   that beer is just full of chemicals 

. i did the google search for the lazy ones here :  

What are the chemicals in beer?

A quick search on the web shows that substances like urea, potassium sulfate, sodium benzoate, antifoaming agents, flavor enhancers, sodium citrate, tartaric acid, corn syrup, genetically modified malt and hops, amyloglucosidase enzyme, propylene glycol alginate, chemically modified hop extracts, carbon dioxide, papain ..

If one is on a low carb diet, beer is one of the worst offenders. OTOH, whisky has zero carbs.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, BritManToo said:

PS. I am a scientist (UK government retired).

I'd say not a very good one, if you don't understand basic thermodynamics.

Global warming is the Second Law of Thermodynamics in operation, climate change is the First.

I am a retired scientist too. However, I only worked in private industry, where performance is valued more than how many connections one has.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd say not a very good one, if you don't understand basic thermodynamics.

Global warming is the Second Law of Thermodynamics in operation, climate change is the First.

I am a retired scientist too. However, I only worked in private industry, where performance is valued more than how many connections one has.

So how do you explain the lack of warming

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

The Larsen Ice Shelf is melting at unprecedented rates, Iceland's glaciers are disappearing, Australia has had record heat cells in the interior over the past decade. The Great Barrier Reef has had four bleaching events in the past seven years.

Since when has Russia, of all places, had to fight bush-fires?

These are not models or projections, these are facts happening now.

I don't mind the average climate denier, most are mouth breathers with the attention span of a goldfish and the intelligence of an amoeba. It's when people who should know better join the denial conga line that I get irritated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't mind the average climate denier, most are mouth breathers with the attention span of a goldfish and the intelligence of an amoeba. It's when people who should know better join the denial conga line that I get irritated.

Why would you care what anyone else believes?

Neither the deniers nor the believers have the power to change anything one way or the other.

Now let's argue about how many angels can stand on the head of a pin?

Loser gets burnt at the stake ...............

Things are bad. It's the little things all around showing change. Rivers slowly changing and fish and other species disappearing worldwide.

One Third of US Rivers are Changing Color. To me this just shows how bad things are getting. Some of it might be due to lowering water tables, rainfall or just straight out human pollution. It's also a worldwide thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/22/one-third-us-rivers-changed-color-recent-decades

Ocean Species Disappearing Faster Than Those on Land.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/ocean-species-disappear-faster-climate-change-impacts-cold-blooded-animals-harder

‘Record after record’: Brazil’s Amazon deforestation hits April high, nearly double previous peak

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/07/record-after-record-brazils-amazon-deforestation-hits-april-high-nearly-double-previous-peak

With human population still to rise and everyone wanting the modern life, it doesn't look good for humanity.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Here in rural Kamphaeng Phet at 1:30 pm this Sunday afternoon it is 36.6C in the shade, and if that isn't warm I don't know what is.

This day

15 May 2017 = 31.9C

15 May 2018 = 35.4C

15 May 2019 = 35.7C

15 May 2020 = 38.9C

15 May 2021 = 38.0

15 May 2022 = 36.6C so far

On 5/13/2022 at 9:20 PM, Hellfire said:

This is so wrong. Thinking we are the part of the Nature. We are not. We overgrew it. Somehow, we are the anti-nature. May be, we are the nature’s cancer. Anyway - we are something unique and not complimentary to anything that existed before us. Never will we find our peace of mind in going back to nature. 

Any specie that becomes dominant will be cancer for the planet. 

Most of the technology We inventing, already exists in the nature, we are just copy cats ????  and not that clever either, since we are not able to see long term consequences of what we are doing to ourself and the environment.

Edited by Hummin

On 5/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Sparktrader said:

Is the world getting better?

Lets say it like this. If I could decide my own year of birth, would I keep it like it was, want to be born in 2000 or 2020 or maybe 2050?

No thank you, I keep my old age. In some ways the world is obviously better. But lots of humans all over the world do their very best to f$#$ it up. I am pretty sure it will get a lot worse before maybe one day it will get better again, maybe. 

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lets say it like this. If I could decide my own year of birth, would I keep it like it was, want to be born in 2000 or 2020 or maybe 2050?

No thank you, I keep my old age. In some ways the world is obviously better. But lots of humans all over the world do their very best to f$#$ it up. I am pretty sure it will get a lot worse before maybe one day it will get better again, maybe. 

Ah,  are you sure that's not "you" keeping your date of birth the same?

if you were to have a random birth anywhere in the world I would suggest the best day to be born is today over any day in the past.

10% of world in defined abject poverty now, much lower than even one generation ago.

On 5/14/2022 at 2:00 AM, Hellfire said:

Have no idea about that Matrix BS

The Matrix BS.

Astronomers have noticed there doesn't appear to be enough mass in the universe to keep all the rotating objects from flying apart (ie. not enough gravity to oppose centrifugal force).

Giving rise to 3 different explanations.

1. Newton's laws don't work (giving rise to the theory of Modified Newtonian Dynamics,  MoND for short)

2. Dark matter makes up 3/4 of the mass in the universe, that we can neither see nor detect.

3. We're living in a simulation, and nothing we see or measure is real (The Matrix running the simulation didn't have enough processing power to  fill in all the details).

