Out of the frying pan..... into the Thai police: Motorcyclists kicked sparking outrage

webfact

36 minutes ago, Smithson said:

Why are the cops so hell bent on stopping kids playing basketball that they need to beat them up. In Australia kids are welcome to use school grounds out of hours, they even leave the gates open.

I think you come from an authoritarian country, possibly where carrying guns is common?

Um, your right, I do come from an authoritarian country, i.e. the land down under and the school had already been set fire too twice, and there were others, so there is your reason.

To add to that, we were all told at assembly day in, day out, out of school hours, no students should be on the school grounds, or they could be charged for trespassing.

There were the usual snooker/pool rooms if you wanted to hang there, but shooting hoop in the open was more relaxing and enjoyable that being in an environment of drug dealers, gamblers and break and enter or car stealing type guys, even saw a guy get knifed 7 times for looking at a guy the wrong way.

There were also gangs if you wanted to fight, but the school grounds were a safe and convenient place for us, close to home, and out of sight, i.e. unless a cop car drove into the grounds and made it's way around to us, regardless, you had to know how to talk to cops, as I said before, yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir.

Times have changed no doubt, but also cops in Australia, in particular Sydney, get shat on from a certain race who have no respect for anyone let alone cops, I would love to have seen them try that back in the early 70's when cops were 6ft plus tall and gym junkies or rugby league players when not on the beat, they took cra-p from no one, and rightfully so.

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

Why are the cops so hell bent on stopping kids playing basketball that they need to beat them up. In Australia kids are welcome to use school grounds out of hours, they even leave the gates open.

I think you come from an authoritarian country, possibly where carrying guns is common?

Up here in rural Kamphaeng Phet my son plays basketball most school day till around 6pm 15 km away. At the weekend and on holidays they go to a closer school in the big village and play there.

No police bother them at either of the schools.

4 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I consider it an example of a poorly trained police force with a culture of unaccountability.

Why is it that institutions ALWAYS claim the "bad apple" cliché when they are caught out?

I agree with you on the poorly trained, but I would like to add that the biggest problem is poor leadership from the very top to the bottom ranks.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, your right, I do come from an authoritarian country, i.e. the land down under and the school had already been set fire too twice, and there were others, so there is your reason.

To add to that, we were all told at assembly day in, day out, out of school hours, no students should be on the school grounds, or they could be charged for trespassing.

There were the usual snooker/pool rooms if you wanted to hang there, but shooting hoop in the open was more relaxing and enjoyable that being in an environment of drug dealers, gamblers and break and enter or car stealing type guys, even saw a guy get knifed 7 times for looking at a guy the wrong way.

There were also gangs if you wanted to fight, but the school grounds were a safe and convenient place for us, close to home, and out of sight, i.e. unless a cop car drove into the grounds and made it's way around to us, regardless, you had to know how to talk to cops, as I said before, yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir.

Times have changed no doubt, but also cops in Australia, in particular Sydney, get shat on from a certain race who have no respect for anyone let alone cops, I would love to have seen them try that back in the early 70's when cops were 6ft plus tall and gym junkies or rugby league players when not on the beat, they took cra-p from no one, and rightfully so.

In my 50s and also Australian,  I remember what the police were like. Besides the brutality, they were also very corrupt, especially with the vice and drug squads.

Definitely better now and Australia is a very safe place.

25 minutes ago, Smithson said:

In my 50s and also Australian,  I remember what the police were like. Besides the brutality, they were also very corrupt, especially with the vice and drug squads.

Definitely better now and Australia is a very safe place.

I grew up with the like of Warren Lanfranchi, Carl Crewe and the Singarlas bothers if those names ring a bell, Marrickville and Camperdown.

Yes the cops, Rogerson and the likes of the 21st division were all on the take, and yes the cops are cleaner now, but still corrupt, it just goes higher up the ladder to the politicians.

Australia is safe, but a total nanny state IMO.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I grew up with the like of Warren Lanfranchi, Carl Crewe and the Singarlas bothers if those names ring a bell, Marrickville and Camperdown.

Yes the cops, Rogerson and the likes of the 21st division were all on the take, and yes the cops are cleaner now, but still corrupt, it just goes higher up the ladder to the politicians.

Australia is safe, but a total nanny state IMO.

Agree totally, once so permissive, now so fearful. Hence we're here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you on the poorly trained, but I would like to add that the biggest problem is poor leadership from the very top to the bottom ranks.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

you need to realise that the RTP are a paramilitary organisation and the second most powerful armed force in Thailand. They are a powerful and influential political force that rule of thumb, opposes the army (e.g. - Prayuth)

Almost all police undergo training with the military before joining police college.

They see their roles as "enforcers" not as servants of the public - regardless of what they write on the side of their cars.. 

Theirs is a history of conflict and coups with little concern over their constitutional role.

comparing the RTP with cops in other countries is a total red herring their history and culture misquote different from anything in Australia or elsewhere....(apart from theft they were founded by an English oval officer who was the first Chief of police.)

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, KhunLA said:

Not a big fan of police violence, if and when it happens unprovoked, but if confronted by a criminal with a gun, not sure I'd be so kind myself.  Maybe they should have took him out for coffee & donuts.  There may be a lot more to the story than what's in the snapshots.  Any threats to PoPo 'if you arrest me' ... we never get the full story.

Criminals carry guns for 1 reason, to use them.

Som nam na

Nothing in the story says he used the gun, it was found during the search. If he wanted to use the gun he would have shot the guys with knives