SURVEY: What are your biggest issues in Thailand?

webfact

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The biggest issue are the motoring laws that are broken and un-enforced daily which cause issues of indescribable magnitude.

100%. Nothing comes even close to this except for noise. When I hate Thailand and want to leave for ever it's for this.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

100%. Nothing comes even close to this except for noise. When I hate Thailand and want to leave for ever it's for this.

So you rate road safety deaths only just above 'noise'. What planet are you from?

• Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Guderian said:

The lack of a formal retirement programme, which means you have no right to live here beyond your current extension of stay, no matter how much you may have spent on property or how many children you may have. It's not really been an issue in the past, but I can see in the future that health insurance requirements to get another extension of stay may change, meaning that some people, especially the older ones, may no longer be able to stay here as they won;t be able to afford the astronomical cost of a health policy once you're over 80 years. The other concern is that as Thailand slowly grows richer I think it's inevitable we'll find all manner of rules and regulations tightened up, perhaps making it more difficult to live the way that we have been used to doing. I suspect it's also likely that the current resentment of foreigners which sometimes surfaces among the wealthier section of the population (our current Health Minister is a prime example of this) will become more common and more pronounced. As with Singapore and Taiwan, say, this won't prevent us from living here, but it will make it more difficult and expensive to do so.

What would your chances be to retire in Florida? How would your life with kids been there? For me who are in my mid 50’ies soon, I understand my time in Thailand is limited, and I am making the plan to move back to Eu, but who can predict the future? Same as many of you guys who retired here 10 to 20 years ago, what did you think about the future back then living in Thailand? What did you expect Thailand to give back to you after all this years? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I used to have more issues than I do now. I worked on my attitude, which was getting in the way of appreciating Thailand for what it is, and was clouding my experience here. Used to stress over stupid stuff, as you can see from some of my past posts. Used to allow the politics to make me angry. Now it is not something I take seriously, just something I comment on, without anger or an emotional investment. Now, I just tend to laugh it off. Spent some real time back in the US recently, and it allowed some clarity and perspective, that I am very grateful for. Now, I just chuckle at most of the nonsense. Water off a duck's back, so to speak. 

Yep, I hear you. Just had a much-needed perspective check myself (back in the UK) for the first time in three years.

Turned a few mountains back into molehills, thankfully. ????

• Like 1

Marriage visa,in america i have a green card good for 5 years,in Thailand i am married for 15 years,i have a son,i own a house,i have two cars,and i need to prepare two dossiers of 27 pages every years for my marriage extention,and i need a witness! and i get my extention one month later and i have to report every 90 days, i know there is a lot fake marriages that the raison for all that,but i think this is not very hard to find out fack marriage by doing random checking,the good people all way paye for! now for my next visa i am not doing a marriage visa again,i am doing a retirement visa,less paper work and i get my visa right a way!

• Like 1

Four issues:

1. Dangerous idiots on the road.

2. Litter on sois and undeveloped plots.

3. Difficulty for ordinary person (I.e not super rich) to obtain long term visas.

4. Girls screaming over PA systems in shopping malls.

Other than that everything hunky dory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Agree. With most of that. But I do like alot of Thai people. Mostly women. LOL. I find many to be light-hearted, kind, goofy, humorous, and fun to be around. 

And I love the food. The good stuff. There is plenty of that if you like spicy, know where to look, or are fortunate to have a woman who is a gourmet chef at home! 

Fair Enough. I replaced WOMEN with FAMILY ! I eat only Simple Thai Food prepared by my Lady. I prefer ( non- stodgy) British Food though. ????

In order of annoyance:-

1.   Lack of driver/rider skills including courtesy.

2.  Police and judicial system corruption and lack of integrity.

3.  Anutin.

4.  Government "Flip Flops".

5.  Thailand Pass and associated BS.

6.  Poor road maintenance, especially in rural areas.

7.  The government fixation on alcohol sales. = NO consistency! I still keep a 4 week buffer at home to cover a couple of beers after my day's activity.

I can tolerate things like 90 Day reporting and jumping through Immigration hoops, no worse than most other countries.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, no deal said:

Marriage visa,in america i have a green card good for 5 years,in Thailand i am married for 15 years,i have a son,i own a house,i have two cars,and i need to prepare two dossiers of 27 pages every years for my marriage extention,and i need a witness! and i get my extention one month later and i have to report every 90 days, i know there is a lot fake marriages that the raison for all that,but i think this is not very hard to find out fack marriage by doing random checking,the good people all way paye for! now for my next visa i am not doing a marriage visa again,i am doing a retirement visa,less paper work and i get my visa right a way!

