Quiet and alone?

Lacessit

Agree with the chronic noise element....horrendous.......I am buying/building a 'knock down' house out in the rice fields.........only be in our new house four weeks and I've had enough. First sound of a bass note and I'm off for the day.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am very comfortable with being quiet and alone. What about you, and what are your experiences with your Thai significant other?

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever. My wife is often alone downstairs when I work upstairs while the children are in school. She no need to turn on any sound. That is what we call a normal life. You should try that. However, as you say you are very comfortable with being quiet and alone. My advice would be, that you should go over to that as it seem to suit you better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

About the same, #4 Wifey is 45 vs 67, and only slowed down just a wee bit.  Give her credit though, she does try to keep up.

Four wives? What did you do with the first three, wear them out?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever. My wife is often alone downstairs when I work upstairs while the children are in school. She no need to turn on any sound. That is what we call a normal life. You should try that. However, as you say you are very comfortable with being quiet and alone. My advice would be, that you should go over to that as it seem to suit you better.

Already there, have the weekdays in the condo, go to my GF's house in the village over the weekend.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Four wives? What did you do with the first three, wear them out?

They didn't stand the 'test of time' ... till death do we part ... damn scary stuff.  Short lived marriages, 3, 1 & almost 2 yrs.  This one just passed 16 yrs living together, 8 yrs of that, married.

Should be the last one ... ????

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They didn't stand the 'test of time' ... till death do we part ... damn scary stuff.  Short lived marriages, 3, 1 & almost 2 yrs.  This one just passed 16 yrs living together, 8 yrs of that, married.

Should be the last one ... ????

I was brought up in an era where there was no "try before you buy", unfortunately. Also an era where divorce was frowned upon.

Ah, if I had known then what I know now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What I have observed is that if there is no noise , the TV is off etc, then she is asleep within 10 minutes or less !

Imagine at Big C, Lotus etc no noise.

They would all be sleeping all day long.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Just returned to BKK for some peace and quiet after three months in a rural location. 

Every single house and car has a sound system in the villages around us.

Quiet live in rural Isaan????

• Haha 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

I like to consider Thailand a distant planet, rather than a foreign country. Helps me to relate with the zaniness of the place. 

Zany? How about this, the latest container for iced tea?

penisbagtea.png

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think some Thais mistake a cell phone for a megaphone, and have a hard time conceiving that their voice is being transmitted electronically, rather than forcefully. 

And what's up with letting the phone ring 25 times? 

I like to consider Thailand a distant planet, rather than a foreign country. Helps me to relate with the zaniness of the place. 

I have also noticed that many Thais seem to find silence uncomfortable. 

What about the miming and the hand gestures when they are talking on the phone, as if the other person can see ????????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

What about the miming and the hand gestures when they are talking on the phone, as if the other person can see ????????

I've always thought if one chopped off the hands of Italians, they'd be at a loss for words.

Many Thais have damaged hearing from the extreme volume from birth at the party for any event they can think of scenario, including at school. It is as if they are wearing headphones.....

The habit that gets me is when they 'shout at the house', as I call it - when they arrive wanting to speak with someone inside. I ignore them until they get to the door and peer in, unless the wife has already bellowed in response, destroying my calm existence once again.

Had to change the fluorescent light tube in the room of a trainee teacher tenant in our residence this morning - she has 2 huge soft toys on her bed to sleep between.

11 hours ago, Hummin said:

Built a farm out in nowhere and my second floor room and balcony in one end, and the kitchen in the other end, meaning I built a long house and about 30m total lenght????

Like a shipping container.

Good idea.

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Share a picture of your girlfriend, maybe a few ASEAN members can help out.

We are a big family.

Here you go, knock yourself out, stud muffin.

fugly.png

• Haha 1

Not my experience with my partner. She is more than capable of being silent in all sorts of places, and she actually loves the quiet periods within my/our home. She gets very joyful after meditation time ☺️

Lots of Thais love chatting away. Whether this is due to anxiety over the 'loudness of silence' I have never discussed this at depth with anyone here so I would be opining on this without first hand understanding from Thai's themselves. The loudness, and profusion of PA and muzac systems is certainly a 'thing' here lol ???? no doubt about it.. Its an interesting paradox no, that Thais usually speak modestly and lowly compared to loud Falangs and yet they do love their muzac etc.

I adore how we can go to a restaurant anywhere hi-so or roadside and sit in peace and speak quietly without having to yell in order to compensate for incredibly loud falangs.

One of the many joys of Thailand for me is this experience.

As for being together and sometimes sleeping together (as in sisters case) this is an ancient cultural practice and for Thais quite normal.

My darling does not crave that at all. But does love to hold her mums hand when we visit in BKK. This is very sweet and loving I find and it's clear that care and live is being shared. Mumma comes to stay, which is regularly since I can afford to fly her in as we please and we both get to spoil her rotten.

We, in many western cultures, don't revere or depend on family in the same ways as we once did, and certainly in ways alien to Thai culture.

While I could do without some of the noise, I find friendly people chatting loudly refreshing. 

To me, all people speaking foreign languages sound like they are hollering. 

So chat-boards like this are popular because we are all crave solitude so desperately? 

One of the few times my wife seems to crave solitude and silence is when she locks herself in the bathroom for ablutions. Then it is like a cone of silence has descended around her and she can't hear anything at all. Even if all hell broke loose outside, or there was a fire, she would blissfully remain locked away. 

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So chat-boards like this are popular because we are all crave solitude so desperately? 

IMO they are popular because everyone can pick and choose whether to participate or simply observe.

They are also popular because anyone can get informed advice on a range of issues to do with living in Thailand.

It's difficult to disengage from boors and idiots in person, here it is easy.

• Haha 2