MoND Vs Dark Matter Vs The Matrix

Take your pick!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The Matrix BS.

Astronomers have noticed there doesn't appear to be enough mass in the universe to keep all the rotating objects from flying apart (ie. not enough gravity to oppose centrifugal force).

Giving rise to 3 different explanations.

1. Newton's laws don't work (giving rise to the theory of Modified Newtonian Dynamics,  MoND for short)

2. Dark matter makes up 3/4 of the mass in the universe, that we can neither see nor detect.

3. We're living in a simulation, and nothing we see or measure is real (The Matrix running the simulation didn't have enough processing power to  fill in all the details).

MoND Vs Dark Matter Vs The Matrix

Take your pick!

You think to mutt, I have been told more than once and by more than one thai woman. And thank god I have listened and do not think as much as I did. 

Try to enjoy as much as possible before its to late

6 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I agree except western govs want carbon taxes.

People tend to inflence others generally for one of two reasons, control/ power or MONEY !  Look at most things and it will usually fall into one or the other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Fake facts. Hottest Oz temp? 1800s

Bleaching of the reef was due to other factors like La Nina.

Worst fires and floods 100 to 160 years ago

Worst US hurrican 1900.

Any climate denier can cherrypick individual data points from a century ago, ignoring the fact the tools used in measuring those data points were far more primitive than the equipment we have today.

Or they can say other causes, just like the reef example.

The Australian bushfires of 2019-2020 burnt an estimated minimum of 60 million acres. That's a lot more than Ash Wednesday of 1983, or Black Saturday of 2009. I doubt the area burnt by a bushfire in 1800 was even measured.

It's the frequency and intensity of storms and bushfires that is increasing, obeying the First Law of Thermodynamics. Multiple data points.

It's quite obvious your ignorance of thermodynamics is equaled by your ignorance of basic statistics, goodbye.

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

If you do the sums and Im being generous Oz cutting co2 by 50% tomorrow will reduce temps by between zero and 0.000575 at most over 50 years. At most, most likely less given its a curve not a flat line.

did you do the sums for the world cutting CO2 emissions by 50% tomorrow>

*Deleted post edited out*

why are these guys wrong and you are right?

In 2020 – one of the three warmest years on record – the global average temperature was 1.2 °C above the pre-industrial baseline, according to the WMO’s report on the State of the Global Climate 2020, released in April. It highlighted the acceleration in climate change indicators like rising sea levels, melting sea ice, and extreme weather, as well as worsening impacts on socio-economic development.

The Global Annual to Decadal Climate Update confirms that trend. In the coming five years, the annual mean global temperature is likely to be at least 1°C warmer - within the range 0.9°C – 1.8°C - than preindustrial levels.

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-release/new-climate-predictions-increase-likelihood-of-temporarily-reaching-15-°c-next-5

Edited by Scott

According to an ongoing temperature analysis led by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by at least 1.1° Celsius (1.9° Fahrenheit) since 1880. The majority of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15 to 0.20°C per decade.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/global-temperatures

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

According to an ongoing temperature analysis led by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by at least 1.1° Celsius (1.9° Fahrenheit) since 1880. The majority of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15 to 0.20°C per decade.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/global-temperatures

Do  you seriously think someone in 1880 could read a thermometer with an accuracy within 0.5c? Or the thermometer even to be calibrated to that accuracy.

I have 3 digital thermometers in front of me right now, next to each other ....31c, 32.2c, 31.9c

Edited by BritManToo

I think humanity is a pale shadow of it's former self. I do not think there is anything beneficial about having nearly 8 billion people sharing the planet. Nothing. People are more stressed, and in general less fulfilled. The environmental issues are staggering. We are currently entering into a very challenging period, and I think we are heading towards a cycle of hyper inflation (perhaps less so here, than in the US and Europe), and a massive economic correction. Cyclical, yes. But painful for those who are not prepared for it, nor refuse to believe it is on the near horizon, and especially for those barely getting by. Having said all that, the quality of life for many of us here, is infinitely higher than back in our home countries, especially for those of us who are not wealthy. And if things get as bad as I think they will worldwide, I think we will be at least partially sheltered from the pain here. 

The quality of life for the vast majority of mankind is far, far lower now, than in the past. Technology barely helps. Sure, it creates some convenience. But, does that translate into fulfillment? I think most social media is a negative, extremely toxic and highly corrosive. It creates alot of envy, hate, stress, and division. Though I do love the internet and super fadt fiber optic, as well as the ability to download to my hearts content. That is sure one upside to technology. 

The media is far worse than it used to be. We used to have investigative journalism, and great journalists, as well as great newspapers. That is gone, baby gone. Also, the media used to be less partial, and it seems like there may have been less censorship, or editorial control. 

And if one of the definitions of fascism is corporate control of government, than wherein lies true democracy? Government completely lacks any independence these days. Even governments like the US, are corrupt to the bone. They are bought and paid for. Not as bad as here. But bad. I could go on, but won't. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Ive got 40 years left. I fear for the world due to nonsense not anything else. The world is full of bs.

What would u do if you were 49?

I'd drink alcohol, smoke weed, and bang hookers ....... but more enthusiastically than I'm doing now age 66.

• Like 1