Pratumnak

Guest truthman

Guest truthman

Does anyone happen to live in Pratumnak? I was wondering if anybody has any opinions on whether it's a good area to live. Also, is it requisite to have your own mode of transporation. I know Bolt is available but I'm more interested in whether the aea is walkable and whether shopping is adequate. Any insights appreciated.

Right now would be a pretty good time to try Pratumnak out.

There are still a lot of excellent rental deals available in the Pratumnak area.  A friend just found a 40 s/m 1BR in a decent building for B8000/m, 6 month commitment.

No doubt once the Europeans, Russians and other regular visitors and residents start to return the prices will shoot-up but for the foreseeable future,  bargains to be had.

BTW, I was able to negotiate a decent motorbike rental for B1500/m.  Saves the hassle of owning and registering.  Downside is frequent police checkpoints in the beach area.  Got to have your license in order. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

It's the Beverly Hills of Pattaya.

555 I saw that YT Video & thought <deleted>! Has he never heard of Wongamat?!!?

Joking aside Last month I did a 5 day stay in Pratumnak to see if I could live there & all of the Condos that I was interested in (I need 2br 2bth) were on the other side of Kasetsin Road from the places that I might hang out (Soi 5 / Dongtan Beach etc...) & to get between the 2 you seem to have to go all the way up to the foot of Buddha Hill & back down Soi 5 & much though I love to walk, I would get bored with doing that pretty quickly. 

Must admit that I don't have my own transport & have no plans to get any, guys that do have are very happy living around there & I can see the attraction. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Joking aside Last month I did a 5 day stay in Pratumnak to see if I could live there & all of the Condos that I was interested in (I need 2br 2bth) were on the other side of Kasetsin Road from the places that I might hang out (Soi 5 / Dongtan Beach etc...) & to get between the 2 you seem to have to go all the way up to the foot of Buddha Hill & back down Soi 5 & much though I love to walk, I would get bored with doing that pretty quickly. 

Must admit that I don't have my own transport & have no plans to get any, guys that do have are very happy living around there & I can see the attraction. 

Ball ache without your own transport for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Downside is frequent police checkpoints in the beach area.  Got to have your license in order. 

You mean Pattaya beach? Or somewhere in Pratamnak/Dongtan??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

It's the Beverly Hills of Pattaya.

Heard that expression every now and then, wondering who should be credited for creation of that comparison.

Used to live in southern CA long time ago and drove around in BH sometimes...have to admit my imagination is too limited to come up with that comparison..,

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Kasetsin is a dead zone I wouldn't recommend that, just too out the way but the condos look nice plus cheaper for obvious reasons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is not bad plenty of bars and restaurants around there and easy access via the beach road to Jomtien.  Transport is necessary for markets, malls, etc.

Be careful where you decide to live.  My friend recently bought a place and had no idea about the Viewpoint activities on the adjacent hill.  Many times a day loud crack, crack, crack firecrackers being set off the noise echoes down the hill.  I was at his room one day when it happened, very loud and annoying glad I do not live in his building.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest truthman

So the consensus seems to be that it's only feasible if you have your own transport. Does anybody live there who doesn't have a motorbike or car?

1 hour ago, truthman said:

So the consensus seems to be that it's only feasible if you have your own transport. Does anybody live there who doesn't have a motorbike or car?

I live here - definitely  never needed bike or truck. Now with Bolt so cheap it's not necessary at all.  I would  suggest  it's a foolish  waste of money especially  if you are a drinker. Pratumnak  has bars, G clubs, music venues several beaches cafes and restaurants. You can walk from  soi  5 to Jomtien  along the beach. The massive food market connecting soi 6 is starting again big beer 70 baht. There are two sauna  bars. Unless you  have mobility problems you don't need  a car or bike.  The European  supermarket food mart on the baht bus route. Once you start  walking around a  bit it makes you  realise what an unnecessary expense  and burden a vehicle  is. Pratumnak  is very nice to walk around. Even during covid  there was a  buzz around Yim Yom Beach and all the way  back up  to Berney  Music  Lounge there are bars, restaurants  and plenty of food stalls and a  bakery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Over about 7 years my wife and I rented at many locations around Pattaya, including VT6, VT1, Base, Pattaya Beach Condo, Unixx and a few others.

