Analysis: Thai Public Health Ministry doubling down on public mask mandates, say looking for ways to enforce them better for tourists

webfact

On 5/12/2022 at 7:35 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Going to he a hard sell and now if enforced will be another death knell for tourism...

No doubt, after all that we've been through, people desperately want to forget about covid when they take their first proper holiday in more than two years (as much as they can anyway).

"It's totally back to normal there now."  Is what people want to hear, not "The process to get in is still very convoluted and tedious, and when you are there you will have to wear a mask at all times while you will be closely monitored wherever you go".

On 5/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, mania said:

Meanwhile in the rest of the world we are enjoying ourselves without mask/fear/rhetoric

Even Italy who may have been the hardest hit initially is currently hosting the Giro ...no masks thanks ????

PoxeJzdqn4ghT2BhW4nGPF.jpg

I don't want masks either, especially outside, but zoom in on on your photo and there are clearly some members of the public wearing masks. Poor choice of photo.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Meat Pie 47 said:

So explain one thing to me I live in a city of 2 million (in OZ) had the mask mandate and only had a handfull of infections. Now that mandate has been dropped no mask any where and the infections has sky rocket to 17,000  per day and you are saying masks don't help? Get a life

Interesting, is that a general thing or is it peculiar to where you live.? Dare I ask the name of the city.? 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, ThailandRyan said:

So wearing a mask caused you to break your ankle and have the skin removed from your foot?  How is that possible, unless you were wearing the mask as a blindfold while riding your bike.

You thought you were being funny, but you just laid out how a mask is an extremely dangerous (and unnecessary) hazard when riding an open air vehicle.

14 hours ago, Dart12 said:

You thought you were being funny, but you just laid out how a mask is an extremely dangerous (and unnecessary) hazard when riding an open air vehicle.

You are supposed to wear it over your mouth and nose you know.... that has positive benefits not originally considered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Just came back from Hua Hin where the hotel I stayed at strictly enforced mask wearing. Most of the farangs staying there were not wearing masks and refused to even after hotel staff asked them to wear them. So the hotel manager called a meeting of all the farangs staying at the hotel and also had local police in attendance. Hotel guests were told in no uncertain terms that refusal to wear a mask both in and around the hotel and outside would result in them being refused entry to the hotel and being told to leave with no refunds. The police also told them of the maximum penalties for non mask wearing that were still applicable under the emergency decree. Needless to say all complied from that point onwards. many did state their travel agents did not advise them of the mask wearing requirements but that argument was quickly shot down when they were asked if they did their own research before travelling as to the requirements in Thailand. All answered no.

Very well done by that hotel management.....
Many of the guests of that hotel will tell other people that they were threatened by the police to pay astronomic fines if they dont comply with the useless and silly face diaper mandate.
If I were in that situation I would tell anybody to stay well away from Thailand until that madness has ended (if it ever ends at all).
Thats exactly the kind of publicity that Thai tourism needs those days.
But the emergency decree is enforced.... "SIR, YES, SIR!"

• Sad 1

Thailand is likely one of the last remaining countries in the world to require this. It is juvenile. It is oppressive. It is sheer denial of science. Especially mask use outdoors. It is likely a way to keep the people afraid, paranoid and prevent them from taking to the streets and expressing their extreme disappointment with the leadership here, who have failed them on nearly every level and are despised. 

Masks disappear and so does the emergency decree. 

Kudos to the foreign tourists for ignoring this inane stupidity. Show the locals what intelligence and free thinking looks like. Defy stupidity. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rohe60 said:

Very well done by that hotel management.....
Many of the guests of that hotel will tell other people that they were threatened by the police to pay astronomic fines if they dont comply with the useless and silly face diaper mandate.
If I were in that situation I would tell anybody to stay well away from Thailand until that madness has ended (if it ever ends at all).
Thats exactly the kind of publicity that Thai tourism needs those days.
But the emergency decree is enforced.... "SIR, YES, SIR!"

It is irrelevant what you think of the mask requirement and whether it is necessary. Hua Hin gets a lot of tourists from Bangkok and I suspect their feeling should be respected. As well as the rules of the country or region.

In a way, you are fortunate that you can bang on about something so trivial. Aren't there more serious issues in your own country?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is likely one of the last remaining countries in the world to require this. It is juvenile. It is oppressive. It is sheer denial of science. Especially mask use outdoors. It is likely a way to keep the people afraid, paranoid and prevent them from taking to the streets and expressing their extreme disappointment with the leadership here, who have failed them on nearly every level and are despised. 

Masks disappear and so does the emergency decree. 

Kudos to the foreign tourists for ignoring this inane stupidity. Show the locals what intelligence and free thinking looks like. Defy stupidity. 

Reading our best friend in the world Anutin's latest comments, I see that masks will, in his view, still be required to be worn after the virus becomes endemic and the emergency decree is scrapped.