Seems you need a master’s degree to handle Thai immigration rules

webfact

7 hours ago, Colki said:

Can somebody please verify this......article states.....re insurance of current exemption if you hold work permit, which we know is correct  BUT  then says It is stipulated also covers foreigners returning with a re entry permit authorised before they left Thailand......can anybody please verify is this fact or fiction

For a small fee..lol

3 hours ago, Camillof said:

a NO TIPS sign

Like a NO SEX sign on the wall of a typical massage shop; it's all in the interpretation. But I would never call a government employee a... well, you know...

10 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed and it was all the Thai bureaucracy and BS regarding visas that was one of the reasons why I, with no domestic ties, left Thailand just before borders closed, to continue hassle free retirement in Cambodia - almost 3 years now! When I lived in rural Thailand, one did not have to have a master's degree for a visa, just a friendly local Immigration Officer and a brown envelope - the good old days!! 

Thai borders closed 26 months ago. “three years ago” would be 36 mths.

So rather than simply use an agent you launched what surely must have been a complex disruptive costly relocation exercise fromThailand to Cambodia….. right???? 

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, spidermike007 said:

...We corrupt the women, by encouraging them to be curious about the world, to ask questions, and most importantly (and likely most intolerable for the authorities) we encourage them to question authority. 

What's this 'we' nonsense? Just pay them to leave.

11 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:
22 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed and it was all the Thai bureaucracy and BS regarding visas that was one of the reasons why I, with no domestic ties, left Thailand just before borders closed, to continue hassle free retirement in Cambodia - almost 3 years now! When I lived in rural Thailand, one did not have to have a master's degree for a visa, just a friendly local Immigration Officer and a brown envelope - the good old days!! 

So rather than simply use an agent you launched what surely must have been a complex disruptive costly relocation exercise fromThailand to Cambodia….. right???? 

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/10k-immigrants-lack-visas

tick, tock, tick, tock...

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, I do not see the link between all the illegal foreigners living in Cambodia and myself who is legally registered on the FPCS database with a valid one year retirement (ER) visa. 

With respect, I'm legally registered on the RTP Immigration Division's database with a valid one year retirement extension.

Snap!

18 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Agents aren't compulsory! Lol.

But moving from Thailand  to Cambodia indicates money problems not the interpretation  of rules!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, not at all - very easy. I moved from a part furnished rented Thai bungalow to a fully furnished rented apartment in Siem Reap which I had previously organized on an earlier visit, so no furniture or other fittings to worry about. I left all my kitchen equipment including a hot plate and refrigerator, also a TV, computer printer, desk, sofa, fans and DVD player to my Thai landlady to dispose of as she saw fit. The new Cambodian apartment was already fitted with flat screen TV's in the bedroom and lounge. A sofa and table with chairs were included. There was a large refrigerator in the kitchen. Certain personal possessions I packed into 3 large Thai Post boxes which were delivered to Siem Reap post office. I sold my Nissan pick-up to a local ex-pat a couple of days before departure. His family kindly drove me to the local airport where I boarded an Air Asia flight for my "fly through" journey via DMK to Siem Reap. I got a Cambodian visa on arrival for 30$. The only luggage I had with me was a suitcase containing my computer. Friends met me at the airport and conveyed me to the apartment. Once established I purchased a new office desk (50$) and a new HP printer (40$) to set up my computer work station. Also purchased was a tall bookcase, a DVD player and a cooking hotplate. So, overall, relatively inexpensive and no need for an agent or a lorry to move furniture etc. from Thailand to Cambodia.  I no longer drive a vehicle as it is not necessary living in a city.

But I am unclear why you  moved- because of immigration  rules?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But I am unclear why you  moved- because of immigration  rules?

Yes, one of the main reasons including Thai bureaucracy in general. I visited Cambodia on many occasions before my re-location and the country's hassle free requirements for retirement suited me. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:50 AM, SmartyMarty said:

Never had any issues navigating around the rules and regulations. Mind you, I've always used an agent to smooth the way ahead.

Note that for NON - O visa for reason of supporting Thai wife, that 40,000 ฿ per month is acceptable, and this has not changed. 40K x 12 months = 480,000 per year. Most expats supporting a Thai wife spend double this figure.

IMG_20220529_0001.pdf

On 5/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, Burma Bill said:

Yes, one of the main reasons including Thai bureaucracy in general. I visited Cambodia on many occasions before my re-location and the country's hassle free requirements for retirement suited me. 

......and these base ideals of relocation appear to be the fashionable trend of the last few years, as the broad Thai immigration policies and regulations become increasingly ridiculous and suppressed, creating a very unwelcoming sense.

Laos and Cambodia have eased and somewhat "liberalized" there long-term/resident protocols, making it much more attractive to jump - especially Laos, where the culture and language are already comfortably familiar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:38 AM, ozz1 said:

I find the best method is go to your local immigration office before time and get in writing what they want or use a agent it's not that hard really

And keep in mind that gaining a visa etc., to enter, continue your stay, try to do the steps towards PR and citizenship for other countries are just as complex. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

And keep in mind that gaining a visa etc., to enter, continue your stay, try to do the steps towards PR and citizenship for other countries are just as complex. 

I agree, but as someone who thought seriously of retiring there years ago I would never do it now given all this mandatory reporting, having to bribe officials to make things go easier, and unclear rules.  

There is nothing I despise more than corruption and I won't feed it.  I did once in another country but the only other option was to come back 2 days later and I would have to stay in a city that was a total dump.  So for me in that one case it was worth it.  In a place like Thailand, an allegedly second world country this should have been gone long ago.  It's shameful on the officials and it makes Thailand as a country look shameful which is a real pity.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/24/2022 at 7:04 AM, steven100 said:

Travelers looking for a two week holiday spot don't want the hassle with ' Thailand Pass "  paperwork and QR codes etc ....     

they just want to pack their suitcase and jump on the plane.

