Foreign Tourist Seen Driving On The Wrong Side Of The Road In Chiang Mai

webfact

It would be common sense to think it was a foreigner, after all, Burma, Laos, Vietnam and China all drive on the right.

It's easily done. Many years ago after a driving holiday in Europe I came out of the hotel loaded the car up and started to drive home  on the wrong side of the road.

Nobody else in the car noticed. It was only when I saw a vehicle coming towards me that I realized.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roger101 said:

It would be common sense to think it was a foreigner, after all, Burma, Laos, Vietnam and China all drive on the right.

It's easily done. Many years ago after a driving holiday in Europe I came out of the hotel loaded the car up and started to drive home  on the wrong side of the road.

Nobody else in the car noticed. It was only when I saw a vehicle coming towards me that I realized.

Same here, after a long time driving in Thailand, I was driving a car in my RHD home country and for perhaps 15 seconds I drove on the left, luckily it was an empty mountain road and as soon as a car appeared in the opposite direction I realized with a shock my mistake - and a sigh of relief for not meeting the other car at a curve.

So yes, that car was a danger to itself and others, but it can happen.

IMO, the driver in the car behind is equally to blame.

• Like 1

There are places in the world where it is a violation to be fiddling with your phone while driving.  This FB poster has incriminated himself of a moving violation, if LOS had such laws, and he would have to pay 200b on the spot.

• Sad 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, Aussieroaming said:

It isn't rocket science to get it right regardless of LHD or RHD, I've driven both extensively. I wonder if it was a Chinese tourist in their LHD vehicle getting confused.

I've seen the Chinese tourists on scooters wandering to their 'right' side of the road around Pai until they realise they have to get back to the proper left side when a huge Hilux is about to wipe them out ..

A few years back some Isreali C*&4t in a rented 4x4 smashed into locals near Chiang Dao killing them after forgetting to drive on the left

On 5/28/2022 at 1:52 AM, RichardColeman said:

Maybe he's an Indian and been told the ladyboys always hang out on the left side of the road  ?

he was told the necklace snatchers are always on the left

On 5/28/2022 at 6:20 AM, Thailand said:

And the person taking the video, dipstick, driving one handed taking a video and not flashing warnings to the driver in front.

Maybe, just maybe there is the off chance there was a passenger filming the other car. I know that's an absolutely outrageous possibility but hey, who knows, stranger things have happened.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:35 AM, Iamfalang said:

Falangs are responsible for the dangerous roads!  First Covid! Now this.  Falang…bad

76 years in Thailand.  Never saw a Thai drive recklessly. best drivers in the world.  This falang must be arrested, deported! Take their house! Etc….

your post is very comedic should get a job in comedy!!!!!!!

On 5/27/2022 at 7:30 PM, Ralf001 said:

Not seeing the issue to be honest, I always go out wide to cut into the corner for the best racing line.

Yeah.  I like to broad slide around corners with the wheels in the air then cut to the inside.

1990's Cary Faas USAC Sprint Car Helmet – Racing Hall of Fame Collection