Out of the frying pan..... into the Thai police: Motorcyclists kicked sparking outrage

webfact

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

There is no excuse for the police to beat somebody up, not in Thailand not anywhere, but it does happen. If the perpetrator is in cuffs on the floor, as in this case, the only reason they beat him up is for pleasure, they should be fired, but will probably get a promotion!

Maybe, but only if they can afford it.

• Like 1

If the original story is to be believed, and the fact they admitted going the wrong wasy, why on earth handcuff them etc. 

The gun was a no no, but at no time were the police threatened, their actions regarding this is completely inappropriate.

But then RTP are not known for intelligent Police officers  are they 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not a big fan of police violence, if and when it happens unprovoked, but if confronted by a criminal with a gun, not sure I'd be so kind myself.  Maybe they should have took him out for coffee & donuts.  There may be a lot more to the story than what's in the snapshots.  Any threats to PoPo 'if you arrest me' ... we never get the full story.

Criminals carry guns for 1 reason, to use them.

Som nam na

Was on the news this morning. The 3 youths didn't threaten the Police, just got a good kicking for their troubles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

it is common on Thailand to use violence whatever reason there is... Everyone does it..Hitting in schools, in police stations, for looking at somebody, not long a go a mother with a kid not even 2 years old at the Big C....The kid wanted something and the mother said no and when she asked a gain she was beaten..... Education???

"it is common on Thailand to use violence whatever reason there is".

Look at it another way. Over in Thailand I can walk the streets after dark through the middle of Bangkok and Pattaya and be safe and feel safe, but here in Glasgow where I am at present, I would not dare do that.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

What an astoundingly facile comment - You really need to review your attitude to law and law enforcement. 

Like a previous poster said, you only carry a gun if you are intending to use it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Cuffed for going the wrong way? Body searched for going the wrong way?

Well you didn't expect Thai coppers to give them a kicking uncuffed surely? They might have fought back!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Road Warrior said:

i dont blame the police / he had a gun --- so understand police action !!!

Really? He's in handcuff, on the ground. Procedure SHOULD be to transport them back to the station and question them about where the gun came from. Dishing out a kicking to some prone youths is not doing the police any favours on several levels:

1. It's bad press in a country desperate to get visitors to come here.

2. It does little to improve the reputation for honesty and above reproach behaviour for an already beleagured police force.

3. It makes people who genuinely need assistance far more wary about requesting it from the police which could lead to much worse treatment being meted out on youngsters by the many gangs roaming the place.

4. It sends a message to the youth gangs, if the police get you and you have a gun, use it on them or you'll get a kicking.

Has anybody watched the video of the event or posted here for that matter ?

It is a total disgrace 

The youngsters did ride their bike towards the Police car to ask for their help.

Unless these guys had been issued a search warrant , the reaction of the bobbies is totally wrong 

Hope I can post that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Like a previous poster said, you only carry a gun if you are intending to use it.

Where was the gun carrier's intention........ when someone threatened them with a knife? 

You know, a person might carry a gun purely for self-defense. Yes, they may be prepared to use the gun........... without ever having a plan to do so. 

And since they were threatened by someone with one or more knives........... assuming their story is true.......... being concerned for their own safety would have been clearly justified! 

Having a gun suggests they believed they could be headed for trouble. But it doesn't suggest they had any intention of starting it! 

Cheers! 

Edited by KanchanaburiGuy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, alyx said:

For all I know, the bobbies discovered the gun while searching the kids. Handcuffs are a must but resorting to violence if they do not resist to arrest is a no no, and definitely reprehensible when the suspects are on the ground defenceless.

Now, were these guys really fleeing another group who allegedly was chasing them at knife point ? Either the suspects got cold feet and did not use their firearm (which is good) or they just invented the story to get away easily with their minor road traffic offense.

That being said everyone should be charged:

The kids for traffic violation

One of them with illegal possession of a firearm (with intent or not to use it , loaded or not loaded)

The cops for excessive use of force 

The cops are on inactive duty

What a gang of defenders of cops beating up on kids who are handcuffed and lying on the ground defenseless.

Regardless of what may or may not have happened prior, gun or no gun, was that necessary?  Of course not.  Lock them up and let the court decide their fate. 

I wish all of you good luck if you or a friend or family member happen to have a police encounter and get kicked in the head a few times while lying on the ground handcuffed not resisting.  Somehow I suspect the comments might be a bit different.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Some netizens were shocked at the violence with the media asking whether it was reasonable force. 

Something for the people who say that "lack of enforcement by the police is the reason for people not following the law" to think about.  Thai people don't really want them to. ????‍♂️

As far as I am aware it is legal for Thai citizens to buy and own a gun, but illegal for foreigners.

Neither is it illegal to carry a knife.

So I cannot comprehend why the police officers chose to beat up 3 young Thai men who stopped and asked for help, other than they did it for pleasure and that perhaps they are hand in hand with the gang the youths were running from

• Like 2