Best location ever (for us) is Pratumnak area close to top of Theppraya Rd.  Short walk to get the baht bus and then a few minutes to either Pattaya or Jomtien.  Or in the evening we take a stroll down Soi 5, have a drink or a meal. Then a walk by the beach before taking the bahtbus back up Threppaya.

Very very convenient location. We do have a car but don't need to use it that often.

Luckily it seems that not everybody knows what is an evidence for us !

when I see the losers rent or buy far from any bathbus line, I wonder if they ever knew or understood anything in their life.

By the way, I have car, bike and quad, but I would consider myself as a real retard to always rely on vehicles to go anywhere and not even be able to walk around....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I hated fratamack hill area. there were packs of wild dingo's in the park area walking in on katesin. the kind you need to cross the street to avoid, not nice soi dogs. you would get bitten sooner or later if you are coming home at night, especially if you had a couple beers and like wearing shorts and sandals. live there and sit in your room all day and think about what a great deal the room was.

• Haha 2

I lived on the Kasetsin side of Pratamnak for a year. A guy in my building had a very nasty looking scar on his right calf from a dog bite. He was an avid walker.  I got chased a few times even on my scooter.  But it was their barking in the wee hours that really bothered me.  Now I live in Unixx, which has windows and walls that keep out almost all noise.
Another thing I didn't like about Kasetsin, as someone mentioned above, is that it's not connected to the rest of Pratamnak (because of the royal property in the area I've been told). Even on a scooter I got tired of having to go all the way up to Pratamnak Road and then back down Soi 5 to get to the big beach. Cozy Beach is OK but isn't long enough to go for a proper walk.  starts

If I wasn't happy in Unixx, I'd look for something in Pratamnak on Soi 4, 5, or 6.  BTW, there's a baht bus that stops in the Unixx parking lot. 

On 5/27/2022 at 10:51 PM, bangkokstick said:

Luckily it seems that not everybody knows what is an evidence for us !

when I see the losers rent or buy far from any bathbus line, I wonder if they ever knew or understood anything in their life.

By the way, I have car, bike and quad, but I would consider myself as a real retard to always rely on vehicles to go anywhere and not even be able to walk around....

And your point is?

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:48 PM, JimTripper said:

I hated fratamack hill area. there were packs of wild dingo's in the park area walking in on katesin. the kind you need to cross the street to avoid, not nice soi dogs. you would get bitten sooner or later if you are coming home at night, especially if you had a couple beers and like wearing shorts and sandals. live there and sit in your room all day and think about what a great deal the room was.

Soi Kasetsin has no shops or bars. Why would people walk there? It runs parallel  with Soi Cozy Beach which is actually  called Soi Wacharwarun and had all the bars, shops and restaurants. Unfortunately it had heavy roadworks for a long time.  It runs down to the beach where in Kasetin Soi 11 there  are now several  beautiful  restaurants. The dogs  were a nuisance  but the  situation  seems  better now. But  that road is now dispiriting with so many places closed but it will get busy again.

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:11 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

Soi Kasetsin has no shops or bars. Why would people walk there? It runs parallel  with Soi Cozy Beach which is actually  called Soi Wacharwarun and had all the bars, shops and restaurants. Unfortunately it had heavy roadworks for a long time.  It runs down to the beach where in Kasetin Soi 11 there  are now several  beautiful  restaurants. The dogs  were a nuisance  but the  situation  seems  better now. But  that road is now dispiriting with so many places closed but it will get busy again.

Because it's one of the very few streets out of the Buddha Hill area if you are on foot and don't want to get eaten by a dingo.

Let me know when it becomes a great area and I will rent there. I have no problems with that.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1