Ingrown tonail

splodger

On 5/30/2022 at 8:06 AM, Yellowtail said:

If it's not infected, you can just cut it out.

No need to see a doctor, if your man enough for a bit of self surgery....Get a very small  sharp knife or a file or a thumb tack, slowly make a up and down cut into the toenail, and slowly scraping the nail away.....Once you have made a deep groove in the toe nail, the ingrown part can be pulled out with very strong tweezers or hemostats work good...

Yea its going to hurt a bit and it will bleed......But just man-up and you will be ok..

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

No need to see a doctor, if your man enough for a bit of self surgery....Get a very small  sharp knife or a file or a thumb tack, slowly make a up and down cut into the toenail, and slowly scraping the nail away.....Once you have made a deep groove in the toe nail, the ingrown part can be pulled out with very strong tweezers or hemostats work good...

Yea its going to hurt a bit and it will bleed......But just man-up and you will be ok..

I just use a good pair of toe-nail clippers to get it started and a pair of needle-nosed plyers to tear it down and pull it out.

Hurts more than a bit, but pretty much instant relief. I make sure to get a pedicure monthly now....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I just use a good pair of toe-nail clippers to get it started and a pair of needle-nosed plyers to tear it down and pull it out.

Hurts more than a bit, but pretty much instant relief. I make sure to get a pedicure monthly now....

Needle nosed pliers would work great....Yea the pain is bad for a few minutes but goes away pretty fast....

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Or he could just go to a hospital where it will be done properly and painlessly.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Or he could just go to a hospital where it will be done properly and painlessly.

While it would likely be done correctly in a hospital, it will not be painless, but it will likely be less painful, except for the time spent getting there, walking and waiting. 

If you have a good pair of clippers and needle-nose plyers, and your not a pus** it's over pretty quick, but you have to get the whole thing out. Helps a lot to soak in hot water for a while first. 

That said, if it is infected, one should absolutely see a doctor. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:
11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

While it would likely be done correctly in a hospital, it will not be painless

Yes, it will be painless, that's what a local anaesthetic is for, I know from personal experience.  Nothing is felt during the procedure apart from a bit of tugging on the foot. 

I've had the full nail removed painlessly and a 1/3 removal of the offending nail on more than one occasion.   

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, it will be painless, that's what a local anaesthetic is for, I know from personal experience.  Nothing is felt during the procedure apart from a bit of tugging on the foot. 

I've had the full nail removed painlessly and a 1/3 removal of the offending nail on more than one occasion.   

Yea but self surgery is so satisfying....lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Again, except for the time spent getting there, walking, waiting and recovery. 

Yes for the few minute your toe is anesthetized it is painless, and indeed, "...a man has got to know his limitations." 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Or simply see a doctor, suffer less, and don't risk septicemia. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
On 5/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Again, except for the time spent getting there, walking, waiting and recovery. 

Apart from getting there, all that also applies to digging it out yourself except that the pain will likely be greater as will the risk of infection with self-surgery.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Apart from getting there, all that also applies to digging it out yourself except that the pain will likely be greater as will the risk of infection with self-surgery.

Also unless he has brand new needle nose pliers, I sure as hell wouldn't try home surgery with some old dirty tools, so he will have to "spend time getting/walking" around buying new tools. 

• Haha 2