Considering a grid tied solar set up at our place... Need help

I used to have a very basic off grid solar arrangement 12v for back in the USA. 

I am curious about establishing a grid tied set up for our residence here in the BKK  area, but haven't a clue who I should contact.  

Any info on a place where I can get the info to do the math to see if it will be cost effective for us over here.

If you folks could point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged.

How many PEA unuts / kWh a month are you using on average now ?

Assume you own the home and or plan on living there for the next 5-10 years.

Edited by KhunLA

35 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Not sure the KWH... we are spending @ 3000baht a month.  We'll be here for the next 20 years.

OK, that's going to be (very roughly) 660 kWh per month or 22kWh per day.

Do you have a conventional spinning disc meter or an electronic meter?

Are you going DIY or contractor, DIY would mean you can never legally export to the grid (but "everybody" does).

Roughly how much of your bill do you want to offset?

It would be handy to know your daytime and nightime usage split (read your meter at say 6AM and 6PM for a few days).

Budget!

@007 RED put up a system that would probably suit, decent return without breaking the bank.

Also, check if there are any solar installers in your area and see what they are offering, then come back here with same for an independant view. Global House were offering all-in prices on grid-tie systems but they seem to have gone from the website ???? 

We are into this too, our monthly consumtion is in the 500-700 kwh range.

Say average 20 kwh per 24 hours. 

I checked the daytime usage from 6 am to 6 pm, 12 hours of mainly fridges and fans, no AC use during daytime.

We average about 6 kwh daytime use, so 6x30=180 kwh a month.

Worth it to install solar panels for us? Initial cost, maintenance, replacement of faulty things and so on, hm maybe I give it a try

5 hours ago, sezze said:

Only , remember that your electricity guy who does check your monthly expenses , does not see the meter running back . This is pretty easy to avoid , if you shut down the panels around the day he comes ( he does come always around the same date , +/-1day . )

Our man comes 18/19th of the month, the earliest he's ever been is the 16th (regular for February).

The comment from our local PEA Boss Chap when we told him we weren't interested in the Solar Roof initiative "You are NOT allowed to spin the meter backwards!!!" on the way out he quietly said "Don't let the meter-reader see it going backwards" :whistling:

I "developed" a simple little unit to enable no export (or disable the panels if your inverter doesn't do it). Details in the Solar Carport thread. I have improved the firmware somewhat from the version in that thread. Anyone can build one, you don't even need to know how to solder although it does help if you want to include the manual bypass switch ???? 

@007 RED has built one.

• Thanks 1