Exactly. Retirement Stay for me. Agent used to avoid Financials-Humiliation-Reporting, to which I object in principle. 

• Thanks 1

Hello ,

1. The inconsistency in Immigration Process as an Expat , When the Thai Immigration Laws state differently then what your local Immigration Office tells you.
Example : The Financial Income Affidavit Letter is no longer required and replaced with Bank Statements, Bank Conformation Letter of your Account, Yet I’m still asked to provide a Income Affidavit Letter in Thai Language and English Language as an American Expat !! Why !!?? 

2. Banking Holidays delaying Pension Electronic Deposits, Some times 2-3 days on average.

Yet if a individual does a Electronic Bank Transfer in Thailand It’s instant !! Or If an individual sends a Western Union to you in Thailand It’s instant !! This is just plain poor Customer Service for Expats , and Electronic Deposits Period !!

Most anywhere in the Banking World Electronic Deposits are instant or at minimum under 24 hours at most , Thus the term Electronic Deposit !! 

3. Driving while Intoxicated, Not wearing seat belts , Speeding , Not wearing helmets with motorcycles and many other driving safety violations and in general The Thai Police rearely enforce these violations !!

Yet rest assured violating foreigners are a walking Atm for Tea Money !!  

These are the Top three concerns I have.

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Too many foreigners complaining about issues with Thailand. 

It's Thailand, that's why I'm here, leave it alone, stop complaining. 

It took me awhile to get to that point, but jeez, how easy life can be when you brake that code. 

1) Wide spread corruption at all levels is disadvantaging the country, which the current government said they were going to address!

2) Driving standards & practices are appalling and partly because of the above. 

3) For many reasons including costs to governments immigration laws & rules need reforming.

4) Imported alcohol is a piece of the tourism puzzle and is way to expensive due to ridiculously high    excise and duties which is detrimental to the tourism industry. 

5) Thailand openly discriminates against western foreigners which they need to support tourism so they bite the hand that feeds them and then wonder why numbers are down.  

Thailand is a great country to live in and has many lovely people so the above comments are constructive criticism and not slagging Thailand or its people. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello ,

1. The inconsistency in Immigration Process as an Expat , When the Thai Immigration Laws state differently then what your local Immigration Office tells you.
Example : The Financial Income Affidavit Letter is no longer required and replaced with Bank Statements, Bank Conformation Letter of your Account, Yet I’m still asked to provide a Income Affidavit Letter in Thai Language and English Language as an American Expat !! Why !!?? 

2. Banking Holidays delaying Pension Electronic Deposits, Some times 2-3 days on average.

Yet if a individual does a Electronic Bank Transfer in Thailand It’s instant !! Or If an individual sends a Western Union to you in Thailand It’s instant !! This is just plain poor Customer Service for Expats , and Electronic Deposits Period !!

Most anywhere in the Banking World Electronic Deposits are instant or at minimum under 24 hours at most , Thus the term Electronic Deposit !! 

3. Driving while Intoxicated, Not wearing seat belts , Speeding , Not wearing helmets with motorcycles and many other driving safety violations and in general The Thai Police rearely enforce these violations !!

Yet rest assured violating foreigners are a walking Atm for Tea Money !!  

These are the Top three concerns I have.

TD Bank inCanada has a very cheap and fast money transfer system that I have used to get my pension payments over here for the last few years. It has never taken more than 2 minutes from me pushing the 'transfer' button, until I hear the notification 'bing bong' from my Krungthai Banking app. It is called "VisaDirect". If you have a Thai banking ATM Card with "Visa" on it you can use the service from your TD Bank easyline app.  Transfer charges are very reasonably, usually $ 8.95 for my meager pension amount!!

Maybe other countries have banks that provide a similar service.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It riles me that many members of the Thai government, past and present, own property abroad whilst foreigners can't in Thailand.  Thaksin for example, has (or had) 3 properties in the UK - a case of do as I say, not as I do. He also has or had controlling stakes in at least 2 UK companies.

Seriously you can not compare uk to thailand investing in property and business. If Thailand was open everyone buying land and create business, what would be left for locals, and what would it have done to inflation? 

We see what happend to poor eu countries when the they joined, all the best easy productive farmland was bought up by cooperatives, and local  real estate was killed by foreign investors. 

• Like 2

Love the place but my biggest concerns are

Lack of road rule enforcement. It’s highly likely I’ll die on the roads

Too much plastic. Not enough bins..

Its all the sh#t that people complain about that makes it more interesting

b’dair b’dair that’s all folks!!!