They don't mind showing their vaccination certificate on arrival but that's it.

Thailand has shot itself in the foot big time with all this paperwork BS.  

Vietnam,  Cambodia, Laos, Philippines, Malaysia and Japan  are enjoying more & more tourists thanks to Thailand's stupidity.      

ThaiPass is a 10 min process as easy as booking a flight or hotel   the countries you mentioned also have some requirements that are often omitted or just recently changed 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:46 PM, Blumpie said:

I agree, but as someone who thought seriously of retiring there years ago I would never do it now given all this mandatory reporting, having to bribe officials to make things go easier, and unclear rules.  

There is nothing I despise more than corruption and I won't feed it.  I did once in another country but the only other option was to come back 2 days later and I would have to stay in a city that was a total dump.  So for me in that one case it was worth it.  In a place like Thailand, an allegedly second world country this should have been gone long ago.  It's shameful on the officials and it makes Thailand as a country look shameful which is a real pity.  

Bribing officials for visas, etc. is not a requirement and although gets widespread publicity is not an everyday occurrence to foreigners. Does it happen yes but more often its Thai to Thai. Corruption in this manner is shameful as it holds down the entire population and prevents real social improvement. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Corruption in this manner is shameful as it holds down the entire population and prevents real social improvement. 

Well not 'entire'... I suspect those working for immigration and their families enjoy a lifestyle above their paygrade. 

59 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Bribing officials for visas, etc. is not a requirement and although gets widespread publicity is not an everyday occurrence to foreigners. Does it happen yes but more often its Thai to Thai. Corruption in this manner is shameful as it holds down the entire population and prevents real social improvement. 

And the reality is that a very large % of Thais when faced with demands for bribes either pay up or disappear because they:

- Have been taught by parents/they have observed in the broader society that:

- You should always/seriously avoid any form of confrontation (still even today a strong item).

- Confrontation is not polite/seriously not polite when it involved an older person/a person of

'higher rank'.  

- Confrontation risks more problems when trying to get something approved at a later date etc.,

e.g. at a gov't office.

- Confrontation risks violence/injury to self and family.  

- Confrontation risks 'branding' of the family as troublemakers and the family being ostracised            by neighbors/the village etc. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And the reality is that a very large % of Thais when faced with demands for bribes either pay up or disappear because they:

- Have been taught by parents/they have observed in the broader society that:

- You should always/seriously avoid any form of confrontation (still even today a strong item).

- Confrontation is not polite/seriously not polite when it involved an older person/a person of

'higher rank'.  

- Confrontation risks more problems when trying to get something approved at a later date etc.,

e.g. at a gov't office.

- Confrontation risks violence/injury to self and family.  

- Confrontation risks 'branding' of the family as troublemakers and the family being ostracised            by neighbors/the village etc. 

On the contrary - every Thai that I know or familiar with have always [instinctively] dismissed or challenge this rather common activity of authoritarian bribe convenience. The larger percentage don't put up with this BS nor play the game. 

Guess it all narrows down to greater circle that one keeps.......long time exposure, experience and perspectives might be a better guide than to delved into the expected societal stereotypes, pretending to know the cultural character [therefore, casting the whole lot] with limited experience and real life everyday interactions. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:50 AM, SmartyMarty said:

Never had any issues navigating around the rules and regulations. Mind you, I've always used an agent to smooth the way ahead.

Use Agent here only for Retirement Stay as I object to the 800k, too critical & avoids potential of getting humiliated / messed around. 22k.

So premium of 20k each year. well worth it????????????

• Confused 1

On 5/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, Burma Bill said:

But nothing there…. a “poor photocopy” of Thailand I submit  ….boring as <deleted> no doubt ????????

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep, the people who say it puts people off have almost certainly never done it themselves.  I did one three weeks ago for a trip to the UK, very simple.  And I have just done one now for a trip to Singapore next week and they have simplified it further.  Previously you needed to upload details of each vaccine shot, state your purpose of visit.   Now they don't ask purpose and you only need to upload a QR code of your third shot.  Very very simple and quick.  Took me less than 5 minutes.

And now they promise you get your answer in less than two hours.

And just got issued my QR code, 29 minutes after submitting my application.  It really is super simple.

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

On the contrary - every Thai that I know or familiar with have always [instinctively] dismissed or challenge this rather common activity of authoritarian bribe convenience. The larger percentage don't put up with this BS nor play the game. 

Guess it all narrows down to greater circle that one keeps.......long time exposure, experience and perspectives might be a better guide than to delved into the expected societal stereotypes, pretending to know the cultural character [therefore, casting the whole lot] with limited experience and real life everyday interactions. 

My posted comment comes for 35+ years of living/working in Thailand with junior and very senior Thai folks and with regular exposure/conversations with numerous Thai folks, some well educated, some not (not their fault) and from exposure (through my now departed Thai wife) to a very large complex, functional and  disfunctional family, many instances of irrational fighting in the family and with neighbors, amphur offices. police, etc.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Use Agent here only for Retirement Stay as I object to the 800k, too critical & avoids potential of getting humiliated / messed around. 22k.

So premium of 20k each year. well worth it????????????

22K a year, you're overpaying by approx 9.5K (Unless you're on a Non Imm OA & also object to having Health Insurance in which case you're only overpaying by 7K). 

I pay my agent 8K pa (includes the 1,900 THB immigration fee) to do my extension... Well worth it to me but then again I don't care about leaving 800K in the bank as I believe in keeping 2 years spending money at hand to ride out dips in the stock market / exchange rates...