Analysis: Thai Public Health Ministry doubling down on public mask mandates, say looking for ways to enforce them better for tourists

webfact

8 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Get rid of those stupid face diapers for good. Inside a shop maybe but now its just bullying and not necessary. My own Thai family are wearing them inside our car when we venture out. I try to reason with them how silly they look but the "sheep" do it anyway?

"bullying and not necessary" is nowt to do with it. This is Thailand they do things differently here, one way of ratcheting up the xenophobia is for a farang to walk around maskless with a know-all, supercilious smirk on his face. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, mania said:

Meanwhile in the rest of the world we are enjoying ourselves without mask/fear/rhetoric

Even Italy who may have been the hardest hit initially is currently hosting the Giro ...no masks thanks ????

PoxeJzdqn4ghT2BhW4nGPF.jpg

So explain one thing to me I live in a city of 2 million (in OZ) had the mask mandate and only had a handfull of infections. Now that mandate has been dropped no mask any where and the infections has sky rocket to 17,000 per day and you are saying masks don't help? Get a life

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

So explain one thing to me I live in a city of 2 million (in OZ) had the mask mandate and only had a handfull of infections. Now that mandate has been dropped no mask any where and the infections has sky rocket to 17,000 per day and you are saying masks don't help? Get a life

The US just surpassed 1 ion deaths from Covid and yet they are wide open without masks.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The US just surpassed 1 ion deaths from Covid and yet they are wide open without masks.

I talked to a girl who is 26 never been sick no underlying conditions who got what they call long covid she can't walk is in a wheel chair and find it hard  to do the simpliest things in life including talking

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many are giving the masks the old heave ho especially tourists. Not mandated in their countries or on planes for the most part.  Going to he a hard sell and now if enforced will be another death knell for tourism...

Another death  knell! LOL

Nobody cares or gives it a second thought

10 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I talked to a girl who is 26 never been sick no underlying conditions who got what they call long covid she can't walk is in a wheel chair and find it hard  to do the simpliest things in life including talking

Post Viral Fatigue  Syndrome  predates covid but remains a disputed illness- Long Civid is hardly known outside of English  speaking  countries

23 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Of course  they help- its a proven medical scientific fact

15 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Hopefully this is made 100% clear to all potential tourists.

The famous Ad campaigns from the TAT should all feature tourists fully masked as they ride elephants, walk along deserted beaches, ride in TukTuks, sit by the pool, visit temples etc. just so it is 100% clear that your holiday will be spent wearing a sweaty face nappy.

There could also be a section where a tourist is arrested for Vaping, just for the sake of clarity. 

There are so many things here that tourists can do that they can't do in their home countries. 

Where else can they legally see a naked girl on a stage with a frog, unopened bottle of Fanta, and some blowing darts?  They will suffer the slight discomfort of wearing a mask. 

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There are so many things here that tourists can do that they can't do in their home countries. 

Where else can they legally see a naked girl on a stage with a frog, unopened bottle of Fanta, and some blowing darts?  They will suffer the slight discomfort of wearing a mask. 

you are sick just because you have thai residensdoes not gives you the reason to abuse other farangs

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Thailand said:

Agree, tourists should be made aware that masks must be worn at time of booking and the Thai government should inform embassies that this is a requirement for their citizens and highlight it on their websites as of course all Thai tourism related websites will do.

Then I woke up!

The problem is TAT do their own thing and therefore continually mislead the public in their tourist adverts worldwide.

As they did with no mention of the consequences of testing positive upon arrival and being forced into quarantine at your own expense, at the time it was required.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

They are visiting a foreign land, so obey the laws. 

We don't want the sort that are entitled to their rights, 

Deport them all.

Including Scottish Republicans. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, topt said:

Actually under the current "guidance" that is what you are supposed to do.

Doesn't matter if you live with someone if you are both in a car together you are supposed to wear a mask. 

Yes it does not make sense but you are actually "wrong" and your family are abiding by the current gudelines/regulations.

Somehow it does not make sense that I could pull up in traffic, on my bike, wearing a mask, and the single person in their car next to me, with the window down does not have to mask up.

Have I got that right?

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

Somehow it does not make sense that I could pull up in traffic, on my bike, wearing a mask, and the single person in their car next to me, with the window down does not have to mask up.

Have I got that right?

No, it doesn't have to make sense in all the scenarios you care to think up! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Have I got that right?

Yep :thumbsup:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Good, should decrease the respiratory ailments that thousands of Thais die from silently each year.

Do not worry so much about them...As I have mentioned in another thread: Masks are here to stay whether the government "officially" drops the wearing or not

3 minutes ago, alyx said:

Do not worry so much about them...As I have mentioned in another thread: Masks are here to stay whether the government "officially" drops the wearing or not

Wearing them for the PM 2.5 was why I wore them in BKK for 4 months out of the year before Covid hit, but then those masks I wore and still wear are the KN 95 masks, and not those ineffective masks that people are wearing now, especially re-wearing the same one day in and day out.  

37 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The truth hurts sunshine

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, swm59nj said:

so many people in the forums seemed to have moved to Thailand expressing dislike for their own  and other western countries.   But it appears they dislike and complain about living in Thailand also.  

And so many people who have moved to Thailand dislike and complain about other people who have moved to Thailand. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Nobody likes Celtic supporters. 

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems to be relaxed in many areas however, a You Tube Vlogger said the RTP are out full force in Phuket.  He claimed he got stopped on his MB for no mask and was told he needed to pay 20,000 b. He claimed he settled it for less.

So, I guess you never know best to at least keep one with you when out.

I'd show my broken ankle and skinless foot to any copy that pushes me to wear a mask on a bike ever again.  

It's a serious, and REAL, hazard to wear one vs the uselessness of wearing one in the open air, by yourself, to combat getting a mild cold/flu.

• Confused 1

Strange that they are pushing masks outside when the region (Singapore and Malaysia) has relaxed that mandate.

I would expect Indonesia to be the next to move now the Ramadan period is over

Here in Malaysia there have been a lot of pictures of unmasked senior politicians at crowded social events. I assume they are outdoors or banquets. A month ago you would never have seen this in the media.

At the end of Ramadan the PM celebrated with 100k persons at his open house meal serving. All/most unmasked

Edited by Spilornis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alyx said:

I'm not worried, I will continue to wear mine.

Others also have the free choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

I'd show my broken ankle and skinless foot to any copy that pushes me to wear a mask on a bike ever again.  

It's a serious, and REAL, hazard to wear one vs the uselessness of wearing one in the open air, by yourself, to combat getting a mild cold/flu.

So wearing a mask caused you to break your ankle and have the skin removed from your foot?  How is that possible, unless you were wearing the mask as a blindfold while riding your bike.

22 hours ago, alyx said:

More the concern, I think pollution requiring them is here to stay!

Analysis: Thai Public Health Ministry doubling down on public mask mandates, say looking for ways to enforce them better for tourists

It's a delicate balance.  On the one hand, they want to make it clear that Thailand is open to tourists and want people to visit and spend money as they did before the pandemic.  On the other hand, they want to make it clear to Thais that foreigners are dangerous, all have covid and are the reason covid came to Thailand.

Tricky.

• Haha 1