Pratumnak

Guest truthman

On 5/27/2022 at 8:01 AM, truthman said:

Does anyone happen to live in Pratumnak? I was wondering if anybody has any opinions on whether it's a good area to live. Also, is it requisite to have your own mode of transporation. I know Bolt is available but I'm more interested in whether the aea is walkable and whether shopping is adequate. Any insights appreciated.

I have been living in the area for 16 years, close to the park on the hill. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I use my own motorcycles (scooter) for transport. If you don't wish to ride motorcycles, then maybe it's not the area for you.

4 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I have been living in the area for 16 years, close to the park on the hill. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I use my own motorcycles (scooter) for transport. If you don't wish to ride motorcycles, then maybe it's not the area for you.

What do you do up there, just sit in your room or stay in the buildings facilities or resort enclosure, like gym, fitness room, pool, etc?

Personally, I need to "live in the neighborhood". That means exploring, hiking around, finding new things, etc. and it cannot include only driving out of the area each time or taking a bolt taxi into town.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

What do you do up there, just sit in your room or stay in the buildings facilities or resort enclosure, like gym, fitness room, pool, etc?

Personally, I need to "live in the neighborhood". That means exploring, hiking around, finding new things, etc. and it cannot include only driving out of the area each time or taking a bolt taxi into town.

It's just as good there as anywhere else. Phra Tamnak has green places for walking; cannot fault it for that. The dogs aren't a bother once you introduce yourself. Though the Kasetsin/Cosy Beach area itself is like a small isolated village. Nothing wrong with that. Depends on how you want to live. It won't suit everyone; nor should it.

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

One of nice things about Pratumnak is the Pratumnak park, nice living nearby with all the trees, plus a seaview maybe and up the top will never flood unlike central Pattaya and parts of Jomtien

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was highly entertained by this thread, because I found myself wondering the same thing a couple months ago: What is it about this place, other than the fact that it seems to attract slightly more wealthy expats than other neighborhoods, that is supposed to be so great? (After reading two pages of replies, I am thankful that there doesn't seem to be an answer — I was half expecting to read some revelation about it and have buyer's renter's remorse about where I wound up instead.

In searching for a condo, I narrowed choices to two buildings in Jomtien, two closer to central Pattaya, and two in North Pattaya/Wagamat Beach. Of the five agents I met with, four told the the best place to live was Pratumnak and I just HAD to see [insert wildly different building recommendation from each agent]. But none could articulate what made it such a great area. I was finally convinced to take a look at one unit there, and spent an hour or so walking around after seeing it, and just could not figure it out. It wound up last on my list when it was time to rank what I'd seen over the course of a week.

I also heard the "Beverly Hills of Pattaya" line from one of the agents, after I'd already visited, and though she clearly meant that to be a selling point, the Northern Californian in me replied quickly, "You're right, it is!! ... In that it's overpriced and fine to visit for an evening but I don't want to live there."  

Anyway, I'm glad that the folks who live there love it, it sounds like. We all want different things from housing here — or anywhere — I suppose.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, Excel said:

Well that really is an interesting and stimulating first post of yours. I eagerly await your next one

What's really great is they actually went up there and walked around before deciding.

That's the same thing I did when I first considered it, having been fooled by pictures before.

Same result. Never went back and did not fancy the area.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:21 PM, JimTripper said:

Basically I do the same as I would do anywhere else that I live. 

I'm not in a room, but 4 bedroom 240m2 condo which is a whole floor. I have a fully equipped home gym and walk in the Park, which is 400m from my door - about 100km a month on average. The neighbourhood is peaceful, private and I wake up to bird chirping as I'm quite far off the main roads, but only a few blocks from Walking Street and the beach. The better the place where you live, the less you need to roam around looking for something to do. Your place might be so sh*tty that you need to get out all the time to find a life. I get that, but it's not my thing.

Any other questions you'd like answered?

Edited by JensenZ
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2