A path to reverse leg and arm muscle atrophy

NewGuy

On 5/30/2022 at 7:48 PM, BigStar said:

WEEKS! We wish. Let’s make that months. L-o-n-g months!

Depends on the type of exercise. Weight training and being able to see visible muscle growth does indeed take many months. Significant improvement in cardio activities can be achieved in weeks though. If you struggle running 500 meters, after a month of regularly running you will probably have no problem to run 2kms.

• Like 1

I'm almost same age as you and I was in the same situation.  It's hard to get a "program" going so on the advice of a physical therapist, I started slowly. No equipment needed, you already have everything to get started.

First, before you get out of bed, put your legs up and "bicycle"  SLOWLY for 20 rotations, or even 10 to start with.  Then do 4 or 5 leg lifts, each leg, again SLOWLY.

Stand, arms outstretched to each side. Turn so arms are pointing forward and back 5 times in each direction, again, slowly  First five times, turn your head with your arms, next five, keep your head facing straight ahead.  Now you are stretched a bit.

Best starting exercise for my legs was a simple chair sit.  Take a straight backed dining chair. Sit with back straight and try to stand WITHOUT LUNGING.  If you can not, have your wife assist you by both hands, but only hard enough to get you going. Then sit down as slowly as you can, keeping your back as straight as possible.  Try at first to do it 5 times. If you are like me, you will be amazed at how soon you will be able to do ten, then 20.

Keep a one litre water bottle next to where you sit for TV.  Every time you think of it, just pick it up and do 10 curls with each arm, also sometimes arm lifts.  Again, you will be surprised at how quickly you will develop strength.  

Once you get going with these, then follow suggestions of others here and find some senior exercise videos on You Tube and follow the one that appeals to you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...