Big School Drop-Out Rate Post-Covid

webfact

image.png

By Editor

The reopening of schools in Thailand last week revealed a huge number of children missing from class.  “We estimate that up to 120,000 children have left school during Covid-19 and are unable to continue their education after lockdowns were lifted due to family problems and other factors,” said Education Minister Trinuch Thienthong.

She said her ministry is working with related agencies including the police to get as many dropouts back to school as possible.  “So far, we have reached out to about 95,000 children and expect to convince them to come back to schools by June to continue their education,” she added.

The ministry is also collaborating with the Vocational Education Commission to provide free boarding and tuition for rural students at 88 vocational schools nationwide. The program, which is aimed at cutting the dropout rate, serves 5,000 students per year.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Meanwhile, to prevent dropouts due to problems in school, the ministry has established the MOE Safety Centre helpline contactable by phone and social media apps like Line.

“Parents and students can use these channels to directly alert the ministry of problems at schools such as bullying, harassment, or other safety issues, and officials will investigate promptly,” Trinuch said.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/05/big-school-drop-out-rate-post-covid/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2022-05-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

No problem at all. You can dispatch them to Saudi Arabia. After all, it's not going to be easy to fill the 6-million quota that you have so enthusiastically pledged to the sheiks.

Besides, we also need a fine new crop of exploitable menial workers and domestic staff working for peanuts for the elite.

I apologize for my scathing cynicism, but last I heard was that Thailand MANDATES a total of 9 years of so-called "basic education" consisting of 6 years of elementary schooling ("Prathom") plus 3 years of lower secondary schooling ("Mathayom"). So, children "dropping out due to family problems and other factors" should not be cited as an excuse by the education ministry. Why is there no enforcement that children complete their basic education?

Perhaps and even more importantly: Why do parents still need to pay for school uniforms and text books when in fact that should be the financial responsibility of the government that "mandates" that arrangement? I have witnessed on numerous occasions how poor families had to pawn or even sell what meager belongings they had just to being able to purchase those damn compulsory uniforms. Is that burden perhaps among these "other factors" the education ministry cited?   

i have also heard that the police have to buy their own motocycles. joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Age 14 seems to be when many move into the work force and never return to education, but I know many from the few northern villages I lived in that stopped at age 12, many of them girls, to work around the village or in the fields.  The boys were supported as far as going to school, but many were always found at the internet gaming shops spending the money they had been given.

Uniforms are another issue that just grinds families down, instead of recycling them and handing them down they must always have new uniforms which constantly change.

Like a military Stile for kids?????
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-school-drops-military-style-uniforms-for-kindergarteners-after-backlash/

Edited by Tarteso

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She said her ministry is working with related agencies including the police to get as many dropouts back to school as possible. 

Change that word to poor and you'd be more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big School Drop-Out Rate Post-Covid

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“We estimate that up to 120,000 children have left school during Covid-19

Sounds like a big school drop-out rate during covid.  They didn't wait for covid to finish then drop out.

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Part of the issue I am sure is that a lot of these students were in the semi private schools.  Mom and Dad can not pay the freight so they are left out by the schools.

All their friends go to these schools and there is no way to automatically admit students into the government schools nor probably any desire by the kids to go there.

Also as one of my students told me the government schools are not free either.

Personally I think the whole system is screwed up and needs an outside organization that is not American to come in and take a look.

Obviously a USA hater here. The American public school system is a total mess due to the teacher’s union which has ruined a once wonderful system. However, American private and parochial schools are among the best in the world so keep your vitriol to yourself.

• Like 1

The Thai state do not know what to do with their graduates either .There is an absence of forward thinking policy . With tourism once its great invisible export, now in the doldrums and unlikely to recover there is an urgent need for forward thinking education policies which concentrate on future needs of the country and its population.. Thailand is slipping down the educational league tables and more quality science and vocational training is needed to raise the hopes and aspirations of these school age children..
what are the Ministry of Educations current objectives I wonder.?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

outside organization that is not American

British school system is so pretentious and convoluted it boggles the mind. A dozen subjects that could be half. This level and that level. Public is private and private is public. Just like everything British it's overly complicated and under delivers.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, BonMot said:

British school system is so pretentious and convoluted it boggles the mind. A dozen subjects that could be half. This level and that level. Public is private and private is public. Just like everything British it's overly complicated and under delivers.

They are called "public schools" because they are open to the public irrespective of locality , denomination, or paternal trade or profession .

• Like 1

Maybe they just smartened up, and decided they did not want to return to crappy teachers, in crappy schools, where they have to wear uniforms, are not allowed to question their teachers or curriculum, and get the creative juice drummed out of them. 

Smart kids by my definition. Unless the family has money, their chances of attending university are low. And what does a high school education buy you here? A 12,000 baht a month job? Sometimes the school of hard knocks and life can teach a kid just as much. Many do not seem to be learning much here, with their substandard education. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Dont complicate the issue. This is Thailand. Many people have moved away to different locations. Many children have found work and their parents need them to continue working. Many will have got pregnant and now have a baby. Many reasons.

Edited by jimn

50 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

GF's daughter was told on Friday she needed a backpack from the school (Wat).  She told them she had a brand new one that had just been purchased (all black no logos).  Sorry she was told, not good must have the Schools name and emblem upon it.  1200 baht later, and she had a new back pack in hand, after mom transferred the money to the school, on Friday at 4pm.  Another disgusting issue, as the back pack is not even as sturdy as the one she had, which we bought from a sporting goods store due to its durability.

It's called control. Doesn't need logic or make any sense at all. Control is all that counts. Everyone had to be exactly the same, in everything possible, so that they grow up to be obedient and not upset the status quo. And backpacks are just one symbol of that. I suppose she'd have been expelled for not having the right backpack.

• Like 1

another factor they don't want to admit is some schools are making it mandatory for the students to be double jabbed or they can't come back to school.  disgraceful!! it should be a choice of the parents and the child,    not blackmailed into it. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe they just smartened up, and decided they did not want to return to crappy teachers, in crappy schools, where they have to wear uniforms, are not allowed to question their teachers or curriculum, and get the creative juice drummed out of them. 

Smart kids by my definition. Unless the family has money, their chances of attending university are low. And what does a high school education buy you here? A 12,000 baht a month job? Sometimes the school of hard knocks and life can teach a kid just as much. Many do not seem to be learning much here, with their substandard education. 

@spidermike007  always agree with most of your posts but i don't get the uniform wearing point, wearing a uniform is by far not exclusive to Thailand, as far as i know most countries round the world students have to wear uniforms.   

7 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They've had plenty of time to contact each and every individual child or parent to see if they were coming back to school after all this time, if there were any problems they could have intervened then. To declare now that there are up to 120,000 that have left without them knowing why is a clear indication of their own failures.

Kids will not come back to school and their parents do not understand what school is.

Country going backwards.

Thailand, or  maybe, I should say Bangkok has different quality schools. My Thai relatives have

gone to certain schools as the education was better than at some other schools. The same thing for 

colleges or Universities, there are some better than others. This is the case in most countries of the world.